PDA

View Full Version : Ba Qua

hongkongfooey
08-08-2003, 07:16 PM
i used to take this kung fu class in ny...it was supposedly ba qua..but all the teacher taught us was stetching, kicks such as snap kick, hook kick, roundhouse, back roundhouse, and this weird uppercut/hook punch....we did ground fighting like 24/7 but he didn't emphasize on it...i was there for 3 years...but since i didn't really learn anything i left..so for the ba qua people...what is the basis of your style?..is it like tai chi where u use soft force ?...i don't understand it....:confused: :confused:

count
08-09-2003, 07:10 AM
Whew, to many misconceptions and contradictions to address at once. What do you mean you "did ground fighting like 24/7 but he didn't emphasize on it"? Besides, there is very little groundfighting in bagua. What you say your teachers showed you are basic kicks and punches and have little to do with bagua. Besides, there aren't really any roundhouse kicks in bagua. You did the right thing to leave if that's what he showed you in three years. What the **** is "soft force"?

The basis for my bagua is baguazhang is not a style. It's a method of training and fighting that can make any style better. Baguazhang is about constant change. Change in tempo, speed, direction, and power. It starts with the footwork/stepping but it's power comes from the whole body coordination. Especially from the spine. It's known as 8 diagram palm method, but the palm is not the inside center of the hand. It is the whole body. Training consists of stances, circle walking, stepping, basics, applications and forms. Besides that there is additional conditioning for endurance, strength, speed, power and fighting. Techniques cover the entire spectrum of punching, kicking, locking and grappling. But the techniques can be applied with any part of the body.

Since you are in New Jersey, why don't you go to the "All Baguazhang Annual Tournament (http://maoshan.topcities.com/ChengTingHua/All_BaGua.html) next month and see what you can see. Talk to some the people and find a teacher who can help you. I'm sure there are some great teachers right near you.;)