PDA

View Full Version : Taiji Legacy

norther practitioner
06-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Is coming up, I think we'll be bringing a small team down, most likely just forms this time as we have mostly beginners. Anyone else planning on competing? (I know Shaolin-Do is thinking that he will if his arm doesn't come off.....)

Gene, are you guys covering this event this year?

MasterKiller
06-12-2003, 06:25 AM
I'll be there with 2 other classmates. I'll be doing traditional forms and long weapons. The other two will be competing in mainly Wushu events.

Judge Pen
06-12-2003, 06:42 AM
Where is it? Probably too far away for me to attend. :(

MasterKiller
06-12-2003, 06:45 AM
Arlington, TX (Dallas).

More Info (http://www.chinwoo.com/2003tcl/index.htm)

Judge Pen
06-12-2003, 06:50 AM
Thanks. Never been to Texas.

MAC
06-12-2003, 07:32 AM
I'm considering it. I have a conflict in schedule at the moment, but that may work itself out. I see where they do cover my style within the southern short fist catagory so I'd particulalrly like to see others from this style.
Have any of you been before ? Is there pretty good base of representation from differing styles? Does it tend to be more traditional or more (modern) wu shu in nature?

Brad
06-12-2003, 07:40 AM
When I was there, there was one modern wushu ring(not including Taijiquan & San Shou), and the rest was traditional.

MasterKiller
06-12-2003, 07:41 AM
Last year there were a shlt load of people there (maybe 1,500). I only competed in traditional Northern forms and Open Long weapons, and I had between 10 and 15 people in each one of my divisions.

There is a good mix of traditional styles, but there were quite a lot of wushu players there, too. While there was only 1 main Wushu ring for open-hand forms, they competed in a lot of the open weapon categories.

There were people from China, South Africa, and England there. I'm sure other nations were represented, but those were the only one's I noticed off-hand.

This years tournament will be smaller because they aren't holding the Chin Woo Championships at the same time, but it should still have a good turn out.

GeneChing
06-12-2003, 09:06 AM
...but not me personally unfortunately. I have a schedule conflict. But my boss, Gigi Oh, our publisher will be there. She usually doesn't come out for events anymore, so it gives Jimmy Wong a lot of face.

PHILBERT
06-12-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by GeneChing
...but not me personally unfortunately. I have a schedule conflict. But my boss, Gigi Oh, our publisher will be there. She usually doesn't come out for events anymore, so it gives Jimmy Wong a lot of face.

I live in Arlington, Texas. Will Margie be coming too? :D maybe I can attend then. :cool:

Rather funny though, it is in the VERY city I was born and raised in, but chances are I won't be able to attend. :mad: :(

MAC
06-12-2003, 11:52 AM
Sounds like good representation from the region and even some global attendance. I should probably bite my tongue, but.... though I think (modern) wu shu is very athletic, entertaining and somewhat of a form of "eye candy" it's just not my thing. If it was heavily wu shu I'd definitely pass. I'm pleased to see that, from your responses, it seems to be mostly a traditional style event so I'm much more inclined to gear my schedule toward that.

norther practitioner
06-12-2003, 12:00 PM
I went out to Nationals a few years ago... the wushu was fun to watch but there were a lot of them, and they had like over half the rings. I heard Taiji Legacy is more traditional, but still a lot of wushu guys running around, there will be a good representation of traditional from what I hear. I'll hopefully be competing in the northern traditional, I don't know if I'll do open or the other one.... we'll see. I also want to do a short weapon and long weapon, I don't know how my short staff form will stack up, but the straight sword form that I have is nice.

OdderMensch
06-12-2003, 12:03 PM
Hey, I live in the area and will definatly attend. Anyone want to meet up for lunch or dinner or somehing, have a KFO get together?

Or we could all deathmatch :D

MasterKiller
06-12-2003, 12:04 PM
I'm not much for the wushu, either.

I should be in Northern Traditional forms and Open Long weapons with a monk spade (I won this category last year). I also thought about doing a sword form, but my broadsword form is shaky, and my straight sword isn't very fluid, so I dunno.

I'm decent with a 3-section, but one of the guys I'm coming with has placed 1st or 2nd the last 3 years in flexible weapons (chain), and I know I can't beat him.

OdderMensch--Deathmatch, for sure. Especially if Shaolin-Do makes the trip.:D

norther practitioner
06-12-2003, 12:11 PM
OdderMensch--Deathmatch, for sure. Especially if Shaolin-Do makes the trip.

Count me in :D

word on the monk spade..... It was my fav. weapon to mess around with at my first school..... (it didn't hurt as bad as the flexible weapons :D )

It'll be cool to see you all compete....

OH, and about the deathmatch, lets talk about it a lot, I mean constantly.... tell everyone that we'll tape it and post it along with some narratives..... then when someone asks about it we'll be d1cks to them and tell them it is none of there business.

OdderMensch
06-12-2003, 12:23 PM
OK, hey, can I pretend you've been me the whole ime, just building up a presona to fight later? :D

Seriously, anyone planning to spar competatively?

Losttrak
06-12-2003, 12:36 PM
Ill be there. Bringing some newbs to fight. Woot!

