PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu - Pride Total Elimation 2003 Opening Rnd - Sunday 8/10 8:30PM EST PayPerView

truewrestler
08-09-2003, 07:36 AM
http://pridefc.com/

PRIDE Total Elimination 2003

Pay Per View: August 10, 2003

Fight Card:

Chuck Liddell vs Alistair Overeem
Quinton Jackson vs Murilo Bustamante (Ricardo Arona injured)
Wanderlei Silva vs Kazushi Sakuraba
Hidehiko Yoshida vs Kiyoshi Tamura
Mirko "Cro-Cop" Filipovic vs Igor Vovchanchyn
Fedor Emelianenko vs Gary Goodridge
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Ricco Rodriguez

Shaolin-Do
08-09-2003, 08:51 AM
Thats tomorrow eh?
Any clue what PPV will be charging for it?

truewrestler
08-09-2003, 09:04 AM
usually $30, more than worth it... on paper this is one of the best shows in years

SifuAbel
08-09-2003, 12:04 PM
So who is the Kung fu guy? Or did you put kung fu in there so it won't be deleted. Sneaky monkey.

quiet man
08-09-2003, 12:55 PM
I'll be rooting for my fellow countryman Mirko.

Doesn't he have the cutest shorts? :D

truewrestler
08-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by SifuAbel
So who is the Kung fu guy? Or did you put kung fu in there so it won't be deleted. Sneaky monkey. I'm a little disappointed. I was going to post about the K-1 show next friday. I thought Cung Le was fighting in a San Shou match but can't find anything saying he is fighting.... http://www.k-1usa.net/docs/news/news.asp?news_id=30807

truewrestler
08-09-2003, 01:55 PM
****, this ad picture shows Cung Le and I could have sworn I read something about him fighting in a San Shou match... not sure if I'm going to order now (K-1 next friday)

http://64.246.56.56/graphics/banners/k1_bellagio_2003.jpg

SevenStar
08-09-2003, 08:38 PM
I'll be checking it out at a friend's house tomorrow

truewrestler
08-10-2003, 09:41 AM
I heard from MMA.tv that there were over 40,000 in attendance (tape delayed a day for US) and an attendance record at the Saitama Super Arena.

truewrestler
08-10-2003, 12:25 PM
I think the pre-show at 8:30 might be free.... and the PPV then starts at 9.

FatherDog
08-10-2003, 11:09 PM
This was a really excellent show. Liddel looked way sloppier than I've ever seen him; he'd better improve before November. I love Sak, but he's got to take some striking lessons and not stick his chin out all the time. CroCop is a god**** machine. A machine designed to break things into smaller things. Ricco would've won if this was the UFC. But ****, what was up with his gut?

...I should probably have drunk less rum tonight.

Stranger
08-11-2003, 04:08 AM
results????:confused:

Suntzu
08-11-2003, 06:11 AM
:( Nooooooo.... don't post the results... i haven't seen it yet... when is the replay???...

truewrestler
08-11-2003, 06:17 AM
Who is your PPV provider?

iNDemand: http://www.indemand.com/moviesandevents/viewProductShowtimes.jsp?page_sectionId=2&prodId=10381

DirectTV: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/SearchDetailAction.do?current=ProgramSearchbyTitle&program_id=1010000024&program_title=Pride+Fighting%3A+Total+Elimination-REPLAY&event_code=E116002526&time_zone=est&start_date_time=200308112000&end_date_time=200308122000

Shaolin-Do
08-11-2003, 07:09 AM
"CroCop is a god**** machine. A machine designed to break things into smaller things. "

lofl....

Wanderleigh gave a beatiful 1,2 ...
Ah.... Excellent fights. Thx for the warning TW. Glad I caught it. :)

(cable guy was 2 hours late for modem installation, got a free 30$ voucher... got to watch pride for free. :) )

truewrestler
08-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Looks like Cung Le is fighting...

http://www.k-1usa.net/docs/events/results.asp?event_id=14

fa_jing
08-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by FatherDog

...I should probably have drunk less rum tonight.

I too, drank rum this weekend, just a couple shot's worth each on Saturday and Sunday. No side effects. Barbados rum, expensive, smooth.

Shaolin-Do
08-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Thats this friday, right?

truewrestler
08-11-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
Thats this friday, right? Yeah... and I found another reason to watch -- hehe

http://www.k-1usa.net/docs/news/news.asp?news_id=30427

Shaolin-Do
08-11-2003, 11:14 AM
Hehehe...
Maybe a titty will pop out or the like... :)

I drank cheap vodka and crappy beer this weekend. Yelled at the toilet. Will not drink cheap alcohol for a while.
:D

truewrestler
08-11-2003, 12:43 PM
haha, I haven't decided yet on whether I'm going to order... I have never ordered a kickboxing or boxing show.... only like a dozen or two MMA shows :)

truewrestler
08-11-2003, 12:44 PM
....actually, just remembered I will be out of town Friday and this weekend

Shaolin-Do
08-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Gotta say, as sloppy as it got at points, I really enjoyed watching the fights last night.

truewrestler
08-11-2003, 01:30 PM
I'm really glad to hear that!

...would that make you an MMA fan? :D

truewrestler
08-11-2003, 01:34 PM
http://a1140000.futurism.ws/susumu/susumu_result.php?event_id=103

Stranger
08-11-2003, 02:19 PM
Come on, nobody willing to write up a more detailed blow by blow account.

