PDA

View Full Version : information on john chang

baldmantiz
08-05-2003, 07:07 AM
does anyone have any information about an eight step preyingmantis sifu in san jose named john chang from taiwan who was the last disiple from grand master wei

BeiTangLang
08-05-2003, 07:16 AM
Yes. Click on "search" in the pale yellow bar above. Type in his name,...& Wal-lah! Quite a bit of info on John Chang.
:-)

Tainan Mantis
08-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Baldmantiz,
I wrote a bit about him on a thread called "Sweeping the Tomb..."

This was when he invited me up to Taipei to join him and his elders in paying respects to GM Wei's tomb.

About a month later a student in CA wrote a nice long thread about him on this board, but I forget the title.

Tainan Mantis
08-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Also,
You're in NY right?
His most, or one of his most talented elders is moving to NY about now.
I have seen him in action and he is outstanding. You may want to meet him.
A very nice man.
I think his English name is Vincent Guo

baldmantiz
08-06-2003, 08:19 AM
thank you for the information. i am assuming that by moving to ny you mean new york city. too bad buffalo is on the other side of the state

bokfu
08-08-2003, 10:34 AM
baldmantiz

John Chang has been my sifu for about 8 years now. He does reside in the San Jose, California area and spends a lot of time in Taiwan getting to see his old friends and former students of Grandmaster Wei and he did recently get to meet Tainan Mantis just a few months ago as they paid respects to the grave of Grandmaster Wei. (my warm greetings to Tainan Mantis)

Just to clarify something here that was posted, Sifu Chang was not the LAST student of Grandmaster Wei. He was one of the last few who Grandmaster Wei considered his true students and close to him (GM Wei stated of five students that they were like sons to him). If I am correct, Sifu Chang had moved here to the United States just before Grandmaster Wei's death in the 80's. The man who continued teaching the remaining students of Grandmaster Wei was Vincent Guo (Kuo-Chin Chen). Master Chen will be moving to New York as mentioned in another posting here.

If you would like any information on John Chang, you can drop me an e-mail to lienchuandao@hotmail.com and I can either answer your query or give you Sifu Chang's personal e-mail address per his permission. I encourage you to maybe write sifu Chang, since he is a very personable, fun, and deep thinker. He is probably the most loyal person to Grandmaster Wei and the ba bu style and is always... ALWAYS working on pushing the envelope in the understanding of Ba Bu Tang Lang. If you would like to read some of his insights, there will be some articles in the new publication of Mantis Quarterly.

Bokfu

MantisifuFW
08-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Greetings,

I would personally like to thank Sifu Chang for his submission to Mantis Quarterly. His attitude and willingness to share Bat Bo Tanglang with the community is the kind of attitude I have found with the best of Tanglang practitioners!

We will all benifit.

Sincerely,

Steve Cottrell

Tainan Mantis
02-02-2004, 06:26 AM
Hi Robert,
The Teacher of Wang Songting I mentioned is written above.
Vincent Guo.

Also, I wrote more on Vincent and others look under the keyword tomb.

RAF
02-02-2004, 10:36 AM
Baldmantiz:

"The man who continued teaching the remaining students of Grandmaster Wei was Vincent Guo (Kuo-Chin Chen). Master Chen will be moving to New York as mentioned in another posting here."
Master Vincent Guo attended, along with Master Su Yu Chang, our Hall of Fame martial arts tournament here in Akron, Ohio and helped Master Su conduct a Pi (Bi) Men seminar during that time. He also demonstrated an extremely powerful xing yi in the Master Demonstration and really impressed the crowd.

I gather he knows quite a bit. Saw his pictures in a Japanese magazine, along with Su, and he was doing bagua.

I also have it on good authority that he is well-versed in baji and it is very powerful.

If you can reach him for classes, I suspect it would be very much worth your time. He also seems to be a real gentleman.