MAC
06-12-2003, 12:43 PM
Whoa ! A death match is no joking matter. That's a very serious thing and you guys should not speak of it in the ways that you are....

...maybe it should just be a "hurt you a bunch" match. I mean, I could let you get away with one of your eyes, and one of each of your limbs. Even let you keep an ear. Only make you pee blood for a month or so. Hey ! That's better'n bein' dead aint it ??? That's purty serious, I think.

: )

PHILBERT
06-12-2003, 12:53 PM
MasterKiller has a good idea. If I do attend, not sure yet, but if I do attend (won't compete), I'll consider wearing a tag that says PHILBERT on it.

MasterKiller
06-12-2003, 01:04 PM
Hey Gene,

If GIGI is gonna be there, she should pick up the tab on our KFO pre-Deathmatch reunion dinner. It would be KFO's way of giving back to all the people that make this board such a great asset to your business.

norther practitioner
06-12-2003, 01:04 PM
You guys will find me pretty easy, because all the chicks will be flocking to me.

cough bul1**** cough....lol

can I just write NP.... I think I'll get some weird looks

MasterKiller
06-12-2003, 01:05 PM
can I just write NP.... I think I'll get some weird looks

I was thinking the same thing about walking around with MasterKiller taped to my chest.

Maybe we should all just put KFO so as not to give away our secret identities to the masses. Plus, we can play who's who.

Losttrak
06-12-2003, 01:10 PM
Are none of you competing at all?

MasterKiller
06-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Everybody but Philbert is competing in something, so far.

Losttrak
06-12-2003, 01:19 PM
Forms and fighting? I have seen Mr Cottrells class practice twice and would like to see you guys in action.

MasterKiller
06-12-2003, 01:31 PM
Who is Mr. Cottrell?

PHILBERT
06-12-2003, 02:08 PM
Sifu Steve Cotrell, Mantis and Wing Chun guy in Fort Worth.

http://www.authentickungfu.com/

norther practitioner
06-12-2003, 02:37 PM
Just forms for me this go around.....:)

I enjoy sparring in class, but I need to be careful of my knee still (actually both have been flaring up). I'd hate to have to flip out and chop off some heads if someone kicked it and redamaged anything....:D

GeneChing
06-13-2003, 10:06 AM
You know, every time I go out to events, I announce it here, and all these forum members say we're going to hook up, but then they never say 'hi' (much less buy me a beer.) Now I'm going to miss the Legacy and you guys are all going to hook up? :rolleyes:

As for Margie, she knows she can always crash in my hotel room (that goes for all got qi girls) but I doubt Jimmy Wong would spring for her flight. Of course, got qi girls can pretty much crash at any guys hotel room, if they so choose, so I don't think that's a limiting factor.

OdderMensch
06-13-2003, 08:00 PM
Hey, is it our fault we never see you? You're always hideing somewhere, sneaking pretzels!

:D

Uh-huh forgot about that one didn't you?

PHILBERT
06-13-2003, 09:02 PM
She can crash at my house if she needs a place to stay. I'll sleep on the floor. :D

Starchaser107
06-13-2003, 09:28 PM
Sounds like its going to be a whole lot of fun. Somebody take pictures.

Shadowboxer
06-14-2003, 03:11 PM
I'll be there. I'm hoping to compete in chi sao and sparring. I was in a car accident several days ago, so the doctor told me to chill for a week or 2. But, I'm hoping to be ready for the comp to get some more experience. I'll be the guy with the camera ;)

MAC
07-02-2003, 06:52 AM
Is this one of those events that charge extra to bring in cameras and video recorders ?

Losttrak
07-02-2003, 07:38 AM
I should have a camera and vid cam thre. Possibly even 2 of each for diff angles. Prolly have to pay.. but oh well.

GeneChing
07-02-2003, 09:53 AM
That's not true! I prefer nuts over pretzels with my beer.

Actually, I'm usually pretty easy to find - just look for the guy in the got qi shirt with all the camera gear.

Shaolin-Do
07-02-2003, 10:05 AM
Sad to say, I wont be competing this year. I am however, going to be up there watching. I will probably bring my sparring gear as well, so some of us can beat each other up in a park or the like. I only live like 4 hours away, so I guess Ill take the weekend to go up there. Some fine @ss wimmins up in Ft. Wth area.... Shoulder still lacks the mobility to actually place in a forms comp. I will go fight with some of you, show you some of my forms outside comp as well.
Anyhow, I gotta go to work.
BBl

dezhen2001
07-02-2003, 11:26 AM
hope u guys have a good time... meeting KFO people can be fun - if they arent too weird :D

dawood

Losttrak
07-02-2003, 11:44 AM
I will also be the "weird KFO poster" correspondant. Full video documentation will be made for all KFO weirdness and bizarre challenge matches that may occur.

dezhen2001
07-02-2003, 12:04 PM
great... i have met 7 KFO people so far and we had a cool time:cool:

dawood

norther practitioner
07-22-2003, 08:46 AM
Just wanted to say I've booked flights for my teacher and I. So, we'll have to figure out the who, what, when, where, etc...

