PDA

View Full Version : in class, today was the first time ...

rubthebuddha
08-04-2003, 10:39 PM
here's a thread to tell about our firsts in training or in class.

today was the first time my big toe got bent back and around so far that, when it came back, the toenail cut a nice, half-inch flap of skin (left it barely hanging) from the index toe.

to top it off, i injured my left wrist/forearm and got an ugly lip.

dang, i love grappling days. :D

truewrestler
08-04-2003, 10:49 PM
owwwww, what were you doin when that happened?

One time I forgot to trim my finger nails before jiu-jitsu class and someone sat back on a leglock while I had a hold of their gi. 2 or 3 of my figernails broke near the tips. Could have been much worse ...luckily they weren't ripped off :eek:

rubthebuddha
08-04-2003, 11:20 PM
um. background first:

me = 5'9, 180
john = 6'2 240?

john had me in all sortsa bad positiong on the ground. it was a stalemate -- he couldn't do anything, but i couldn't, but he was in good position, i was s.o.l.

anyhoo, i kept thinking, i'm tied, i'm stuck, i'm ... sweet! i have my legs!

so, with me almost face down and him on top but huggin close so i don't get anywhere, i start snapping my leg (from straight to foot by butt, using hamstrings for power) and started nailing john in all sortsa uncomfy places. he didn't like this all too well, so he adjusted position, and in doing so, my foot withdrew badly and just hit the ground badly.

the worst part is that i was wearing kung fu slippers and socks. had i not, my foot would probably be getting familiar with mr. cast right now.

PHILBERT
08-05-2003, 01:02 AM
I got body slammed once because I failed to deliever enough forward pressure. Knocked the wind outta be and took like 10 minutes to get back into the fight. It wasn't so much that I got the wind knocked outta me, just that when I get hit on my back, it hurts like hell. Well I got dropped on my back and that really took a toll.

truewrestler
08-05-2003, 07:54 AM
... with me almost face down and him on top but huggin.. LOL

rubthebuddha
08-05-2003, 08:06 AM
shaddap. :p

by the way, this can be good things we did as well.

Surferdude
08-05-2003, 08:12 AM
In my old McDojo my dumb instructor was showing a self defense move and popped my shoulder out of my socket....so then i kicked him and passed out ahahahahahaha:D

SevenStar
08-05-2003, 08:13 AM
I was gonna make the but huggin comment. ah well...

SevenStar
08-05-2003, 08:17 AM
looks like this has turned into an injury thread. I got my arm popped last night. (See, RD, told ya judo bjj were brutal :p )

I was demo-ing an armbar escape, but my partner went full speed, whereas I was going slower, to show the technique. He caught my arm and locked it, causing my elbow to make three loud popping noises. by the time I was able to tap, he had heard the popping and let go. My arm is nice and hurt right now.

SevenStar
08-05-2003, 08:37 AM
<american_pie>
one time... at judo camp...
</american_pie>

I was doing randori with someone and attempted tai otoshi. it was perfect, except my leg was right at his knee, instead of right below. he was off balanced, but continued to try and fight it, instead of just taking the fall. the result was torn ligaments in his knee.

truewrestler
08-05-2003, 08:43 AM
In the course of 10 mintues my knee cap popped out of place, when my knee hit the mat hard during a sprawl (i have weak knee caps), and I was heelhooked for the first time. I proudly limped through the weekend... haha

Dragon Warrior
08-05-2003, 09:09 AM
a kid in my bjj class got his toe stuck in between the mats and it ripped off completely. That was pretty nasty. He went to the hospital and got it put back on.

a few months later his toe was back to normal so he started training again. His toe ended up falling off again in the middle of training.

SevenStar
08-05-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Dragon Warrior
a kid in my bjj class got his toe stuck in between the mats and it ripped off completely. That was pretty nasty. He went to the hospital and got it put back on.

a few months later his toe was back to normal so he started training again. His toe ended up falling off again in the middle of training.

a guy in our class got his pinky toe broken that way

rubthebuddha
08-05-2003, 09:57 AM
let this be a lesson to you all:

WEAR YOUR KUNG FU SLIPPERS :mad:

Liokault
08-05-2003, 10:02 AM

I refuse to belive this.

Dragon Warrior
08-05-2003, 11:08 AM
a guy in our class got his pinky toe broken that way

i broke my pinky toe. when it happened i felt a sharp pain go through my foot. i kept on grappling though, when i was done my pinky toe was killing me. The next day it was huge and black and i was limping around for about a week. It took a very very long time to heal.

a few months ago i got caught in a reverse heel hook and my knee popped 3 times. i didnt feel anything, but my classmates told me that it was going to hurt the next day. they were right, i couldnt walk at all, i dont have insurance so i couldnt go to the doctor and get crutches, it took about a day before i could put pressure on my knee. it still hurts sometimes when i am training.

My most recent injury is my left shoulder. I was sparring and through a left hook punch. I was really sore from prior workouts and i think i through the punch wrong. My shoulder felt like it popped out. I didnt think anything of it, it hurt but i could still train. Later on i was grappling and I told my partner not to do any shoulder locks. He forgot and cranked a kimura on my left arm. the next day i couldnt move my arm an inch in any direction. I keep on reinjuring it every week.

fa_jing
08-05-2003, 11:27 AM
I have no idea if this will work for anyone else, but I am able to "crack" each shoulder by standing in a relaxed horse stance with feet apart, bending down and placing the outside of my upper arm against the inside of my upper thigh while keeping the elbow bent moderately, and rotating my upper arm (as if I was holding my arm straight out and turning my thumb down). In other words so that your forearm passes in between your legs while still keeping the upper arm wedged against your thigh. It may help to grab the hand that is reaching through the legs with the other hand, from behind the back. Sorry no pic is available!