PDA

View Full Version : Th heavy Bag and kung fu thread

KC Elbows
08-08-2003, 05:48 AM
Yes I am on topic, so mark the callendars.

Okay, we've had to rearrange the house, and the workout room has been moved to a different area. Problem is, it's a small area, and I'm trying to figure out some semi-permanent way to make it simple to put the bag up and take it down so it isn't occupying the middle of the room when I'm not using it, but not on the floor other times(because it's in the basement now, and I don't want it to get water damaged. Anyway, I just had it hanging from heavy chain before, but I didn't care for that setup, because it always seemed to list, so I need a better method. I'll probably have to just set up a hook at the edge of the room to store it, but anyway, I'm curious how everyone else has theirs suspended.

And then, while you're posting, share the heavy bag drills you would do were you not posting on the internet and doing whatever else you do there.

I like to do rounds, where you've got to got three minutes, maybe focus on hands for the duration, doing these rounds for awhile, three minutes on, one off.

Royal Dragon
08-08-2003, 04:57 PM
I've just got mine on blocks in the corner of the room. I beat it sensless, and when it's all dented up, I turn it over. It's a canvas Everlast bag, about 80 pounds.

I also have about 550 pounds of metal saw dust, and I am waiting to find an old all cowhide Everlast heavy bag for it. When I have the $$ fo that, and a place to hang it, I'll use it for kicking drills. 550 pounds is not quite enough to fill that bag, so I'll have to top it off with sand. I'm guessing it will be close to 575 pounds when it's finnaly full.

Shaolin-Do
08-08-2003, 05:15 PM
I have 2 80lb leather bags, 1 I hang with the bottom about 3 1/2 feet off the ground, the other is about 2 feet away. Use 1 for hands 1 for feet.
They are about 3 feet away from each other as well, so I can do 2 vs 1 drills on them.

fa_jing
08-09-2003, 05:23 PM
Sounds like a good setup, SD. I used to love the heavy bag training, trained rounds like KC. Nowhere to put this one, though.
BTW we used to train just punches, 5 rounds strong side and 1 round weak side. For extra pain, do 10-20 incline situps after each round during your rest period.

Shaolin-Do
08-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I really like having them set like that, works quite well... :)

Black Jack
08-09-2003, 07:05 PM
BOB Spar Pro/Striking Man dummies are also fun to use as you get that extra visual to go with. You can really see where your practice strikes hit and how the dummy bends.

SevenStar
08-09-2003, 08:35 PM
BOB is good - they aren't for hard striking though. I literally knocked the stuffing out of the one I used to use. BOB is great for training your hook and uppercut strikes.

I train in rounds also. Each round progresses to allow you to use more techniques.

round 1 - jabs only
round 2 - jabs and crosses only
round 3 - jabs, crosses and hooks
round 4 - jabs, crosses, hooks and uppercuts
rounds 5 - 10 - any strikes you wish

between rounds is "active rest" bobbing and weaving, pushups, etc. just something to keep you moving through the break.

Water Dragon
08-09-2003, 08:47 PM
Get a karate belt and tie it around the top of your heavy bag. Place the heavy bag on a weight bench or chair. Steal step in and hip throw the bag 50 times. Repeat to other side.

Steal step in and Ho Ti (back kick out) the heavy bag 50 times per side.

Cover step in and sholder throw the heavy bag 50 times per side.

Put heavy bag on the ground. Squat down, pick it up and throw it backward over your head 50 times.

SevenStar
08-09-2003, 08:58 PM
nice.

yenhoi
08-09-2003, 09:11 PM
My heavy bags hang from chains. The bannana bag is about 6 inches from the ground.

I like rounds also. Right now Im doing 5 minute rounds with 1 minute rest. Sometimes 3 minutes rest, depends on what kinda drills im doing. In the past my training has been in mostly 3 minute rounds with 1 minute rest. Mix kicks with punches, with knees, with elbows. Like 7* said, do rounds with limited weapons, all jab rounds, all jab cross, all jab lead uppercut, all lead uppercut, rear hook, etc. Also long count combos, like 15, 17, 18, 20, and 30 count long combinations. Sometimes entire rounds as fast as possible, sometimes as powerful as possible, sometimes just barely snapping the bag. As many different types of 'routines' as possible.

Even using the 100lb as a crude grappling dummy sometimes.

:eek:

Shaolin-Do
08-09-2003, 09:12 PM
That is nice... Gonna try tomorrow. :)

Royal Dragon
08-10-2003, 05:21 AM
For me, when I have a hanging bag, I like to practice power issueing with single strikes, or 2-3 combo's. I go slowly one technique at a time. As I progress, I move to longer combo's and then faster more rapid ones.