Losttrak
07-22-2003, 09:44 AM
If you want to find me and my group... just look for these shirts:

http://customink.com/cink/r.jsp?E=jcarlson%40algx-support.net&F=final2

Shaolin-Do
07-22-2003, 09:48 AM
What day is it on again?
I dont have money to enter... Am well enough to compete now too... :(
Oh well. Ill come watch anyways... bring a sexy wimmins or 3 with me as well....

ewallace
07-22-2003, 09:52 AM
Actually meeting people from KFO just screws up your image of them.

For instance, I'd be very disappointed if Chang Style Novice didn't resemble Weird Al Yankovic, or Stacey didn't have lazy eye.

MasterKiller
07-22-2003, 10:12 AM
What day is it on again? August 2 and 3, shoulder boy. That's next weekend, so you need to remember to set your TiVo to record The Bachelor reruns while you are gone. I know how much you hate to miss it. ;)

norther practitioner
07-22-2003, 10:20 AM
I'll be in a silver northern outfit (with mantis things going down the arms...)

Shaolin-Do
07-22-2003, 10:22 AM
f u c k d a m n a s s c r a p b i t c h........
Argh.... Am driving my best friend to colorado that weekend...
SH!T!!!!
:(
Maybe Ill intentionally leave saturday... Make a stop in Ft. Worth on the way up... :)

norther practitioner
07-22-2003, 10:26 AM
Freak, come up here when I'm gone...
Where abouts in Colorado?

Shaolin-Do
07-22-2003, 10:30 AM
Ergh... Not exactly sure... One of the small towns around denver area...
Gonna stay till monday or tuesday... Try and pick up some snow bunnies. :)
His mom said theres quite a few asian wimmins... mmmmm......

MasterKiller
07-22-2003, 10:40 AM
And we all know that Asian wimmins love men that smoke pot all day and constantly wine about their shoulder. You should be the bell of the ball.

Shaolin-Do
07-22-2003, 10:47 AM
Havent said anything about my shoulder in a while, as a matter of fact, you are whining about it for me.

As for wimmins in general that like dudes who smoke a lot of pot... Those are my kinda wimmins. :) And as far as college chicks, most dont care seeing as that I have had a steady job for 2 years, as a sales rep for an international brokerage.... :)

norther practitioner
07-22-2003, 11:15 AM
most dont care seeing as that I have had a steady job for 2 years, as a sales rep for an international brokerage....

of beef and pork...lol:p

Well let me know.... We'll play a game of pool or something.

One of the small towns around denver area...

Urban Sprawl... they're all small towns around Denver...
Lets see:
Thornton, Glendale, Littleton, Westminster, Broomfield, Arvada, Lakewood, Golden, Aurora, Parker, Wheatridge, etc. etc. etc....

Shaolin-Do
07-22-2003, 12:53 PM
"of beef and pork" and chorizo and cheese and dollar store items and chicken and turkey and duck... ect.... :)

Sounds like a plan, I know he is going to start taking kung fu at the pai lum white dragon society....

http://www.pailum.org/

Anyone know about this guy? My friend wanted me to find out if he is legit....

norther practitioner
07-22-2003, 01:16 PM
Becca studies at the Pai Lum school near my house....
I study at a long fist school down near Wash Park
There is a SD school on 38th
A bunch of tai chi schools
A few random sifus that I haven't seen or heard about in a while.

Shaolin-Do
07-22-2003, 05:57 PM
Bad azz...
Ill be up there... in about 2 weeks...

Play some pool or drink beer or something... Im bringing a giant bottle of grey goose... :)

norther practitioner
07-22-2003, 06:18 PM
PM me when it gets closer... I fly back in that sunday

Shaolin-Do
07-22-2003, 06:21 PM
Tight... well, im bout to be off.
This Crazymaddrunk... from "NY"... I have that inkling feeling that is someone from my kwoon... dunno why, but i do... and that god d@mn well better not be the case.

norther practitioner
07-22-2003, 06:28 PM
I just think it is kind of sad.....

Shaolin-Do
07-22-2003, 07:30 PM
Nevermind... Its a child whose parents just bought a computer or some sh!t....

norther practitioner
07-22-2003, 07:45 PM
I don't go about it the same way as you, I think he acts like what you say... thats for sure... oh and gray goose... you trying to butter me up for something? Thats my fav.

Shaolin-Do
07-22-2003, 07:48 PM
Nah.. Just been buying it a lot lately... Drank a grandaddy bottle of it saturday... mmmm.... Excellent vodka...
I love crown and coke or crown and sprite as well... 2 ice cubes, half crown, half filler. :)

norther practitioner
07-22-2003, 07:52 PM
We've got a half bottle of whatever there orange flav. is...
My others are bourbon and cokes...

Speaking of which, who's meeting when done here at the Taiji Legacy...

Shaolin-Do
07-22-2003, 09:23 PM
NP, whats the minimum wage in CO?

norther practitioner
07-22-2003, 09:27 PM
No idea, you can prob. find it out at www.state.co.us
prob whatever the fed. min. is.....

Shaolin-Do
08-05-2003, 02:52 PM
How was it?
How did you do?
So sad I couldnt make it.