PDA

View Full Version : Max Strength & Endurance Q

stubbs
08-09-2003, 07:51 AM
One of my goals is to develope high intensity strength endurance. What you some of you guys with the know how think of this:

5 min warm-up & stretch

30-45 mins cardio. high intensity, including pushups, situps, pullups, bw squats and cycling

followed by

3 reps x 3 sets, 80-90% max strength, mainly compound movements - squats, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press, dumbell rows, bicep curl.

10 min cool-down & stretch

from a martial arts point of view, for training in class, i want to be able to practice for a long time and still hit hard after an hours training. do you reckon this would help me?

cheers,
stubbs
________
Brunette Xxx (http://www.****tube.com/categories/15/brunette/videos/1)

fa_jing
08-09-2003, 05:31 PM
I have had success with combining all of those into one. Strength/endurance, cardio, and just strength. Do your strength exercises in a circuit, keep moving from one exercise to another with short rest periods. Every so often between a set, do jumping jacks, bodyweight exercises, or jump rope. Basically everything that you are doing, do it all together. Move from one set of muscles to another so your muscles don't get so tired that you have to stop, while keeping your heartrate up with calisthenics or the next exercise. Think about 30- 45 seconds rest between each exercise. And as Pavel says, "Enjoy the pain!"

Edit: range such training sessions between 20 and 40 minutes, total.

Universal Stance
08-12-2003, 07:41 AM
How often do you plan to do this regime per week?

Ford Prefect
08-12-2003, 07:54 AM
Not bad. I'd recommend putting the lifting before the BWE and aerobic work or at least alternating which one goes first. I'd also try to limit it to 2-3 weighted workouts per week.

stubbs
08-12-2003, 12:49 PM
i plan to do it 3 times a week, although i don't think i'll start it just yet, i'll wait until this heatwave passes, i burn out way too quick in the heat and my gym doesn't have air con.

i think i'll alternate between which goes first as ford says. do you think i should do this on a session basis or a weekly basis?
________
ULTIMATE FIGHTER (http://ultimatefighters.org/)

Universal Stance
08-12-2003, 05:52 PM
Personal I think that regiment will be a little rough.

I would go all out on cardio and weights on separate days and only once per week. The other days bring the intensity down to 60%.

Sample program:
Mon - Sat = MA Training
Mon, Wed, Fri = weights (Fri is your 85%+ intensity day)
Tue, Thur, Sat = cardio (each day is your 85%+ intensity day)
Sun = rest from everything except maybe meditation and stretching.

If I had only 3 days then I'd:

Separate one workout into 2 on a given day with several hours in between ( I use at least 6 hrs).

or

Only do 85%+ intensity only one day per week. 60% on the others.

Actually, I always only go 85%+ once a week when weights are involved. Going 85%+ weights with cardio and MA training on the same day each day is going to cause overtraining and impede results. Trust me I know. Learn from my mistakes.

But that's just my opinion...
To my credit I have studied both MA and Bodybuilding (for MA not size).

Ford Prefect
08-13-2003, 07:08 AM
Stubbs,

Do it as you please. A good thing about lifting the wieghts first is that the bwe and aerobic work would beneift from the depeleted glycogen stores that the heavy lifting will bring about. However, it's also good to be fresh for the BWE and aerobic work occosionally to really test your limits while you are fresh.

blooming lotus
08-13-2003, 08:53 AM
Im wondering how often you stretch throughtout the day beacause if you are planning on adding weights to your routine I sincerely feel that that additional bulk will potentially comprimise your flexiblity and as a bi product, your agililty so if your practicing for ma purposes I recommend adding something like pilates unless you can already articulate your vertibrae fairly easliy and create pocketys of space between your joints. I have been traing for many years and went through a period of increased weights myself and while I was also doing several hours of cardio daily my endurance and strength was nowhere near was it is noqw compared to during that period although that could just be due to qi qong. If you havent already, check it out. cheers :)

Ford Prefect
08-13-2003, 09:52 AM
blooming lotus,

3 x 3 will not add any bulk...

blooming lotus
08-14-2003, 06:18 AM
sorry guy, but if I did all that 3x a week I would definately gain bulk but I suppose my focus is flexiblity and strength . As far as endurance goes though I guess qi takes care of that. But whatever works ha.

Ford Prefect
08-14-2003, 06:48 AM
sorry guy, 3 x 3 done 3x week will gain you minimal to no bulk at all. especially if you don't have your diet geared towards gaining mass.

blooming lotus
08-14-2003, 08:49 AM
you need the win - have it - I dont care

Suntzu
08-14-2003, 09:08 AM
As far as endurance goes though I guess qi takes care of that. :D

Ford has raped the correct with that strap-on thingy from 7even...

Ford Prefect
08-14-2003, 10:19 AM
The correct would be in some major pain!

stubbs
08-14-2003, 11:06 AM
im gonna give it a go.

blooming lotus, 3x3 (providing the weight is heavy i.e. 80-95% one rep max) will add minimal bulk but will aid in gaining maximum muscle fibre recruitment.

im going to do this routine 3x a week, alternating which goes first between bw and weights on a weekly basis.

i'll also be doing kung fu/cardio once or twice a week in addition.

i'll start in september me thinks, and note down any progress.

only thing i need to plan now is my diet. it's fairly healthy(ish) but its a bit spontaineus. hhmmm....

cheers for all your views and advice guys.

stubbs
________
Milf ****ing (http://www.****tube.com/categories/774/****ing/videos/1)

SevenStar
08-14-2003, 01:07 PM
*takes back the strap on thingy so that he too may rape the correct, but lubes it with the ky he got from suntzu*

Even if he did gain bulk (which he won't do doing 3x3), he'd have to be hyooooge before it had any serious ill effects on his flexibility. Of course he needs to stretch - whether you are big or small, flexibility will be compromised if you don't stretch. But gaining bulk alone will not do it unless it's a REALLY significant amount of bulk.

fa_jing
08-14-2003, 03:40 PM
Well, it is worth mentioning that you need to do exercises that take you through your full range of motion, otherwise you may indeed get stiffer. Also, I think that training to failure alot, like bodybuilders do, might foreshorten your muscles. Don't train to failure, just stop 1-2 reps before, wait, and do another set.