PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

Martial Joe
02-04-2001, 01:09 AM
What do you do when you are confronted by some one and you feel like you are about to be attacked,It isnt an often thing for me but I kinda have my hands near my chest and a play with my fingers so if they strike me I am ready,unlike having my hands in my pockets.

Joe :cool:

Matt-le-kat
02-04-2001, 01:20 AM
Yea that's just what i do, just incase they throw a punch, i'll be half ready to recieve it.

Nothing is to be feared, only understood....

rogue
02-04-2001, 03:18 AM
Also make sure you're in a t-stance. Front foot forward back foot at 90 degrees to it, knees slightly flexed weight on the toes.

MonkeySlap Too
02-04-2001, 04:22 AM
I seek to put obstacles in the way - a chair, a table. Anything for distance. If there are no options, I talk with my 'hands' so that they are up and I can check any shoulder rotation. I look down and haze my eyes. This engages periphial vision and also creates the illusion that I am submissive.

I once had someone grab my wrists when I did this - which is the best thing that could happen as now he couldn't cheap shot me, but I had complete awareness of his body - and skeletyal control if I chose top use it (I did, a quick shake and he was on his ass and the witnesses didn't even recognize it as a throw.).

If I beleive the person is armed or with others and the danger is imminent I attack first, with the goal of incapacitation, not submission.

If it is just a blow hard I engage my reason fu and talk them out of it.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Martial Joe
02-04-2001, 05:50 AM
wouldn't t-stance depend on what MA you study?

rogue
02-04-2001, 06:37 AM
The stances name might be different but the idea is the same, it's like a cat stance but both feet are flat. The idea is to get ready for defense, counter attack or a pre-emp attack without looking like you are. It protects the groin while allowing mobility. It's kind of the defacto stance that a lot of guys(aikido, jujitsu, karate) I train with use in the real world.

edziak
02-04-2001, 07:46 AM
Personaly If I thought I were about to be attacked and I felt I could take them I would attack first. Waiting for the other person to attack does not seem like a smart idea.

Martial Joe
02-04-2001, 07:57 AM

Martial Joe
02-04-2001, 07:58 AM
I know what you are saying edziak and i agrea with you.I am in school still and all these confrontations that i have had have been in school.but i dont like to get in trouble in school...if it were out on the street i would def. do what you are explaining,but in school i try to not get the person more ****ed off,but i try to be ready for any outside emergency.

Joe

[This message was edited by Martial Joe on 02-04-01 at 10:05 PM.]

Watchman
02-04-2001, 08:39 AM
I usually put one hand forward and use the other hand to unsnap the holster carrying my .45. It's amazing how a determined look and half-drawing a weapon will deter an attack.

"Learning without thought is labour lost; thought without learning is perilous." -- Confucious

The CBC
02-08-2001, 04:39 AM
I personally would get sacered and leave ;) but if I would stay and fight I would first prepare myself mentally by thinking something bezzar like this guy just killed my cousin are something to get myself really ****ed off and keep my hands at chest level but I agree with Martial Joe bcause I to am in school and the law here where I live states that if you fight at school even if you don't start the fight they take you down to the pin and your parents have to pay 250 dollars to get you out plus find another school because you would not be allowed back at that school for a year so if some one beats the sh*t out of you and you through one lick or the guys friends say you started it you go downtown this really sucks :(

Martial Joe
02-08-2001, 05:55 AM
You told me about this quincy...that is so lame how they do that...in my school if i pounded some kids head in orgot my own pounded in we would get a few detentions or most likely get supended for a couple days...just keep doing what your doing because if you have to risk that much legal laws,well,its not worth it,my school is a different story.But if I was in your shoes i would talk to the kid and tell him how retarded it is to do that knowing that crap will happen to you..If you read this again andswer this...what would you do if it wasnt in school?

Fish of Fury
02-08-2001, 07:02 AM
i've found saying "if you strike me down i'll become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" doesn't work as well as you'd think.

running's good :)

The CBC
02-08-2001, 09:04 AM
If it was not in school and I knew someone wanted to do me something I wouldn't wait for them to confront me I would just wait tell I see him or them and then try kick the crap out of him or them dosen't matter if Its more than one better get it over with as quickly as possible I mean if a bunch of guys say their goining to beat you to blood pulp why wait for them to do it just get it over with

[This message was edited by Quincy on 02-08-01 at 11:10 PM.]

joedoe
02-10-2001, 05:13 AM
Love your reply Fish ;-).

I find you should be focused on preparing for the attack. Thinking of things like 'this guy killed my cousin' doesn't help me because the last thing I want in a fight situation is for emotion to cloud my actions.

I agree with Fish though - running away is the prefered action :).

If you can't get away, always remember, "Smith & Wesson beats four aces"

The CBC
02-10-2001, 06:47 AM
It helps me to lose the scared nervous feeling

joedoe
02-11-2001, 06:09 AM
Fair enough I guess :).

Martial Joe
02-11-2001, 06:40 AM
yeah,if something works for you and you are saticefied with that then do that and dont listen to anyone else

Well anyway back to the subject...i was wondering if any of you guys know if there is any better and safer ways then holding ur hands near your chest and im not talking about running away or attacking the person i mean is there another way like positioning and stuff???

