PDA

View Full Version : what are good ways to train outside of the dojo

The CBC
01-28-2001, 09:06 AM
I train really hard in the dojo but when I try to train on my own at home I get lost in what to do Should I practice my forms or should I just punch and kick the air also what are some good ways to build your body just asking because myself with too many other martial artist do not workout thanks ;)

Martial Joe
01-28-2001, 10:13 PM
Hey, I have been in Wing Chun for alil wile and i do the forms more then anything,but I do punch the air and stuff,but I have been working on my footwork lately because my sifu said the forms and the footwork are so so important....I posted a question yesterday on a simular question about asking poeple how much they train and what they do because I wanted to know if im training enough...go chek it out...its in the Wing Chun section...thats all I can say.

Joe :cool:

The CBC
01-29-2001, 06:44 AM
Thanks ;)

Kyo Sa Nim Moore
01-29-2001, 06:59 AM
Quincy, I was in the same situation as you (except for Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan - a Korean martial art similar, but more traditional than Tae Kwon Do), but when I entered college I was adamant that I would form some sort of schedule to maintain my martial arts abilities.

Here is the regime I follow today:

M, T, W, Th, F, Sat - Weight-lifting (vary each day - one day shoulders, one day arms, one day chest, everyday abs - repeat)

M, W, Sat., Sun. - Martial Arts Training (2-4pm and 9-11 pm)

M, T, W, Th, F, Sat., Sun. - Stretching

T, Th., Sun. - running (3-5 miles) or swimming (2000 - 3000 yards)

I found that this regime, combining with eating healthy will get you in the best shape possible. However, it is time consuming for a non-college student - but an abbreviated schedule may work well too.

Godzilla
02-01-2001, 12:52 AM
Hi:
I have been struggling for a while to fit a workout into my schedule besides going to class. This is what has been working for me.

Morning: Pushups, curls and sit ups in the morning for about 30 to 45 minutes before the wife and kids wake up. One or two glasses of water. Sometimes a few kicks but not too many, just to loosen up.

Night: Forms from white thru black. Around 11:30/Midnight after the wife is in bed (kids asleep for a while, now). Mini-trampoline for about 5 or 10 minutes.

I do this about 3 times a week, no set days. If I think I can fit it in, I just do it. It’s hard but I always tell myself I will have an edge over the next guy if I continue to train outside of class.

Truly,
Godzilla

The CBC
02-01-2001, 02:54 AM
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES MY MAIN PROBLOM IS SCHOOL NOT THAT SCHOOL IS BAD BUT WHEN I WAKE UP I HAVE TO START GETING READY THEN WHEN I COME HOME HOMEWORK,HOMEWORK,AND YES A TON MORE OF HOMEWORK THEN MY DAILY M.A. CLASS SO BY THE TIME I GET HOME I AM DROP DEAD TIRED I HAVE ALSO TRIED TO WORK OUT AT SCHOOL BUT THE TEACHERS DID NOT REALLY LIKE MY REGIMENT

HuangKaiVun
02-01-2001, 10:56 PM
Quincy, it's more important that when you train, train WELL.

That means you should be looking for every opportunity to train your kung fu - and I don't mean doing your forms as the girls watch and LAUGH.

When seated in your chair, practice your breathing and posture. When walking, practice your grace and balance.

When doing ____, practice _____.

rogue
02-02-2001, 05:50 AM
My advice on training outside the dojo is to wear a sweater. It gets chilly at night.

LEGEND
02-04-2001, 09:09 PM
I try to weight lift as much as possible...working on COMPOUND movements only...if you don't have a gym...do body weight exercises...pushups, chin ups, dips, squats, abs and shadow boxing/forms/mirror...cooldown can be jump rope or jumping jacks! The idea is to keep your body in shape. WORKING 40 hours or more a week is hard...Training class are for learning new techs...and seeing if it works...conditioning is a must to survive!

A

Budokan
02-06-2001, 08:35 AM
You've gotten some excellent advice on how to work muscle groups--except for your strongest one, your mind.

Whenever you have some down time simply run over techniques and moves and forms (if you practice them) in your mind. Keep it working and focused on MA. As your head hits the pillow at night go over some "scenarios" about how you might react/fight in certain situations.

This isn't daydreaming or wasting time. This apsect of training is as important (one could argue even more important) than cardiovascular and musculature weight training. It's realitively easy to get your body in shape--but if your mind is sloppy then your techniques will also be sloppy. --And then someday your life may be at risk.

K. Mark Hoover

LEGEND
02-06-2001, 06:34 PM
BUDOKAN...good point dude...Watch tapes of whatever your style is...I train in BJJ/Submission Wrestling stuff...so I watch and review instruction tapes and fight tapes...just for scouting out...and seeing technical moves...

A

The CBC
02-08-2001, 04:04 AM
Thanks for replying to my post I do go over what would happen in fight when I am just thinking also I think someone did not understand what I ment when I said I train at school I do it were I am pretty much isolated but some times people see me streching and your right sometimes they stare at me and then burst into tears laughing but I do this because when I am confronted by someone who wants to fight me I become to embarassed when thinking if I lose using martial arts stuff I gonna be marked as the karate kid who got his a** beat thats why I usually walk away so by training at school I have started to lose that embarassing feeling of using what I have learned so all in all its not that bad