PDA

View Full Version : looking for a Martial Arts workout

KungFuFighting
08-07-2003, 07:30 PM
I've been a weightlifter for 5 years, and now that im doing kung fu, Im trying to stray away from powerlifting and workouts that make me more bulky. I was just wondering if anyone has a workout (free weights or machines) thats compliments martial arts.

Oso
08-07-2003, 08:11 PM
do every 'kung fu' thing you know 100 times each as fast and as accurately as you can.

if 100 times isn't enough, then do it 200 times.

if you want a serious answer go to the 'training and health' forum and IronFist, rubthebuddha or Ford Prefect will hook you up.

KungFuFighting
08-08-2003, 08:45 AM
cool...if admin. reads this could you move it to the training and health forum?? thanks
BTW...I work out 4 times a week, so if anyone has a work out for that amount of days, more or less.

CoconutRobot
08-08-2003, 09:13 AM
I have been using kettlebells with good success. Lots of good stuff can be found in their forum too.

DragonDoor Forum (http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/tpost.pl)

No_Know
08-08-2003, 09:22 AM
Palms/Fists (punching surface) on the ground; toetips on the ground; lower and forward; rise then backward. eliptical movement. Do it until you Can't. You'll know when this comes. When it comes you will be doing the movement with your intention, your thought, your will, but your body is on the ground with your fists/palms and toetips.
When you get up because you figure you're done you Can't. You struggle to get your upperbody up palms/fists in the same position, it's not immediate. When your lower body catches up with your upperbody, and you are in a push-up position again, then do the eliptical movement until you Can't. By the time you can get your upperbody fully off of the floor and your lower body catches-up, then step your feet to the line of your palms/fists. Then straighten-up and whatever whatever.

Posting what makes-up the kung-fu you do might be helpful to understanding what might be helpful to you.

SevenStar
08-08-2003, 10:47 AM
panther leaps, monkey jacks, hindu pushups, etc. you can do reps with all of your training exercises. check out

trainforstrength.com for some good bodyweight exercise workouts.

strength training will not add any excess bulk if done properly. you don't have to quit lifting if that's your only worry.

KungFuFighting
08-08-2003, 10:48 AM
the kung fu i do is tzu jan kune do, which is made up of northern praying mantis springy foot and shaolin long fist.

Ford Prefect
08-08-2003, 12:17 PM
Hope you weren't out in Worcester last night. I saw some of the flood footage. Ouch! I'll stay in Boston thanks. :)

What are your goals?

Shaolin-Do
08-08-2003, 12:36 PM
Jump rope, fingertip pushups, wrist pushups (ill give descriptions on Training board if you wish) heavy bag work, If you have a heavy ass iron bar or the like theres some great workouts with it...

Samurai Jack
08-08-2003, 03:35 PM
Powerlifting is great for martial arts. Squats and Deadlifts are the two of the most efficent lifts you can do to build up over-all strength for MA. Try Powercleans too if you can. Lots of people will tell you this isn't true, "you'll get to stiff", "you can't practice my art and weight train" etc. , but none of them have any lifting experience, GARANTEED. I'd post your question in the training forum.

Shaolin-Do
08-08-2003, 05:27 PM
I plan on taking weight lifting during the spring semester :)

No_Know
08-08-2003, 05:35 PM
Do your horse-riding stance with a bar (the thing to which weightlifters add weight).When you can hold it for an hour ad some weight. Be sensible. Drawing upon your weightlifting database.

SevenStar
08-08-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
I plan on taking weight lifting during the spring semester :)

I'm getting ready to help the trainers at my gym set up their weight training classes. Matter of factly, I'm actually training one of them!

No_Know
08-08-2003, 06:59 PM
Mop a floor with a rag type mop. Use only one hand (palm-up, then palm-down; alternate hands). Get as close to the handle end and still do a good job mopping in a figure eight pattern.

Wring out the mop with one hand. Wring it as dry as you can. Start near the handle. Go down in sections. Move over to grab a next column of rag.

Wring out a towel or cloth or clothes (socks are good).