WD, I have a video showing an old Chinese guy from the mainland working and over sized heavy bag in a very similar mannor to what you described, only he has what appears to be "laundry line", or some other type of rope wraped around it a bunch of times instead of a Karate belt.

Liokault
08-10-2003, 05:29 AM
I use my teachers heavy bag in his back garden.

Its suspended from a large double scaffolding A frame thats about 15 feet hight and about 20 feet across.

Its wide enough that we can put up a fast floor to celing ball right next to it so we can move between.

Our bag drills tend to be rounds to promote stamina. 3 mins on heavy bag 1 min rest, bout 9 rounds with my teacher attacking me with a large pad for low kicks randomly.

Other good thing to do with a bag if its heavy enough and not to long is to throw it.

Black Jack
08-10-2003, 07:19 AM
Get a karate belt and tie it around the top of a elderly deranged homeless man you snagged from the city. Place the homeless man on a weight bench or chair. Steal step in and hip throw the homeless man 50 times. Repeat to other side.

Steal step in and Ho Ti (back kick out) the homeless man 50 times per side.

Cover step in and sholder throw the homeless man 50 times per side.

Put homeless man on the ground. Get into your spider man outfit, squat down, pick him up like a fussy baby and throw him backward over your head 50 times.

Once homeless man is broken dump him in the garbage and go pick out a fresh one for training.

Train hard.

Water Dragon
08-10-2003, 11:01 AM
lol @ BlackJack thinking he's funny

Water Dragon
08-10-2003, 11:01 AM
:D

Black Jack
08-10-2003, 11:14 AM
It gave me a snicker. But so do Mexican people who see jesus in a cupcake. I even laugh at ugly babies. I am like that boy in the Omen but a tad taller and with a better sense of dress.

http://www.icomm.ca/dragon/

What is that chinese water dragon doing to the one on the far right?????

KC Elbows
08-10-2003, 02:03 PM
"What is that chinese water dragon doing to the one on the far right?????"

An unnatural act.

Wow, I thought this thread died, guess I was wrong.

7star, great stuff, I'm gonna try that, as well as WD's throwing routine and Yenhoi's combo routine. Homeless people round here have lawyers, so it'll have to be lawyers getting thrown, but I think they'd work just about as well as anyone.

KC Elbows
08-10-2003, 02:04 PM
And, BTW, thumbs up to your comment on cup cakes and the virgin mary.

jun_erh
08-10-2003, 03:45 PM
what's a good way to hang the bag to do uppercuts? I use the bag in the gym and am always wanting to do uppercuts. Also, does anyone have or use one of those fellows, like the lifelike dummy guy, I call it a fellow.

I was using the super hard heavy bag today. It looks like someone made it in an arts and crafts class. the bottom foot or so is hard as a rock, the rest is pretty much useless. It's cool for body shots and I'm working up the nerve to kick it.

buddhapalm
08-10-2003, 11:33 PM
Royal Dragon, you're an animal. 550 pounds of metal filings :-)) Thats insane, but I like it.

By the way, where do you get the filings ?

Cheers

Buddhapalm

Royal Dragon
08-11-2003, 04:07 AM
I was working as a Welder in a facility that manufactures "Fire Place burners". Basically, I collected the filings from the equipment such as our band saw, drill press and pipe threader, a little bit at a time, over the course of the 7 years I worked there.

Although the weight of the filings is about 550, it's still not enough to completely fill the big Everlast heavy bag. I don't work there anymore, so it's doubtful I'll be able to get more to top the bag off. I'll probably just use sand for that. I was origianlly hoping for about 600 pounds.

Shaolin-Do
08-11-2003, 07:17 AM
Thats just nuts... How to hang such a thing?
Or just trying to throw it... jeez...
You are an animal.
:)

Judge Pen
08-11-2003, 07:24 AM
550 lbs? I don't think the bag's stitching would hold that much fill if you are hanging it up. :confused:

Shaolin-Do
08-11-2003, 07:43 AM
Id say the canvas would, that sh!ts pretty tough. Id be more or less worried about the stud in the roof you try and hang it from.
:)

CrippledAvenger
08-11-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by jun_erh
what's a good way to hang the bag to do uppercuts? I use the bag in the gym and am always wanting to do uppercuts.

Best thing I've found for uppercuts is an uppercut bag like this (http://www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo_punchingbags.asp?number=IUB%201&variation=&aitem=42&mitem=126). Alternately, you can work on your uppercut with focus mitts and a partner, but the bag is the way to go for solo practice. It's a shame more gyms don't have 'em.

Judge Pen
08-11-2003, 08:38 AM
What about the heavy bag that is shaped like a big green man with canvas arms, legs, and a head? You can work on upper-cuts if you have one of thoses as well.

Shaolin-Do
08-11-2003, 08:38 AM
Hey dude, thx for the link. Thats bad azz... Think Ill order one next pay check. :)