PDA

View Full Version : What causes a fight?

Laughing Cow
08-06-2003, 06:11 PM
The recent discussion about Alex Gong and his shooting has brought one thing back to my mind.

Often I see 2 guys get into an argument or scrap and afterwards one will insist that the other guy was the antagonist, but to me it was him that was the ture antagonist.

Example:
Guy A spills a beer, Guy B gets into his face and start insulting Guy A and pushing him around.
Guy A gets of course irate but is NOT really interested in a confrontation, he will try to calm the situation.
Guy B doesn't see it as such and continues to push Guy A.
End result Guy A fights Guy B or vice-versa.

This is a pattern I have often observed may it be in a pub, Tui-shou, office meeting or similar.
It looks like some people don't seem to able to quit once they got into "fight mode".

What's your opinion?

Cheers.

Marky
08-06-2003, 06:52 PM
Agreed. All parties involved in a conflict must be willing to negotiate in order for it not to escalate to a physical confrontation. More often than not, people are so self-centered that they refuse to negotiate. This is, regretably, the cause of most of humanity's problems.

rogue
08-06-2003, 06:58 PM
There's an art to starting a fight and you've gotten to see it.

themeecer
08-06-2003, 07:01 PM
I once killed a man for snoring too loudly. :D

If you don't remember the comercial for Time/Life books based on the old west that will mean nothing to you.

rogue
08-06-2003, 07:04 PM
Big deal, I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die. :p

themeecer
08-06-2003, 07:19 PM
Yeah but I'm no lady ... I'm Belle Star.

Ummmm ... scratch that.

Surferdude
08-07-2003, 08:00 AM
They start on different Ideals... point of view what ever, and because some people are stupid:D

red5angel
08-07-2003, 08:10 AM
I have worked at the local renaissance festival for the last 7 years doing security and medical response. We tend to do more Security then medical response, because of the amount of drinking that goes on at this thing. One thing I have observed is that there are some people on our team who get a much better response then others. Those people are all generally calm of demeanor, carry themselves confidently, don't often feel threatened by shows of force. They usually maintain and even tone while talking to individuals who are upset.
On the other hand the guys who tend to escalate a situtaion are often the tough talking types who do more talk then walk. They often puff up when confronted by someone who is not in their right state of mind and being aggressive. Their voice gets gruff or shows signs of stress. Their body posture is often defensive and closed. They tend to be uncompromising and aggressive themselves, often approching individuals with an "attitude".

chen zhen
08-07-2003, 08:12 AM
Unbalanced psyche+beer=trouble
;)

tnwingtsun
08-07-2003, 08:49 AM
Cow wrote

"Guy A spills a beer, Guy B gets into his face and start insulting Guy A and pushing him around.

I have often observed may it be in a pub, Tui-shou, office meeting or similar."

You wacky robot builders have some CRAZY office meetings.

Shaolin-Do
08-07-2003, 09:02 AM
People are ignorant. Theres also the fact that there are a lot of people that think they have to prove something by fighting... Just like that chick in high school that thought shed be popular for f*cking the entire football team.

I know a few people who are very inclined to fight. They tend to be aggressive, hold themselves as so, lack proper communication skills, and well, they are fairly less intelligent than your average person.

Personally, I have a very calm demeanor, and when people puff up and try to get bout it bout it, I just stay calm and its gotten me out of pretty much any situation ive ever been in... I gots mediation training too tho... :D

Kristoffer
08-07-2003, 10:17 AM
Something that's a 'trend' over here in sthlm is ppl take sleeping pills called Rohypnol. This mixed with alcohol makes u sluggy, agressive and you feel like you are in a dream. If you'r confronted by this, good luck trying to calm him down.

Shaolin-Do
08-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Rohypnol = date rape drug.

Makes you feel really really drunk... Usually causes a "blackout" as well... Ive gotten a hot dose a parties a couple times, just glad I got it instead of the girl whoever the stupid f*ck was trying to bang... (usually happens at rich kid parties)

I find that people are really really easy to deal with once motor skills and physical strength have been inhibited to this point. Same goes for people on heroin. Its the amphetamine addicts you dont want to have to deal with.
:)

red5angel
08-07-2003, 10:43 AM
Yenhoi's mom has been known to start a fight from time to time.

Shaolin-Do
08-07-2003, 11:06 AM
She hit me in the mouth for noticing her cankles.
:(

:D

red5angel
08-07-2003, 12:07 PM
I'm not sure I want to know what a cankle is...

