PDA

View Full Version : soreness/pain in hamstrings after legs day

rubthebuddha
08-05-2003, 02:26 PM
got a question:

for my legs, i do side lunges and good mornings with a 30-lb. dumbbell as my core exercises, and add other stuff like pistols or bunches of kicks or whatever, but i always do side lunges and good mornings.

the problem is that, almost without fail, my hamstrings will be painfully sore for the two days or so following a leg workout. they will be tight enough to limit flexibility as well as make even un-stretched moves uncomfortable. i stretch frequently -- before, during and after a leg workout -- and i'm a very flexible person to begin with.

any thoughts on this post-workout badness?

Ford Prefect
08-06-2003, 04:49 AM
Increase your GPP. Get a band like they have at jumpstretch.com and do 100 good mornings with it the night following and the day after a leg workout. This is light work and will pump blood into the area which will greatly aid in recovery. I dunno though, since most bands have a tension more than 30 lbs, you may need to increase your strength first.

rubthebuddha
08-06-2003, 08:46 AM
ford -- sounds like a plan.

one question -- what's gpp? i get the idea, but the acronym escapes me.

Ford Prefect
08-06-2003, 10:24 AM
General Physical Preparedness

rubthebuddha
08-06-2003, 11:55 AM

fa_jing
08-06-2003, 12:16 PM
My hammies are getting sore alot because I am now targetting them, whereas before I did leg work that did not emphasize these. Be careful not to tweak them because you'll be out for a week. Also please breathe into your abdomen, while tightening your abs to create Intra-abdominal pressure to stabilize your core.

A great exercise I just learned is the one-legged deadlift.

IronFist
08-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Hell yeah dude, my hamstrings get sore after I squat. But, I assume that's because I go all the way down.

It just means you're a badass. That's all :p

Actually, since Ford answered your question, I'm just post whoring now! :D

IronFist

rubthebuddha
08-06-2003, 10:01 PM
how else you gonna get a post count like serpent without whoring a little bit?

and i hardly think a 30-lb. dumbbell behind the neck on a good morning is hardcore. ;)

Serpent
08-06-2003, 10:31 PM
Hey, who are you calling a *****?! (I notice my post count just cleared 5,500! Heh heh heh.)

However, I am posting here for a reason, not just because RTB is a *****.

What's a Good Morning? To me that means breakfast in bed followed by a blow job.

rubthebuddha
08-07-2003, 12:22 AM
****it. it seems you only pop up when i pick on you. :o

anyhoo, here's a description of a goodmorning. (http://www.betterbodz.com/hamstrings/good_mornings.html)

i'll know tomorrow if ford's advice worked, because tonight was legs night.

and admittedly, i have been a bit of a ***** to serpie lately. :D

Serpent
08-07-2003, 07:08 AM
Dayum - no wonder people panic about your back with those exercises. You'd need to observe some seriously correct form to avoid injury there. But, like any contraindicated exercise, there's usually a good reason for doing it. Do it well and I can see those being hardcore on the hammies and lower back. Still, I have to wonder if it's worth the risk.

And RTB, ya know I love you. I know you love me too.

Come on - give us a kiss, ya big dummy.

rubthebuddha
08-07-2003, 09:13 AM
<smooch>

there, all better. but that's all you're getting on the first date, and i don't care if you bought lobster.

anyhoo, they're not that hard to exercise good form on, but because of the risks of not exercising good form, i like to put them near the beginning of a workout, particularly before anything high-rep tires your back out. it's just too easy to lose focus when you're tired, and this isn't an exercise on which to lose focus.

i think what's worked out best for me in keeping good form is keeping my back in the same position as a jackknife/utthita urdhva paschimottanasana (http://www.yogabasics.com/asana/postures/jacknife.html) -- stretch your hips out behind you and the crown of your noggin forward, and keep your abs rock-solid the whole time.

Shaolin-Do
08-07-2003, 09:26 AM
Good hammie stretch - Go down on one knee, other leg goes out in front, basically try for a front splits, but leave the lead knee slightly bent. Gives a nice pull on the hammies.
And yes, the light workout should do wonders for the pain, a massage would be nice as well.

Edit : drinking more water may help a little too. (unless you already drink plenty)

rubthebuddha
08-07-2003, 10:36 AM
me does plenty of stretching, and i drink around 80 ounces of water per day. i think it's just me building up not just the strength to do the motion, but also getting used to it so i do it, get the burn and move on with no problem.

fa_jing
08-07-2003, 06:14 PM
Hey one of my favorites is a gong that has you in a position similar to that jack knife thingie - only with legs spread 1.5 shoulders width apart. The hands were thrust forward and lifted. good one for after horse practice

Serpent
08-07-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
<smooch>

there, all better. but that's all you're getting on the first date, and i don't care if you bought lobster.

Damit. SevenStar told me you put out.

rubthebuddha
08-07-2003, 11:45 PM
not like the rohypnol left me with much of a choice, thank you very much. :mad:

Shaolin-Do
08-13-2003, 08:39 AM
Bah.
Ive gotten the wrong drink at parties a couple times, just makes me feel like I got a nice dose of LSD and sleeping pills in my beer.
:)

But then again my extensive training in my high school days let me deal with it in a... err... lesser passing out type manner.
:)
Has happened 2 times in the past year...

Edit: "training" in high school...
:D