PDA

View Full Version : caught one of those real old wf hung flicks

jun_erh
08-06-2003, 02:40 PM
I saw this at the Museum of Fine Arts here in Boston. It's from about 1949. Fo some reason I can't find a link describing it. It was pretty good, no subtitles though. There was some authentic looking hung gar here and there, particularly in the random demonstations rather than the actual fights. Some hung gar staff too. I'll try and find more, but it's part of a tour of the history of kung fu cinema so check for it in your town. It's got some cool stuff like "36 chambers" etc

jun_erh
08-06-2003, 02:45 PM
The Story of Wong Fei Hung, Part 1
Wu Pang, Hong Kong, 1949; 72m
Print courtesy of the Hong Kong Film Archive
In 1949 filmmaker Wu Pang, seeking to revive the moribund Cantonese cinema in Hong Kong, hit upon the idea of making a film about the legendary patriot Wong Fei-hung. He and screenwriter Ng Yat-siu sought out one of Wong’s surviving disciples. In the title role, they cast Kwan Tak-hing, an actor trained in Cantonese Opera. Although replete with trap doors, sliding walls, and venomous snakes, The Story of Wong Fei Hung, Part 1 is close to actual Southern martial arts styles, marking the arrival of realistic combat onscreen, with Kwan Tak-hing as the kung fu forerunner of Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. – David Pendleton, UCLA Archives

It came with a handout listing all the cast, some I think I rcognized

jmd161
08-06-2003, 04:19 PM
There was some authentic looking hung gar here and there, particularly in the random demonstations rather than the actual fights. Some hung gar staff too.

screenwriter Ng Yat-siu sought out one of Wong’s surviving disciples. In the title role, they cast Kwan Tak-hing, an actor trained in Cantonese Opera.

Kwan Tak Hing played Wong Fei Hung in over 140 movies.The only thing is he was a White Crane Master.Many ppl assumed he knew Hung Gar and had become a master of the style.But he grew up learning and mastering Northern White Crane kung fu.

jeff:)

PHILBERT
08-06-2003, 07:16 PM
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0200723

There's the movie on the IMDB. Doesn't have anything great though.

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Kwan,+Tak-Hing

And the actor who played him.

jun_erh
08-07-2003, 02:54 PM
the demonstrations were done by others not him generally.

buddhapalm
08-12-2003, 10:28 AM
Does anyone know where I could watch the old collection of Wong Fei Hung movies. Any old footage from 1950's etc. I would love to see Shek Kin play his stuff.

Cheers

Buddhapalm

teleka@pacbell.net

WanderingMonk
08-15-2003, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by jmd161

Kwan Tak Hing played Wong Fei Hung in over 140 movies.The only thing is he was a White Crane Master.Many ppl assumed he knew Hung Gar and had become a master of the style.But he grew up learning and mastering Northern White Crane kung fu.

Hey Jeff,

What is a northern white crane?

There's fujian crane (but that's south).
Their's tibetan crane (would that be north?)
or hop gar (tibetan crane passed down to Guangdong region). As far as I know Kwan Tak Hing did Hop gar.

wm

jmd161
08-15-2003, 06:42 AM
Actually i made a mistake putting Northern.I meant to put just White Crane.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm not sure if it was fujian crane or tibetan crane.I know that he learned it in Hong Kong.So it could be either.