PDA

View Full Version : Stactic Contraction Question

Viper555
08-08-2003, 01:59 PM
I've been doing a weight routine that I got from one of my friends and while my muscles have gotten bigger and harder, my bench press has going down 10 pounds(even when I rest for a few weeks it doesnt help). I figured since it didnt seem to be making me stronger I would go ahead and try this static contraction thing.

From what I understand your supposed to hold the weight with your arms straight (but not locked out) or bent slightly for 5 to 15 seconds and when you can hold it for 15 seconds you move the weight up and you do it once a week to start out with.

Now for my question. Is that right and if my max bench press is 175 around how much weight will I want to be using for this?

One other question, is it a bad a idea to do push ups, sit ups, and run every day or should you rest at least one day in between?

Samurai Jack
08-08-2003, 03:15 PM
I wrote a long thread explaining the basic principles of the SCT workout several months ago. You can find it by doing a search for "Static Contraction Training Workout". I strongly suggest you purchase Pete Sisco and John Little's book of the same title, and follow it to the letter.

The program does work very, very well, but you need to take some of what they say with a grain of salt. I consider it to be an advanced training routine that is good for breaking a plateau and gaining strength in \your strongest range of motion.

Keep in mind though that in spite of the claims the authors make to the contrary, and my own furvent denial of this fact when I first began the program, you will eventually start to get weaker in the weakest range of motion if you do not periodically work out in the traditional manner.

Use the program for two or three months, then return to regular, full range weight training until you hit another plateau. That's my advice.

Samurai Jack
08-08-2003, 03:19 PM
Oh, and the only way to discover what weights you should begin the program with is by trial and error. The author's suggested that you experiment with weights that exceed your regular one rep max by about 30% or so. Use a calculator, and a squat rack with a bench inside!

Again, I must stress that you should purchase the book because you need to know exactly what you are doing to avoid getting hurt. Good Luck!

Viper555
08-08-2003, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the help ill look up your old post. Ill look for the book tommorrow while im out getting **** for school.

As far as the push ups, situps, and running is it ok to do that everday?

Samurai Jack
08-08-2003, 05:51 PM
You'll want to stop doing pushups and situps when you do SCT. SCT is the most physically demanding form of weight training I've ever engaged in. You simply won't be able to recover quickly enough to make your next workout if you engage in other forms of strength training while you do SCT.

Viper555
08-08-2003, 07:43 PM
Well I kinda dont have a choice. See im in the ROTC at my school and when I don't do pushups on a regular basis I can't do them worth a crap. Even though I got stronger lifting weights my pushup number went down dramatically. If I dont keep my push ups, situps, and running on a certain level i'm out or ROTC.

Samurai Jack
08-08-2003, 08:27 PM
Well there you go. Better try something else then. I suppose you could do SCT for a month or so just to break through your strength plateau, but with all of the work you're going through with ROTC I suspect you already might be overtrained to a degree. If that's the case, SCT would only make it worse. Best of luck.

abobo
08-09-2003, 11:37 AM
Viper,

I don't know the details of the program you are doing now, but if you want a bigger bench, strengthen your weak links. Stuff like presses overhead and rows will help for your shoulders, triceps and lats. And always squeeze the hell out of the bar.

I'm looking at your birth date and I'm guessing that you are in high school. At this age you are only going to get stronger, so don't sweat it. Learn a few big lifts for the whole body, be patient, and from there be willing to experiment.

As far as the ROTC goes: if you are in high school as I suspect, I'm surprised they have physical standards to stay in. I don't know if you like it or not (I wouldn't), but do whatever makes you feel fine.

Viper555
08-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Well im planning on going into the marines after high school so I think its pretty fun. As far as overhead presses and rows, I already do those. See I haven't stopped getting stronger i'm just going at a much slower pace and am improving less and less. I know that that usually dose happen but im just really want to get my bench over 200 before next semester and ive heard good things about the SC stuff so I figured I would give it a shot. I also just wanted to make sure it that i'm not going to hurt myself by running and doing the other exercises everday.