PDA

View Full Version : Attn Rtb

Shaolin-Do
08-06-2003, 01:13 PM
You practice wing tsun, kali, and muay thai right?

Hows that goin for you?
I just found a school in town that teaches all 3 as 1 curriculum...

rubthebuddha
08-06-2003, 01:20 PM
wing tsun is my core art. many wing tsun schools in the world offer escrima as a weapons compliment, because wing tsun doesn't teach weapons (and it teaches only two) until much later in the training. concepts between wt and escrima are very similar and they mesh well. however, while my wt training has been going on solidly for more than for years, my escrima work has been limited to very rudimentary stuff. i begin more in-depth work in it in a month or so.

no kali, but i've been hankerin to try. ;)

and i used to practice muay thai frequently, at my same school as well. however, the weight of my focus has shifted almost entirely to the self defense side and i really only do muay thai when i'm jonesin for a good workout.

and my training is going great for me, thank you. :)

have you a link for the school you mentioned?

Shaolin-Do
08-06-2003, 01:23 PM
http://www.omeishan.com

What I really want to learn more than anything, to compliment my kung fu, is TCM. They teach qigong there, and massage too i believe, but I want the full spectrum. :)
Ill probably look into their kali course as well, just cause of knife fighting, and disarms :)

rubthebuddha
08-06-2003, 02:10 PM
coolio. i'm not sure how well kali and wing chun would work together. i know latosa escrima does, but as is the case in just about every art. there's interpretation differences between each sifu, and as is illustrated very well with wing chun, thar can be rather substantial differences within a single sifu's group of students, depending on when they learned. yip man's fatshan students learned a rather different wing chun than his hong kong students did.

regardless, me wanna learn some kali. but bsl currently tops my list of other martial goodness to learn.

PHILBERT
08-06-2003, 04:08 PM
I use to take WT too. If the school is that close, check them out, you might like them and even join. Some WT schools have a strong street combat atmosphere.

I'd try kali too, but if I learn another art, Id probably want an internal art instead.

rubthebuddha
08-06-2003, 04:23 PM
is no longer wt. apparently the instructor left the iwta in 1989 after getting his 3rd TG. i'd wager that there's going to be a bit of deviance from the original teachings after 14 years of separation. good thing? bad thing? i gots no idear.

Shaolin-Do
08-07-2003, 12:01 AM
Nah, I was just more or less interested in learning some traditional chinese medicine, or at least the tui na or whatever massage... :(
Accupressure and accupuncture would be great too...

SevenStar
08-07-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by PHILBERT
I use to take WT too. If the school is that close, check them out, you might like them and even join. Some WT schools have a strong street combat atmosphere.

I'd try kali too, but if I learn another art, Id probably want an internal art instead.

used to? what are you training in now?

PHILBERT
08-07-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar

used to? what are you training in now?

Wing Chun.

:D

Ok, here's the deal. I had somewhat of a falling out with my last instructor based off dues, him teaching, etc. For like one month he didn't show up for classes except one. He told me on more than 1 occasion he'd be there, he didn't show up nor did anyone else who would teach me something. So basically, I was left by myself or I'd have to show those who showed up (no one else did, ironic enough?) some stuff. Finally I got ****ed off one night and said "Screw this" and left, told him I quit because of school, blah blah blah and went to check out a Wing Chun school in my area. I didn't want to take up a new style of Kung Fu (I knew of some Hung Gar, Mantis and Baguazhang in my area too) and so I went to the Wing Chun school and joined there. Pretty much the same, with some new stuff tossed into the mix.

In fact, I train at the same school as BeiTaiLang and Sandman.