PDA

View Full Version : Wrist/Ankle weights

Diamond Dragon
08-06-2003, 06:08 PM
I'm thinking of buying wrist and ankle weights and I want to use them while training with the heavy bag. Does this improve the effectiveness of the training? If so, in what way? I just want to hear the ups and downs of it so that I can make a good descision.

Laughing Cow
08-06-2003, 06:14 PM
Wrist and ankle weights can be good for certain training.
IMO, they can also do a lot of "damage".

Example:
You punch, by adding weights to the wrist you now add a downward force that you will need to overcome as well as performing the punch.

Just my thoughts.

shaolin kungfu
08-06-2003, 06:59 PM
I've heard that wrist and ankle weights can hurt the joints. Don't know if thts true or not, but might be something to watch for.

Laughing Cow
08-06-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by shaolin kungfu
I've heard that wrist and ankle weights can hurt the joints. Don't know if thts true or not, but might be something to watch for.

Agreed, too many people at too much weight too soon.
Because they think the more it burns the more they are getting the benefit.
;)

Adding weights to MA techniques is a good idea as long as it won't interfere with the actual force generation.

Best done under supervision of your Sifu or Sensei.

There are many things in MA styles that will help you generate more power to your techniques.

IronFist
08-06-2003, 08:14 PM
If you insist on punching with weights, don't snap your elbows. Also, make sure the weight is TIGHT so that it doesn't slide forward at the end of your punch and smack the back of your hand. While this can be ok with iron rings, it hurts with vinyl weights with seams.

Oh yeah, the downsides to punching and kicking with weights. It greatly increases the stress put on your elbows and knees. Your hand will gain momentum (like the ball on the end of a ball-and-chain) and when the punch comes to an end, your elbow will have to deal with all that added stress and momentum. Be careful. Most people advise against it, and I wouldn't recommend it.

IronFist

1renox
08-07-2003, 07:56 AM
L.C is right on with his advice in both his posts.

One suggestion, though, is to lay on a bench and punch skyward. This strenghtens triceps and can be done for both endurance and speed. Once again, the forward intertia of the punch can have negative repurcusions.

Here's kind of a funny story about ankle weights. I found a set of very good 10lb'ers at a damaged goods store (5lbs being the usual set) . Only the box was missing. Guy at check outstand said, "don't run with these on, or they will stretch out your ligaments and you won't be able to walk--ever." He was serious.

Shaolin-Do
08-07-2003, 09:37 AM
I have weights for ankles, But I usually either do my kicks excessively slow with them, jump rope, and when I do work high speed, I never snap my techniques. My speed and power have increased significantly. I DEFINATELY wouldnt reccoment trying to hit anything with weights on. Too much stress on joints ligaments and bones. When you start to get a little tired or feeling stretchy, take them off. Just remember to not over do it and you should be fine, and dont try to balls out on weight. Start small, 5 lbs or so. Work your way up, get the adjustable 10 lbers next, and take out some weight to make them 8, so on and so forth. Regardless of wheather or not you are strong enough to kick with 20 lbs, start with 5 or so to get your ligaments used to the added weight at the end of the attack.

Ground Dragon
08-07-2003, 11:26 AM
Instead of wrist or ankle weights, I would recommend a weight vest. More expensive but plenty of benefits and not nearly the risk to the joints.

Shaolin-Do
08-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Weightvest... Absolutely wonderful for training. :D
Works out different muscles however, but from those elastic chords you can get a lot of the same excercises ... (sp? we're out of coffee and my brains beginning to faulter....) Without the strain to your ligaments.
Edit: weightvests tend to be a bit pricey as well.

IronFist
08-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
I have weights for ankles, But I usually either do my kicks excessively slow with them

Oh yeah, I forgot. That's a safe way to train, too. No snapping with weights = safe :D

IronFist

Diamond Dragon
08-08-2003, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I will definetly use your advice.