PDA

View Full Version : Forms Demos

Shaolin-Do
08-09-2003, 09:06 AM
Any of you do demonstrations ever?

I produce music, its good for forms. If you want to check out some music, (most is still *in the works*) give me your email addy.

(just tryin to keep it from gettin deleted as OT) :)
(need some critiques, kinda hittin a block)
Thx,
SD

chen zhen
08-09-2003, 09:14 AM
What kind of music is it?

Shaolin-Do
08-09-2003, 09:17 AM
Downtempo, hip hop, break beats, couple of jungle songs I made a while ago...
:)

chen zhen
08-09-2003, 09:55 AM
Would be cool to listen to.;)
Should I give u my e-mail adress then?

Shaolin-Do
08-09-2003, 11:08 AM
sure
4 songs I have right now in their infancy.. Kinda stuck on where to go...

chen zhen
08-09-2003, 11:43 AM
If u have msn messenger, u could send it through
nikolaj_6@msn.com

Would be glad to give u feedback on it.:)
What format is it in, btw? Pretty important, actually.lol;)

Shaolin-Do
08-09-2003, 05:32 PM
I convert them to mp3s before I send em out :)

mortal
08-09-2003, 09:10 PM
I love jungle do you have a sample?

norther practitioner
08-11-2003, 08:40 AM
As a junglist and bonafide hip-hop head... I'll take a listen. Check PM for email addy....

Shaolin-Do
08-11-2003, 08:53 AM
Home computer is focked :(
Hopefully tomorrow be back running. Keeping the email addys, will send out songs when comp is back.
I will probably just zip 7 or 8 songs in 1 file and send the whole pack.

NP- wheres good place to meet broads in denver? Homeboy is gettin kinda bored up there, bein just him and his dog and all...

norther practitioner
08-11-2003, 09:06 AM
What type of wimmins...
"downtown" crowd.. anywhere downtown.... purple martini, blue 67, or the other "downtown" crowd... Lodo's, Soiled Dove... etc.

Cool local bars in Washington Park area... Ogden, HandleBar and Grill, Wash. Park grill...

Capital Hill area... Snake Pit for Jungle on Thurs... Park tavern, etc...

Depends on what you are looking for.:D

Shaolin-Do
08-11-2003, 09:15 AM
Younger crowd (college)
I saw downtown... mm..... downtown denver..... *homer drooling sound*

norther practitioner
08-11-2003, 09:19 AM
DU area too, but I'd have to worn him, it got voted ugliest campus by Playboy....lol, however there are a few cuties to be found....

Denver is a college aged place... there are a lot of recent transplants, everywhere is filled with the 21-30 crowd that I mentioned.. the younger crowds would be at the 18+ clubs in downtown...

Shaolin-Do
08-11-2003, 09:29 AM
From what I hear, boulder is the place to be :)
Probably going to move up there in 6 mos or so to finish community college, then to Cali for music school :)
I really liked it when I came to visit...
Oh yeah, hes going to start at one of the jeet kun do gyms, but still wants to train with some long fist if your down...
Your peeps down this way yet?

norther practitioner
08-11-2003, 10:14 AM
From what I hear, boulder is the place to be

Um... ok, you'd better check your sources.. lol, I like Boulder for the most part (proximity to the mountains, city, biking, etc), for some reason I'd think you'd like it... I'm more of a Denverite, and I dislike the politics of the super liberal weenies that run Boulder.. on that note, I work in a government setting, and my office is in Boulder.

Your peeps down this way yet?

One still is... one just moved back, hated it....

Shaolin-Do
08-11-2003, 10:17 AM
lofl... Too hot for em?

Well, if your homeboy wants to train, im game.

Edit: Hear Boulder is the place cause of U of C.

norther practitioner
08-11-2003, 11:15 AM
Thats one of the things I like about it.... CU Boulder is a... ermm nice looking campus.:D

Shaolin-Do
08-11-2003, 11:18 AM
Its a nice lookin city from what I saw... but then again, so is denver.
Denver was surprisingly small... as was Boulder... San Antonio dwarfs both of them in terms of square footage... Even the southside of denver seemed really relaxed. Is there not a bad side or what??
Edit: people up there seemed estranged by my making eye contact... intent is in the eyes, and Im strongly in the habit of "mugging people down", Looking deep in their eyes to see their intent. People up there seemed to be very uncomfortable by it... but I guess its better than all the belligerant f*cks here who want to fight when you look at them.

norther practitioner
08-11-2003, 11:47 AM
I don't find that the case at all (about the eyes)... but whatever...

boulder is a small city by definition, and the city will keep it that way...

