PDA

View Full Version : Will running **** me up?

taijiquan_student
08-06-2003, 11:41 PM
Hey guys. Lately, for some odd reason, I've felt like running would be a good thing to do. Not marathon-type stuff, just running a couple miles in the morning or something. I've always been pretty against running because it'll mess up your joints(knees especially, maybe ankles) later in life. Am I right?
Will running fuc.k me up? Would I be better off getting the same cardiovascular results by shadowboxing for 30 min. or something? Thanks a bunch.

rubthebuddha
08-07-2003, 12:19 AM
i think the health benefits you'd get form running every now and then would outweigh the detriments.

to answer your question, yes and yes. run maybe once or twice a week, just a couple miles. shadowbox once or twice a week for a half hour. do forms for a while. etc.

mix your training up. unless you're going to register for a triathlon, the need to really go balls out on a certain thing isn't that high. however, for your training, there may be such a need. be fit enough to be intense in a few different avenues -- shadowboxing, running, perhaps swimming or another sport, etc. being good at one thing means just that, and many times those skills acquired don't always translate over to other activities. but the more well-rounded you are physically (emotionally and mentally, too), the better able you will be to tackle things that come your way.

Shaolin-Do
08-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Running can be real bad for your knees... Jump roping on something slightly padded has done me worlds of good... adding ankle weights helped a lot too :)

Run, just not too often. Mix is up as RTB said. Jumping Jacks, Shadow boxing, straight up sparring for lengths of time, swimming is a very very good way to not only improve your cardio, but increase bloodflow.

jun_erh
08-12-2003, 01:20 PM
jumping rope is great, but it's a different sort of cardio than running, more sprint-y. I run 4+ miles every other day. It doesn't hurt at all. I enjoy it.

unrelated
08-12-2003, 08:36 PM
Those who have posted seem to agree: Running can really mess up your joints.

I know several people in great shape who have horrible knees from running. If you can find another exercise to achieve your goals with less physical cost then do so. If not consider two things: 1) Practice and 2) technique

Practice: If you run, softer surfaces are generally better than hard: Pavement over concrete, grass over pavement. Wear running shoes that are in good condition. Most people use running shoes for too many miles.

Technique: There are better and worse ways to run. For example some people run flat footed. Better to roll the foot from heel to ball of the foot. Experts may have other advice. I have heard of people who have running techniques that permit them to run without injury regardless of footwear or lack thereof. I have never seen this, but if you are serious about running then it may be worth looking into.

rubthebuddha
08-12-2003, 10:41 PM
do some investigating on a website FOR runners, by those weenie peeps that run all day long. they'll have better things to say than we will. :)

jun_erh
08-13-2003, 03:06 PM
don't eat meat
don't drink
don't smoke
don't lift weights
don't run
don't have sex or masterbate

Do not MOVE :mad:

I'm WARNING YOU

SevenStar
08-17-2003, 11:28 PM
Running is great for cardio but can be hard on the knees and some cases, the back and ankles. A good idea may be to get your form checked, and also to ensure you have the proper shoes - we have a facility here that will watch your running, examine your feet, etc. they will make any necessary corrections to your form and also reccommend what the feel would be the best shoes for you.