PDA

View Full Version : wouldn't a glossary of terms be nice?

ninjaboy
08-04-2003, 07:34 PM
is the idea of a PM glossary on this board out of the question?

neil

BeiTangLang
08-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Not out of the question at all. More of a question of how to put it together. I'll have to ask Gene if something like this would be possible. 'tis a good idea IMHO.

tanglang
08-05-2003, 04:30 AM
Would be a good idea .. helps to speak "one " language..;)

yu shan
08-05-2003, 06:40 AM
This is a fantastic idea ninjaboy! Would really help me with understanding and learning from Tainan Mantis and Mantis 108! Many times I`m left in the dark on terminologies. Alot of positive gains can come out of this idea of yours.

Jack Squat
08-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Bravo, NinjaBoy!!!!

Excellent idea- a benefit to us all. Maybe we can con Tianan or Mantis 108 to write it???

Pleeeeease?????:D

Ren Blade
08-05-2003, 07:30 AM
I think it would be ideal when this glossary is put together, that Cantonese and Mandarin terms are considered instead of just one Chinese dialect. Idealy to just avoid any confusion for nonChinese speakers.

ursa major
08-05-2003, 07:39 AM
Very, very cool idea Ninjaboy.

UM.

Mr.Binx
08-05-2003, 07:46 AM
Maybe we could include both the mandarin and cantonese names for tanglang terminology since not all individuals learn tanglang under the same language. I wouldn't think it would be too great of an added effort since the two are very similar and this could help the flow of information into our hungry and waiting brains. :D In the meantime, here (http://authentickungfu.com/seven_star/explanations.html) is a link to a basic glossary geared towards sevenstar terminology for those of you who might find use in it. Great question Ninjaboy! Definately a good idea. Hope it gets off the ground as I think everyone can benefit from it.

mantis108
08-05-2003, 04:57 PM
Wow, I really don't know what to say but that I am really honored. Thank you everyone for the great support. :D

Tainan definitely should take the lead. I would do my best to contribute. I am all for a meaningful project such as this. BTW, Sifu Cottrell's site is also a great start in this area.

Warm regards

Mantis108

MantisifuFW
08-05-2003, 06:21 PM
The terms on my site are keyed exactly to the terms in Lee Kam Wing's Yellow Book. If you follow the book technique by technique it will give you some idea how the cantonese goes.

However my romanization is terrible...someone with better skills than I in that area should amend that part.

Steve Cottrell

ninjaboy
08-05-2003, 08:39 PM
aw shucks <blushing>

i just thought that we have a large enough cross section of multilingual people that we could at least be on the same page without having to run to anyone's aid. just let everybody learn how to get hip with the lingo.

it's fantastic to have the people that we have that share information with such generosity but they may not always have time for us to pick their brains.

as formidable as we consider our art of choice to be, would it not be best to allow it's artists to be similarly armed? with information concerning it, that is...???

neil