PDA

View Full Version : Fight like you have a fight... (a possible solution to the competition debate?)

Ryu
08-04-2003, 10:17 AM
I've been reading both sides of the issue about competition vs. training etc. and I wanted to offer this to see what both sides think. :D

Train like you are training for a competitive fight. :)

Make a big part of your martial training active training as if you are preparing for a competitive fight.

That means drill moves that you would try in a competitive fight, spar hard with fully resistant training partners who are trying to beat you and not allow you to pull off your techniques.

Condition yourself by running, sprints, circuit training. Pump out hundreds (if you can) of bodyweight calisthenics such as Hindu squats, Hindu pushups, pull ups, chin ups, dips, handstand pushups, ab work, etc.

Study fight tapes, matches, etc. and continually work on body mechanics, power, speed, timing. Every new move you want to work on should be sparred in progressively more resistant environments.

What do you think?
A formula that any MArtist can follow?

This will leave room for training more esoteric and "lethal" things too, just train them in a seperate environment.
Even if your art is largely made up of these things, take some time aside for the training I mentioned above.

Train like you were preparing for a competitive fight. Regardless if you compete or not.

? Good idea? No?

:)

Ryu

fa_jing
08-04-2003, 10:30 AM
works for me! Actually competing, at least a few times, will give you all the more focus....

FatherDog
08-04-2003, 10:31 AM
Best. Post. EVER.

Okay, maybe not. But **** good, nonetheless.

red5angel
08-04-2003, 10:32 AM
I don't think it's an issue most of the time. Your average Martial Artist could probably win the average fight. Sport guys train for exactly that, because that is their goal. I think things are fin the way they are now, people just have to stop arguing about it.

SevenStar
08-04-2003, 10:37 AM
Sounds good to me. Goes back to what many of us have said all along - shut up and train...

Vash
08-04-2003, 10:44 AM
I tend (when not on the gimp) to follow a program akin to this, except I vary my workouts from extremely intense down to a two hour kata and bagwork marathon.

Plus, I have at least two days off a week for recuperation, one active rest, the other nigh-lethargic.

Chang Style Novice
08-04-2003, 10:50 AM
"active rest"? Would you care to define this?

Suntzu
08-04-2003, 11:12 AM
Active rest.... like going out for a bike ride... playing baketball... VERY LIGHT weight training... light BWE workout... cleaning the d@mn house(one of my least fav's)... yard work on a 'off' day... well... those are some of my active rest activities...

shaolinboxer
08-04-2003, 11:32 AM
What if you never want to fight? How should you train then?

CrippledAvenger
08-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by shaolinboxer
What if you never want to fight? How should you train then?

Then why take up martial arts? Why not run a lot and get a degree in counseling?

I think Ryu's post is spot on. Even if you never EVER compete, why not train like you will? You get a better workout (for those into the health aspects), you have some expereince with adrenaline and using said skills under it, and you get an idea of how others use the same art under similar conditions.

And if neither the excercize or fighting is your goal, then I ask once again-- why take martial arts?

MasterKiller
08-04-2003, 12:18 PM
No technique will ever compensate for poor conditioning. If you run out of gas before your opponent, you will get beat, either in the ring or in the street.

Conditioning your body should be an integral part of your martial training, whether you ever plan on using your stuff or not.

shaolinboxer
08-04-2003, 03:58 PM
"And if neither the excercize or fighting is your goal, then I ask once again-- why take martial arts?"

I do train specifically for exercise.... But that aside, what else do you think I might be training for nearly every day if I have no interest in fighting?

What else is there in life besides fighting?

Budokan
08-04-2003, 04:30 PM
Good post. And as for someone who doesn't want to fight...well, then shouldn't you train as if you had to fight in order to avoid a fight when crunch time comes?

Another good observation made on this thread: "Shut up and train." Nothing could be closer to the truth and more beneficial to any martial artist...whether he wants to fight competitively or not. Either way you will rarely come out on the losing end if you simply train hard and keep training hard.

Like I said, good thread. We're about a dozen replies in and no one has said "Bruce Lee sucks" yet. I had to look twice to make sure I was on KFO...;)

CrippledAvenger
08-04-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by shaolinboxer
I do train specifically for exercise.... But that aside, what else do you think I might be training for nearly every day if I have no interest in fighting?

I don't know. Hence me asking the hypothetical. Personally, I like to roughhouse and scrap, so that's the first thing that I would take up any fighting art for. I just have no idea why people would want to train a fighting art IF they don't want either excercize or fighting.

What else is there in life besides fighting?

Good food and sipping bourbon?
;)

shaolinboxer
08-05-2003, 08:21 AM
"Good food and sipping bourbon? "

Absolutely!

Martial arts training should, IMO, enable you to fight like a madcat if need be. However, fighting always causes injury and you run the risk of playing escalado with somebody until they become, quite literally, psychotic.

Time should be spent learning vicious abilities because it is neccessary to address that part of ourselves and our society. But at the same time we can live more stable and less dangerous lives through our practice.

Fights end, but life goes on.

rubthebuddha
08-05-2003, 08:51 AM
and they teach you to defend yourself, so your odds of living longer and sipping more bourbon are higher. ;)

TonyM.
08-05-2003, 08:59 AM
Yep. Best thread yet. Train like you have a big fight coming up.

shaolinboxer
08-05-2003, 09:15 AM
Yes, a big fight.

A big fight with cancer, or old age, or debilitating stress, or an aweful employer, or an endless buracracy, or an evil lawyer, or a drunk thug, or an insecure martial artist, or your child, or your wife, or exhaustion, or injury, or depression, or wieght gain, or terrorism, or destructive forces in our environment, or social pressure, or drugs, or poverty, or.........

StickyHands
08-05-2003, 01:22 PM
are you projecting your personal misery shaolinboxer? j/k. lol. :D

Mr Punch
08-06-2003, 01:51 AM
Bruce Lee sucks.

Elxen
08-06-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Mat
Bruce Lee sucks.

*cough*
sucked

:p

(edit: I know it's hard but you must accept the fact that he is no more....get over it man) ;)

Mr Punch
08-06-2003, 06:59 AM
Actually, he's sitting under my desk...

Oh wait... who the **** is that!:eek:

scotty1
08-06-2003, 07:43 AM
Nice one Ryu.