Martial Joe
02-11-2001, 10:23 PM
???

joedoe
02-11-2001, 11:29 PM
I guess your hands just need to be in front of you where you can easily defend. They don't have to be on your chest.

Obstacles are also good (as mentioned before) as they can slow the attack and give you precious preparation time.

I guess it also depends on the style of fighting you are used to - if you need room to fight then make sure there is room. If you are more used to in-fighting then you MAY have an advantage in a more closed space (assuming the other guy is not a good in-fighter).

That is all I can think of, apart from making sure you have a decent escape route just in case :).

Martial Joe
02-12-2001, 12:45 AM
I study Wing Chun...dont need much room.

Joe

The CBC
02-12-2001, 01:11 AM
always try to control the space between you and your opponet with chair even a weapon if you have like a cane are those chains that kids were on their pants are anything to control the space between you and your assailant to keep him at a distance always make sure that if you need to run their is an opening and last if he has friends try to keep them all on one side so they can't jump you from all directions

JWTAYLOR
02-12-2001, 11:57 PM
I urinate and sh!t myself. Incredible repellent effect. Leart it from a huntin possums.

Jon Wayne Taylor

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Martial Joe
02-13-2001, 01:10 AM
Haha

Martial Joe
02-13-2001, 01:14 AM
Quincy..usualy when your swinging a chain at some one it means your going to fight ...plus chains take to long to get off your pants..by then your head will be in the pavement,because if some one your up against acsualy has common sence he isnt going to stand there and let you unhook th chain from your wallet/pants..get my drift.

Joe

oldwolf
02-13-2001, 01:49 AM
I'm not insulting anyone, just asking you to uestion your own experience. From my reading of this posting and a previous one entitled "what would be your first offensive technique in a street battle" I take it not a lot of you have been in many battles on the pavement arena. I would urge you to look at the posting by ghostdog on the prior thread. you have alot to learn about confrontation outside the controlled envioronment of the kwoon, dojo, ring or training hall. Stick at it. :cool:

"And the crowd called out for more"

oldwolf
02-13-2001, 01:52 AM
I'm not insulting anyone, just asking you to question your own experience. From my reading of this posting and a previous one entitled "what would be your first offensive technique in a street battle" I take it not a lot of you have been in many battles on the pavement arena. I would urge you to look at the posting by ghostdog on the prior thread. you have alot to learn about confrontation outside the controlled envioronment of the kwoon, dojo, ring or training hall. Stick at it. :cool:

Martial Joe
02-13-2001, 06:46 AM
Who are you talking about..i hope not me...i think i know a fair amount on that stuff.

nhbfighter_57069
02-14-2001, 06:54 AM
Being a bouncer for many years I found that is you keep your voice in a mild tone and don't say anything threating people tend to back down. But don't sound like a wimp of people could see that as weakness. Keep you body lang. relaxed and non-threating but also ready to go if need be. If you need to put your hands on someone to back them up or something, use the back of you hands, by putting you hands on the with your palm, it is much more threating.

Martial Joe
02-14-2001, 08:08 AM
"""""""If you need to put your hands on someone to back them up or something, use the back of you hands, by putting you hands on the with your palm, it is much more threating.""""""...could you reword it for me,please?,i dont realy understand what that ment..i know what your saying about the additude part because thats how i am before a fight...once some one knows what they are up against they loose 50% of there confidence,gives you a greater chance of winning and them a easyer target..the 50% thing isnt acurate though because everyone thinks differently...but please explan that again...you totaly lost me when you said the hands thing.

[This message was edited by Martial Joe on 02-14-01 at 10:13 PM.]

nhbfighter_57069
02-14-2001, 10:22 PM
No problem, usually when a person puts their hands on someone's chest it is palms towards the person, this can be viewed as threating because you could grag them. Put the back of your hands on their chestm this is much less threating.

oldwolf
02-15-2001, 11:38 PM
Hi Joe,
My Karate Sensei, who is a notorious street fighter, used to use the back of his hand to measure the exact distance to his opponents before it kicked off, a none threatening manner but able to guage the others reaction, bridging the gap almost fuk sau. Personally I have always used the knife hand / palm heel, either as a 'don't want any trouble mate' or as an aggresive smash to the sternum / clavicle. as per the Peter Consterdine / Geoff Thompson approach. Just on a side note, Peter Consterdine is a training buddy / contempory of my own sensei, a karateka for real, and also trains in wing chun. :D

Martial Joe
02-21-2001, 04:30 AM
What do you mean by he uses the back of his hand to mesure the distance?

soy
02-26-2001, 07:44 AM
that's only happened to me once in the last 5 years.. and before then I don't remember many.. it was this crazy crackhead bum.. I just started walking away from him slowly..

Watchman
02-28-2001, 01:28 AM
Martial Joe, I think oldwolf might mean his Sensei uses the "back of his hand to measure distance" like us Wing Chun guys would use Man Sau (seeking hand).

"Learning without thought is labour lost; thought without learning is perilous." -- Confucious

oldwolf
03-03-2001, 11:48 PM
Spot on watchman