PDA

View Full Version : Core flexibility and strength

red5angel
08-08-2003, 03:16 PM
anyone have any suggestions for building these?

rubthebuddha
08-08-2003, 03:37 PM
yoga.

abobo
08-08-2003, 05:34 PM
no equipment - statics: pushup position, handstand, etc

weights - heavy presses, pulls, one sided movements

bar/branch/beam - pullups, leg raises / pikes

and many more

fa_jing
08-09-2003, 05:03 PM
For core, exercising your abdominals while standing or while simulating the natural actions of the abdominals. So put a rolled-up towel or something underneath your lower back when you are lying down so that you can start from the arched position. There are many options open to you as adobo said. An example of a standing exercise is hanging leg raise. You start from a natural position.

Ka
08-09-2003, 08:31 PM
Check out these
www.t-mag.com/articles/205abs.html

www.bodyresults.com/S2coretraining.asp

I really recommend Saxon Side bends,Windmills,Overheard Squats,Full Contact twist.
Enjoy

yenhoi
08-09-2003, 09:18 PM
i second yoga.

body weight routines.

olympic weightlifting.

forms.

chi kung.

tension sets.

old fashioned stretching.

diet.

general fitness. (one thing affects another..)

:)

abobo
08-10-2003, 11:07 PM
Dragon flags are hard. I tried them tonight after seeing part of Rocky IV.

red5angel
08-11-2003, 07:17 AM
I'd do pilates with my wife but with all the other training I do it is hard to take another hour out of my schedule. That's why I am hoping to find a couple of good exercises.

What is a dragon flag?

yenhoi
08-11-2003, 10:49 AM
There is a dragon flag thread.

I would also reccomend kettlebells.

If you already do an hour a day or pilates then just supplement with bodyweight programs. Do some of scrappers workouts until they are easy as pie.

You said you lift weights already like 4 times a week. I dont think you need anymore. Work on other attributes.

:eek:

red5angel
08-11-2003, 12:56 PM
I would do pilates if it didn't take that long. My wife does them and I have done them a few times with her.

Actually I did Scrappers #2 workout this past saturday. I made the mistake of not eating before hand and I almost threw up about 2/3 of the way into it! Good workout though, kick ass.

Ford Prefect
08-12-2003, 05:42 AM
"core strength" is really only a buzz word in the fitness industry. Very similar to "functional strength". Just work out. Don't neglect any part of your body. The rest will fall into place.

BatesMotel
08-18-2003, 01:51 PM
Hi Jason,

The muscles of the 'core' are the true workhorses of the body, as they are essential to posture, spinal alignment and support, balance, and all movement -- both everyday movements as well as exercise. The muscles of the core are located deep in your pelvis, abdomen, trunk, and back, and they can be targeted directly through the use of exercise balls. Exercise balls are used mostly as a support for strength and stretching exercises. I’ve been using my exercise ball for awhile and have seen the difference in gaining strength in my lower back because of re-building my core.

Kathy