PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous heat wave in Europe

yu shan
08-07-2003, 09:46 PM
How are you people coping with this miserable heat? In parts of the U.S. we get this wretched heat, but this is uncommon for your area of the world. Hang in there!

Elxen
08-07-2003, 11:22 PM
thank you :-)

I really wonder how you guys normally deal with such a heat and escpecially on the topic of training.
I wanted to go run some miles yesterday but I could barely walk
:(
no outdoor training untill the wheather gods are more favourable to me I guess

Laughing Cow
08-07-2003, 11:28 PM
Elxen.

Not in Europe at the moment, but I can guess how you guys must be suffering over there.

I would assume that air-conditioning is still not the norm for private housing.

You can train in this heat, just make sure that you get plenty of fluids & minerals.
And watch those kilos roll off you.

Seeya.

rubthebuddha
08-07-2003, 11:50 PM
And watch those kilos roll off you. LC, that's called leprosy, and we don't want that.

back to topic, i hope all you folks in europia don't get too bogged down. :)

yu shan
08-07-2003, 11:53 PM
Grew up in Florida, totally humid kind of heat! Is this heat a wet kind or dry? Looks like your under high pressure, would guess it`s a dry heat. Of course, drink alot of water & stay out of the sun. Wear little as possible...could be very interesting! :)

Laughing Cow
08-07-2003, 11:57 PM
Yu-Shan.

Europe tends to be rather dry-heat.

Not like the humid soggy heat we get over here, same humidity as florida and maybe a bit warmer.
;)
Put air-con on "DRY" wait 2 hours and open the window, you can actually feel the humidity creeping into the room.
:D

And I train in that outdoors.
Me, nuts.

Elxen
08-08-2003, 01:03 AM
It's a kind of heat that when you come out of the (airconditioned) office you get slammed by the big heat hammer and you can do nothing but suffer on every move you make :-)

On television we are also warned not to do any physical exercise in open air because of the high ozon concentrations. A friend of me went biking yesterday and his lungs burned like hell, so I decided to stay inside and do some weightlifting and sweat my balls off

And about losing weight....i don't want to lose weight! (as ectomorph fat is only some vague word to me :-)
Luckily muscles don't sweat off :-)

TzuChan
08-08-2003, 01:53 AM
Yes, the heat I can handle, but the high level of ozon in the air makes it very unhealthy to go run etc.. which is seriously messing with my training shedule =(

premier
08-08-2003, 04:13 AM
And watch those kilos roll off you.

Litres. Litres. Needless to remind that sweating more doesn't mean burning more calories?

It was pretty hot in Finland too for a couple of weeks. Not that hot though. Just 26-33celcius. But it's still very hot on our standards. Longest heat wave in finnish history. 26celcius in concidered heat in Finland :D

chen zhen
08-08-2003, 07:10 AM
I have'nt really noticed any changes in temp this summer from what it uses to be.
But it's 36 degrees (C) today though. I felt it in the bus today too, must have been 50 in there..:eek::p

45degree fist
08-08-2003, 08:15 AM
I live in Arizona this july the average temp was 110 basically if you just stay in the shade and drink lots of water you will be alright. just avoid direct sunlight and know your limits

P.S. after a workout a cool breeze under a tree feels better than an Air conditioned room.

Shaolin-Do
08-08-2003, 12:50 PM
"I live in Arizona this july the average temp was 110 basically if you just stay in the shade and drink lots of water you will be alright. just avoid direct sunlight and know your limits"

Know your limits.

Generally, people in colder climates tend to have thicker blood than people in warmer climates. Gets hot, blood dont flow right, heat strokes often occur. Thats why heat warning are at 85 degrees in minnesota or 90 or whatever, and they dont say sh!t here when it gets to be 110.
So... you europeans be careful. Heatstrokes wouldnt be fun.
:(

IronFist
08-08-2003, 01:24 PM
What the hell? Whose A/C has an option called "dry?"

IronFist

Laughing Cow
08-08-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
What the hell? Whose A/C has an option called "dry?"

IronFist

Standard over here, we tend to get humidity of 90% and above for a large part of the summer. some even add minus Ion and oxygen. ;)

Combine that humidity with 32~38 degrees and you will need it.
Even showers don't help to cool you down as after 5 minutes you wander if you toweled yourself off. :D

Seeya.

wall
08-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Milan, Italy, here. 37-39 C every day for the past 5-6 weeks, humidity 50-80%, heat perception factor 42-48! I have hardly been able to train, constantly feeling lethargic. Finished at the office a few days ago and now on vacation so not even 10 hours of air-con a day (home has no air-con as climate normally doesn't require it). Mountains, beaches, all massively hot and humid, don't feel like doing anything other than lying on couch sweating and drinking iced tea.
On a bigger scale, rivers are at a 150 years low, we might have blackouts soon, and farmers have lost huge % of crops. The glaciers are melting at an umbelievable rate: normaly in this season the termic 0 is at around 3500 meters (glaciers start at 3200-3300 meters here), this summer the termic 0 has never got below 4300! And then there are the forest fires everywhere....

No end in sight either, latest forecast is that it will last until september and the start of autumn!

I can't stand it anymore.

Wall (melting)

dezhen2001
08-09-2003, 05:21 AM
yeah even up here is been between 30-35C all week... im not used to this kinda sh|t :mad: lol

Luckily in the store i work right now there is air-con on the shop floor. But when u go up to the store room or whatever theres nothing, and it has ceiling insulation against the winter etc. so its like being in a sauna with no humidity...

and yet i still havent got a suntan :D

dawood

stubbs
08-09-2003, 06:15 AM
i cant stop drinking tea, beer and cider!! i know they're all durectics but they're the only things that make me feel refreshed.

it's really annoying because i had my arm outside my window driving home and now i've got one brown arm and one pastey white one lol
________
Vapolution (http://www.vaporshop.com/vapolution-vaporizer.html)

yu shan
08-09-2003, 08:02 PM
since moving to Tennessee, these folks call this a farmer`s tan...

bung bo
08-23-2003, 12:41 PM
i seem to be dealing with the heat o.k. in june and july i had a job working outside pushing heavy stuff.(got a great farmer's tan doing that!) and i was living at a diiferent location which no longer gave me the luxury of training in the shade.(had no idea how much different it felt) but my heat tolerance went up quick. when i train outside, i drink a lot of water. i used to drink gatorade, but all that sugar sucks.