Shaolin-Do
08-07-2003, 12:17 PM
cankles = when the calf goes to the foot, no visible ankle.
Cankles.
(fat legs)

norther practitioner
08-07-2003, 12:23 PM
Just like that chick in high school that thought shed be popular for f*cking the entire football team.
At the same time?

I thought fights don't happen in real life and a bell had to sound for them to go off in a ring...

Seriously, fights start out of ego more times than not... even when you are helping a damsel in distress and get into a fight, it is not truely 100% selflesness, everyone wants to be a hero at some point.

Shaolin-Do
08-07-2003, 12:29 PM
Ego = Bing!
Your right!

:)

Once most fights start (before physical confrontation) Agressor agressess the agressee. Agressee stands up and does not back down, in worry of losing face. Agressee now stands up to agressor, who in an attempt to not lose face, stands back up. This process continues until both boneheads are removed from one another, or physical confrontation occurs.

norther practitioner
08-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Once most fights start (before physical confrontation) Agressor agressess the agressee. Agressee stands up and does not back down, in worry of losing face. Agressee now stands up to agressor, who in an attempt to not lose face, stands back up.

:confused:

Who shot whom in the whatnow...

yenhoi
08-07-2003, 03:15 PM
M to the innie, S to the ota, thats the anthem ya'all, gosh darnit, put your darn hands up.

Dontcha know?

;)

red5angel
08-07-2003, 03:16 PM
Ya You betcha!!!!

yenhoi
08-07-2003, 03:17 PM
Fights happen because people decide to fight.

One, both, or all of the people make the choice at some point to actually fight. There are of course, things that affect decision making. Human combat rituals, drugs, someone punching you, etc.

:cool:

red5angel
08-07-2003, 03:19 PM
My rule of thumb is if Yenhoi's mom punches me I am kicking her A$$!!!!!

norther practitioner
08-07-2003, 03:20 PM
someone punching you
Yeah, I'd say that would start something up...

Shaolin-Do
08-07-2003, 03:39 PM
What if its a hot chick just giving a friendly slug to the shoulder?\

"Human combat rituals"

I smear my face with lambs blood before battle.

yenhoi
08-07-2003, 03:45 PM
I smear my face with lambs blood before battle.

Very odd.

I was talking more about puffing up the chest, etc.

:cool:

Shaolin-Do
08-07-2003, 03:47 PM
I shot the sherriff.

(but I did not shoot the deputy)

ZIM
08-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Some ppl just have an expectation to 'let go' when drinking; it's kind of similar to a guy acting drunk when he's drinking non-alcoholic beer.

As far as ego- most psychologists agree here, but there's a wrinkle to it: overestimation of self. Its frickin great if you got ego- ego helps you in life, so don't knock it too much. If you got the stuff to back up how large your ego is, thats even better. The key as in everything is proportion.

But, when someone who has an ego AND has the personal qualities to back their own ego up [sifus, maybe? ;)] comes up and calls you on it, then you have to deal with the cognitive dissonance of being publicly exposed as being a dumba$$ not hotsh1t. Ppl like that just lash out so as to restore their internal self-image.

Et voila! a fight or a driveby, or whatever.

There's other stuff, but whatever- just responding to that bit.

TigerJaw
08-08-2003, 02:10 AM
Reported in the Guardian last year, here in Britain was an investigation into how and why drunken violence happens. As you may know, Britain has archaic lcencing laws which means all pubs close at 11 O'clock and the streets are full of drunk folk. This coupled with certain town centres cateing to overpaid, undermature wankers leads to the odd spot of fisticuffs.

Anyway, the jist of the article was that some young men behave like pack animals. Clustering in groups of between three and five for safety and morale support whilst trying to find women. When entering a room, these men sub-consciously look at the girls to see who they find attractive and look at the men to see who they perceive to be a threat. The men being looked at perceive the eye contact as a challenge. Apparently, the most common phrase to intiate a confrontation.

'What do you think you're looking at?'

Repulsive Monkey
08-08-2003, 04:49 AM
Ego won't let go and lack of ego will neutralise an afront.

TonyM.
08-08-2003, 09:21 AM
I think fighting is about possesivness.

norther practitioner
08-08-2003, 09:27 AM
'What do you think you're looking at?'
Not much buddy..
You don't have to go to London to see that happen... This seems pretty common in "Jock Bars"