PDA

View Full Version : choy lay fut kung fu techniques

GARRA DE TIGRE
08-04-2003, 09:24 PM
hello

i want to ask to the GM LKH people about some techniques mentioned in the tat mau wong article of the 10 elements .
they are :

pok yik sao ( flapping crane hand )
gough sao ( cutting knife hand )
seung lap sao ( double seizing hand )
kau ton seung toy jerng ( sweeping double hand takedown )
liu yum jow ( groin grabbing claw )
moung fu ha san ( feroucious tiger descend the mountain )
´seung ma seung fu sao ( advancing double step , double ying yang palms )
yee loong jung jeu ( 2 dragons fight for the pearl )

Eddie
08-04-2003, 11:16 PM
Daniel,
Please could you forward me the article. I havent read it.
I have been in e-mail contact with master Yuen Hong Chow, one of Lee Koon Hung's more senior students. He once told me that he actually wrote the article, many years back, and not Master Wong. He didn't mind it, just probably thought to tell me that. Please, I have the most respect for master Wong, so hope no one takes it as an insult.

E

mysteri
08-04-2003, 11:38 PM
eddie, i'm sure that we can all agree that the message is definitely more important than the messenger. we know that joe kiet writes articles all the time, but that doesn't make master LSH look incompetent right? my sifu asks around our kwoon to see who has good writin styles for when he plans to write more articles about jow ga(plus his english jus isn't all that good :) )

joe keit(if u read this) how long have u been speakin cantonese? my sifu said that he's very impressed that u speak it so well? i got this book/tape package(colloquial cantonese) form my sidai a while ago but have only studied very little of it, like the first chapter or 2. of course it would take more regular talk for me to understand it better( i would like to travel eventually). jus curious...

Eddie
08-05-2003, 02:25 AM
mystery,
I never tried to stirr up trouble, but after I read it again, i could admit it might seem like a weird post. Appologies if i offended anyone. my days are just to hectic at the moment.

:cool:

GARRA DE TIGRE
08-05-2003, 07:17 AM
eddie : i'll going to send the article today .

ps : how are going you web site grand open ?

GARRA DE TIGRE
08-05-2003, 07:29 AM
about master tat wong , this article was writing for a girl called melissa tosetti , not master wong . maybe she based her article in yuen hong chow 's article .

Eddie
08-05-2003, 10:58 AM
GDT,
my old e-mail is back on. the website will be back on in few hours from now.

I'll resepond to your e-mail when I get it.

mysteri
08-05-2003, 03:52 PM
eddie- no worries, i was jus agreein w/ u bro. :)

garre de tigre- whoaa.. no sir, i'm not one of dave lacey's student. people ask me that all the time. i jus really happen to like the man's quote. :) good luck!

Fu-Pow
08-05-2003, 05:15 PM
"pok yik sao ( flapping crane hand )
gough sao ( cutting knife hand )
seung lap sao ( double seizing hand )
kau ton seung toy jerng ( sweeping double hand takedown )
liu yum jow ( groin grabbing claw )
moung fu ha san ( feroucious tiger descend the mountain )
´seung ma seung fu sao ( advancing double step , double ying yang palms )
yee loong jung jeu ( 2 dragons fight for the pearl )"

Well I can help you a little bit here.

I've heard that many CLF techniques have complicated or "poetic" names and they have simplified names.

So you might not recognize the names of the movements.

Also, the translations of these names listed above is not literal so that could lead to some confusion.

So I'll do my best.

1) pok yik sao= "slapping ? hand", this is in the wooden dummy form. And Saap Ji Kau Dah also has "Seung Pok Sau" or "double slapping hand." Not sure what "Yik" means.

2) gough sao is probably more often translated to "daan laan" or single bridge, you see this in many forms. It can be a take down or knife hand technique.

3) kau ton seung toy jeung= "seung toy jeung" translates as "double push palm", this technique is in saap ji kau dah.

4) liu yum jau= " ? down claw" which is in Siu Mui Fah.

5) moung fu ha san= probably more often referred to as simply "fu jao" or "tiger claw." The expression "fierce tiger descends mountain" as I understand it, usually refers to a technique from Hung Ga, not CLF.

6) Seung Ma Seung Fun Sao= "Advance Horse Double Spread Hands." I don't know where the translation above came from. There's no "Yin and Yang" in there. Unless that is an older name for the same form. You see this technique in our 5 animal form.

Hope that helps.

Fu-Pau
08-05-2003, 09:12 PM
Mysteri,

If you want to improve your Cantonese, hop onto a plane to Hong Kong, and drop into any of the dim sum restaurants and start ordering away without the English menu … ok so you may not improve your Cantonese that much, but you'll get a good feed!
:D