Just title the post "SPOILER" and Sun Tzu should have enough sense to not read it.

FatherDog
08-11-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Stranger
Come on, nobody willing to write up a more detailed blow by blow account.

Just title the post "SPOILER" and Sun Tzu should have enough sense to not read it.

SPOILER! DO NOT LOOK IF YOU ARE SUN TZU!

Fedor vs. Goodridge

Fedor pounds Big Daddy into the ropes. Goodridge covers up, looks like he's trying to play rope-a-dope. Fedor knocks him down with a knee, lands in his guard, pounds his way out of it, soccer kicks him twice and bashes him into the fetal position at 1:09.

Liddel vs. Overeem

Overeem came out with knees, and bashed Liddel up pretty well. Liddel seemed to have some trouble getting inside on him, and was throwing very sloppy hooks while Overeem came up the middle and clinched him. It went to the ground for a bit, Liddel got double underhooks on Overeem and threw some knees without much effect (Overeem blocked with his arms. They got to their feet and traded a bit, with Overeem visibly tiring. As his hands dropped a bit, Liddel came in with a sweet overhand right that absolutely clocked him. Chuck followed it up as Overeem staggered into the ropes, and ended the flurry with a right hook to the jaw that floored him.

Ricco vs. Minotauro

Went three rounds. Ricco starts things off with one of the stupidest looking flying punches I've ever seen. Minotauro slips it and takes Ricco down with a beautiful lateral toss. Ricco reverses and winds up in Minotauro's guard. He throws some punches, Minotauro nullifies most of them with a wrist grip, and goes for the armbar and triangle several times. Ricco escapes each time. The action gets back to the feet and they trade a bit; Minotauro shows better punches standing. Ricco gets several nice takedowns on Nog, but always lands in the guard, where he stays punching at Nog. Minotauro goes through several more sub attempts, all of which Ricco gets out of. It goes to the decision, and Minotauro wins unanimously, to Ricco's consternation. Not ruling out some shady officiating there, but a strong factor had to have been that Minotauro was continually making attempts at finishing the fight, whereas Ricco's punches were having little effect and he never tried any submissions or to improve his position significantly. Also, he outweighed Minotauro by >10kg, which factors in judging also.

Rampage Jackson vs. Bustamante

Bustamante came into the fight with 5 days notice, so this is a pretty impressive showing. Jackson slams him off the bat and does some punching from the guard. Bustamante goes for the arm-bar, and holds onto Jackson's leg to keep from being slammed. Jackson spins out of the arm-bar. Bustamante tries to turn it into a triangle, but has to let go of the leg to do so, and Jackson slams him out of the attempt. They get stood up, and Bustamante tries to pull guard on Jackson; Jackson walks with him into the corner, punches him, then picks him up and walks across the ring to his own corner so he can hear his trainers while he's punching! That gets stood up again; Jackson doesn't seem to want to stay in Bustamante's guard. They trade back and forth standing up; Jackson has good boxing skills (though he needs to start putting together more than two punches in combination) Murillo looks a bit worse, as he's got his elbows flared and center open for most of the match. He does work the jab well, though, keeping distance on Jackson. He goes for a standing guillotine that Jackson muscles out of, and gets a sweet inside trip on Jackson in the second round. Jackson keeps standing up, though, and absolutely pounds on Murillo with leg kicks. Jackson wins by decision, and hugs Murillo afterwards; the two seemed genuinely friendly.

Tamura vs. Yoshida

Yoshida has crap for striking skills. It's sad to watch. He comes out in the gi. Tamura peppers him with punches and repeated kicks to the inside calf. He gets two throws on Tamura; on the first one he tries to hold onto a side headlock and gets pushed out of it. He winds up in Tamura's guard after the second one, and pulls a sleeve choke on Tamura that taps him out. Yoshida couldn't walk after the match, and had to have his knee scoped out as a result of Tamura's leg kicks.

Cro Cop vs. Igor Vovchanchyn

Igor comes out cautiously, using his kick in lieu of a jab. He warms up and takes it to Cro Cop a bit, landing a few hooks to the body, but missing a lot as Cro Cop moves evasively. Unfortunately, about midway through the round he drops his right hand slightly, and Cro-Cop roundhouses him directly in the side of the head, right between the jaw and the ear. Igor drops like a stone. Cro Cop wins by knockout.

Sakuraba vs. Vanderlei

Sak comes right out with punches, trades with Vanderlei, and skips back. The two trade knees. Sak is in almost a wrestling stance; he's leaned way forward with his chin up. He makes repeated feints at a takedown; every time Vanderlei is sprawling back like a shot. Mid-round, Silva comes right up the middle with a hook that brushes over Sak's head, and a right cross that topples him like a tree; Sak's hands drop straight to his sides and he falls backwards like he's taking the Nestea plunge.

Sak seems okay once he's revived by the medics. He and Silva talk, although I couldn't make anything out.

I hear Silva's set to fight Yoshida in the second round. If that's true, he's my pick to win; he'll breeze through Yoshida like he isn't there, and be fresh for the winner of Liddel/Rampage.

Mr Punch
08-12-2003, 07:47 AM
Cheers Dawg, didn't actually get to see this one, but nice description...