PDA

View Full Version : Atkins

taijiquan_student
08-04-2003, 11:23 PM
So what's the deal with the Atkins diet? I know a lot of people swear by it, including my father, but i'm interested to see what you health-and-training-conscious guys have to say about it. I saw on another thread someone posted a :rolleyes: as his opinion on the Atkins folks. So, what's the real deal guys?

Repulsive Monkey
08-05-2003, 04:24 AM
It can be very effective if used on a short term basis, but it still remains a very unhealthy diet to do. In the long term there are obvious indications towards Liver failure/malfunction and stomach/bowell cancer.

IronFist
08-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Go read up on Ketosis. I think the Atkins diet is a ketosis diet, which is where you don't give your body any carbs and therefore you're forced to burn fat (and muscle) for energy.

If you do it, keep your protein high to minimize any muscle losses.

Oh yeah, the people I've seen do keto diets feel like crap because no carbs = bad moods and lethargy. I think your brain also needs a certain number of carbs to function properly.

So, is it effective? Yeah. Is it healthy? I dunno. Is it fun? Not from what I hear.

IronFist

red5angel
08-08-2003, 03:01 PM
Do some research on it. Over the last two months I have done a bit of research on it an dhere is what I have come up with:

It's about 8% more effective then any other fad diet. The drop out rates and failure rates (gaining roughly 80% or more of your original weight back in a year) are roughly equal to low protien diets.

It's extremely unhealthy for your body. Your body uses protiens and carbohydrates in different ways. On top of this you cut out alot of sources of minerals and vitamins and the best way to get these is through eating various types of foods.

The drop out rate is higher because carb cravings are stronger then anything else.

essentially your best bet is to eat right,, a well rounded diet and exercise

Liokault
08-12-2003, 04:44 AM
I also feel that Atkins is unhealty but when talking about this with a friend he has so much information showing that a high meat low carbo diet is healty and that carbs in general are unhealty.

Certain populations in the world who still only eat meat with a small amount of green veg in the warmer months tend to not develope cancer, diabeties, tooth decay or be over weight. They also tend to have a long life for poor people.

The fact that untill we (human beings) started to cultivate grain cancer, diabeties and a whole raft of other ailments were unheard of.

Liokault
08-14-2003, 09:34 AM
So u think we have evolved past the point where the qtkins diet can help us?

vingtsunstudent
08-14-2003, 10:36 AM
the atkins diet allows carbs, just smaller amounts.

and it is far from being a fad diet, as it has been around for years.

as for feeling lethargic, this will only happen if you don't follow it correctly, a guy over at dragon door named steve maxwell is a world bjj champion and has followed a high protien low carb diet for years and i challenge anyone to keep up with some of his workouts, believe me they take energy and if this sort of diet was not effective i'm sure it would have truely fallen by the way side.

just rember do your research well, follow it exactly and you will reap the rewards.

vts

BeiTangLang
08-14-2003, 11:42 AM
I used it to loose 50lbs , but I am transfering over to the sugar-buster diet at this time. I believe this is the best way to go for long term (IMHO).

isol8d
08-18-2003, 08:50 AM
New diet fad:

The South Beach Diet.

It's like the Atkins, but limits the bad fats (Dark meat chicken, etc)

The only "Unhealthy" part of Atkins is the induction phase (Phase 1 on the South Beach diet). After that, you add the carbs back in, just not the processed refined carbs. It makes sense, no junk food, but good old fruits and veggies.

Souljah
08-20-2003, 10:17 AM
haven't a few people died on this diet? (the atkins that is)

IronFist
08-20-2003, 11:30 AM
The South Beach diet is just calorie restriction (the heart of any legit diet) disguised as something else.

IronFist

sakko
08-24-2003, 11:18 PM
I found Atkin's a little hard to do for my liking. I was 265 and fast approaching 270. I cut out soda completely (big plus), eat healthy snacks like fruit, etc, started up on slim fast when I can and am trying to get some exercise in. I've not yet started kung fu, but its going to be my answer to the boring treadmill routine, while I learn something cool and interesting as well :D

I'm down to 242 now and hopefully droppin a lot more soon!