PDA

View Full Version : Differences between Xingyi and Yi-quan

StickyHands
08-07-2003, 10:41 PM
Ive read some articles regarding the difference between these two arts, but haven't read it where they compare, so I am completely at lost how these two would differ from each other. What I learned so far that has some tendency to point out the obvious, which is Yi-Quan has less forms or isnt distracted by confining to forms and the founder never intended to be a slow learning and development of qi? But lately I am also reading that main principle behind is indeed qi, and hence it's regarded as an internal art. So those who practiced it both or are aware of it thoroughly, physical wise or principle wise, what makes these two different practically?

shadow
08-08-2003, 10:57 AM
Wang Hsiang Chai, believed most kung fu practioners were putting too much emphasis on physical movement. He felt students should first develop the chi, intent, and spirit. then learn movement. When this was accomplished; as Grandmaster Wang said; "You don't do kung fu. the kung fu dose you". As far as the differences, Well, you could probally write a book on the subject, Basically Grandmaster Wang did away with the forms of Hsing Yi and replaced them with standing meditations (zhan zhuang) and added the stronger points or essence of many other kung fu styles such as tai chi's softness, bagua's footwork and circularity shaolin's chi kung to name a few. there was a nice two-part article on this subject in Kung Fu/ Qigong magazine several years ago. I'll try to find the exact issues and get back to you later.

StickyHands
08-08-2003, 09:35 PM
Thanks.

Actually this is what I meant:

In the mid-1920's, after long-time practice, research, and rich combat experience, Wang was very much disillusioned of the traditional martial arts, realizing repetition of forms (fixed sequences of movements known as taolu in Chinese, kata in Japanese) and other common training methods had very little practical value. Many of the training methods used in traditional Chinese martial arts had become very "looks-oriented", i.e. they would look good when performed, but had very little to offer to one's health or combat skills. There was also a tendency towards martial arts being mere fixed collections of techniques, that would be strictly copied from the master to the disciple. Wang realized, that the external form was not the decisive factor for combat or health. The traditional internal martial arts, the most popular three being Taijiquan (nowadays practiced almost exclusively for health and relaxation, or as a form of moving meditation), Xingyiquan, and Baguazhang, are based on so called "internal strength", but their training methods, based on forms, are inefficient and time consuming for the development of this strength, and the practitioners of these arts often hold numerous superstitious beliefs regarding strength and combat. What is called internal strength, in modern terms refers to highly developed neuromuscular efficiency, great control of the body through mastery of relaxation and tension, and excellence in body mechanics, leading not only to great power, but also excellent agility. Wang Xiangzhai, though at the time unaware of the modern scientific explanation of internal strength, realized that development of this ability had been the core of his personal development, and that with new methods, separated from the forms, it could be developed more effectively. He, however, prefered to talk of "strength", as he saw the "internal" and "external" strength to be two parts of the equition resulting in "strength", and to him it meant much more than what is called strength today. Like Wang in his first book, The Right Path of Yiquan said, these training methods would change clumsy into agile, and weak into strong.

What is called internal strength, in modern terms refers to highly developed neuromuscular efficiency, great control of the body through mastery of relaxation and tension, and excellence in body mechanics, leading not only to great power, but also excellent agility. He, however, prefered to talk of "strength", as he saw the "internal" and "external" strength to be two parts of the equition resulting in "strength", and to him it meant much more than what is called strength today.

This is what got me interested, he seemingly didnt say oh the mystical force qi, but rather relaxation of body, lack of stress and nervousness, properbiomechanics, neuromuscular mobility, and no tension - mental or physical, this seems a lot more plausible. And of couse no forms, but direct to principles.

StickyHands
08-08-2003, 11:20 PM
Is there any online guide or instructions to Zhan Zhuang? Is Zhan Zhuang the first step to learning Yi Quan? Where I live, I cant find any Yi Quan instructors. Thanks.

Ka
08-09-2003, 06:20 PM
Check out
www.yiquan.com
the Beijing school is good value

shadow
08-11-2003, 10:50 AM
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was out of town all weekend and did'nt have acsess to the net. The articles I was speaking of were the July/Aug and Sep/Oct of 2001. You might want to check out Yiquan Online they have several e-books you can download some for free.

shadow
08-11-2003, 11:04 AM
I just ran across this link, Maybe just what you are looking for.

www.yiquan.org.uk/art-pom1.html