PDA

View Full Version : Can you be both a TMA and a MMA?

Dragon Warrior
08-05-2003, 01:26 PM
I have been studying TMA for a while now and definetely consider myself a traditional martrial artist. I practice Forms, Weapons, Sparring, Self-Defense, and the internal aspects of TCMA.

But i also study BJJ. Studying both Shaolin and BJJ has classified me as a Mixed martial artist.

I dont understand why there is a such a seperation between the two. People on this forum seem to think you cannot be both at the same time.

I get a lot of **** from traditional martial artists because i study BJJ. They seem to think I am no longer a traditional martial artist because of it. When did this become part of the definition of the word "traditional?"

I believe i am both a Mixed martial artist, and a traditional chinese martial artist.

What do you think????????????

Sho
08-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Just say you do Jujutsu. :D

rubthebuddha
08-05-2003, 01:29 PM
i study wing tsun right now. but i also know tkd from when i was a kid. guess i'm mma also. :(

:p

(ignore the fact that i also know a tad of muay thai, a handful of jkd, some escrima basics, and maybe some jujutsu ;))

Dragon Warrior
08-05-2003, 01:32 PM
rubthebudda,

i mean studying the styles at the same time,
and combining there approaches to fighting into your fighting arsenal.

So basically i use my shaolin skills stand up
and my bjj skills on the ground

since shaolin doesnt emphesize groundfighting
and bjj doesnt employ standup

there is no contridiction in combining the styles

but that's a different discussion

Laughing Cow
08-05-2003, 01:35 PM
Most if not ALL TMA started of as MMA.

The difference I see between the MMA of old and the MMA of now is the mindset and emphasis on competition.

For me TMA are not technique orientated, bu more about developing attributes in the MA.

Cheers.

SevenStar
you can be both. MANY MMA guys started in TMA, myself included.

but what's in a name? a martial artist by any other name should be just as capable...provided they train right.

screw titles. just do it.

old jong
Consedering that BJJ was created from Judo maybe 75 years ago,it is very traditional in my opinion.
You could be multi-traditional!...;)

rubthebuddha
08-05-2003, 01:41 PM
holy crap, old jong, you just made things WORSE.

dw -- i study a bit of escrima along with my wt right now. muay thai is more of a side thing. when i have time, i practice it. when i don't, i stick with my core stuff.

count
08-05-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Dragon Warrior
I have been studying TMA for a while now and definetely consider myself a traditional martrial artist. I practice Forms, Weapons, Sparring, Self-Defense, and the internal aspects of TCMA.

But i also study BJJ. Studying both Shaolin and BJJ has classified me as a Mixed martial artist.

I dont understand why there is a such a seperation between the two. People on this forum seem to think you cannot be both at the same time.

I get a lot of **** from traditional martial artists because i study BJJ. They seem to think I am no longer a traditional martial artist because of it. When did this become part of the definition of the word "traditional?"

I believe i am both a Mixed martial artist, and a traditional chinese martial artist.

What do you think????????????
You are more of A Traditional Martial Artist than the ones giving you ****. Sometimes people can be elitist about the things that impassion them. Some are struck with "sifu worship". Some are just sold a bill of goods from someone out to make a buck. They tend to be the most vocal on the forums. But after some time and experience, and getting their head kicked in once or twice, it goes away. In the meantime, try not to hold it against everyone in general. ;)

SevenStar
08-05-2003, 01:51 PM
whoa. simultaneous post by LC, OJ and I

neigung
08-05-2003, 02:17 PM
I guess I'll be losing my TMA status as well. I'm meeting up with a MMA tonite to see if I'd like to train with him. Sort of concerned about keeping my shuai jiao pure.... -shrug-
Anything to say about that SevenStar?

old jong
08-05-2003, 02:26 PM
I live in a country that is going to allow gay mariages so I guess there is nothing wrong in crostraining anymore!...Oh my god!...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SevenStar
08-05-2003, 02:41 PM
"Crosstrain and spar, we raise the bar..."

- Dialated Peoples, "Worst Comes to Worst"

SevenStar
08-05-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by neigung
I guess I'll be losing my TMA status as well. I'm meeting up with a MMA tonite to see if I'd like to train with him. Sort of concerned about keeping my shuai jiao pure.... -shrug-
Anything to say about that SevenStar?

you should be okay - footwork differences, but you should be able to adapt his striking to your footwork. the takedowns he shows you, you will likely have seen the sc equivalents.

CrippledAvenger
08-05-2003, 03:20 PM
+5 points to SevenStar for the most excellent Dialated Peoples referrence. Gotta love good hiphop.