Denver has a bit over half a million in the city proper... however we have over 2.5 within the metro area (product of urban sprawl)..

I think San Antonio is about 1.5-1.6 mil...
You prob. only got a small taste of what is the Denver metro.. it goes from Golden to Aurora (W to E), then from Castle Rock to Longmont (S to N).. which includes Boulder, Broomfield, Parker, etc. I think area wise Denver is about 2.5 times the size....

As far as bad areas, 5 points is about it, while I'd say it is not too bad compared to other cities "bad" areas....

Shaolin-Do
08-11-2003, 11:51 AM
Not talking sh!t bout people not looking me in the eyes, just how I found it to be.
In all honesty, i liked it better there than I do here. Completely different vibe and pace of life... Seems a lot more laid back. Probably cause people arent all anal cause of the heat and humidity...

norther practitioner
08-11-2003, 12:03 PM
People are really active here too... biking, hiking, skiing, snowboarding, going out, a lot of shows (music and otherwise) etc.... :D

I was a bit "inimidating" as I didn't look the part of a New Yorker when I moved out here but could conger up the NYC influence easily when ****ed off....lol

Just watch out for the traffic, seems these Texans don't know diddly when there is any sort of weather.:eek:

:D

Shaolin-Do
08-11-2003, 12:41 PM
"People are really active here too... biking, hiking, skiing, snowboarding, going out, a lot of shows (music and otherwise) etc.... "

Yeah, I noticed that, and I liked it a lot. (I live in the fattest city in america... Need I even try to say how little physical activity goes on outdoors?)

"Just watch out for the traffic, seems these Texans don't know diddly when there is any sort of weather"

Couple days ago when it rained, the traffic report was "I dunno, the cars down there are looking about like ants on LSD."

I know. Oh do I Know... You should see it when theres any sort of ice on the roads...

CaptinPickAxe
08-14-2003, 02:20 PM
I'm Shaolin-Do's homeboy from around Denver. I'm interested in learning some Long Fist. I decided to postpone taking JKD untill I find out the rap on the instructor. I'm interested in Pai Lum and Shaolin Temple Boxing, but I need to find work so I can pay for the classes.

norther practitioner
08-14-2003, 02:23 PM
Welcome to the Denver metro Captin...
Well come on down some time and check out a class. What type of job are you looking for? The school's addy is 1432 S. Broadway (in the Wash park area/antique row). I'll be there tonight for a little while (6:30-8:00) or come down Sat. morning/early afternoon.

CaptinPickAxe
08-14-2003, 02:28 PM
I need any job. I'll probably make it there saturday morning, tonights bowling night with the moms. 'bout what time you lookin' at? and also what should I expect?

norther practitioner
08-14-2003, 02:38 PM
I need any job.
Retail?
Manual Labor?
Office?
Are you trained in anything?

norther practitioner
08-14-2003, 02:39 PM
Come down around 11...
Where some sweatpants and a T..
Expect to see forms, aps and chin na...

CaptinPickAxe
08-14-2003, 03:14 PM
I know how to operate windows 98!!! I know its a little dated. I'm really not looking for manual labor, I used to do landscaping back in San Antonio. I quit because of heat exhaustion, but besides that I'm willing to work anywheres.

CaptinPickAxe
08-14-2003, 03:17 PM
about how long will the lesson be.

norther practitioner
08-14-2003, 03:17 PM
You ever wait tables or anything, the other suggestion was aerating lawns for chemlawn....
There is some decent retail to be had too.

where I found my job (http://postnewsads.com/jobs/)

CaptinPickAxe
08-14-2003, 04:16 PM
Have you heard of 'Way of The Crane' in Boulder?
I was excited about it because I thought it was a school specializing in White Crane. Yesterday, I open up the phone book to give the school a call and find the most disapointing word after the name. Karate-Do. How can you use crane in the same sentence as Karate (unless you speak of Karate Kid). I heard Karate is loosely based on crane, is this true?
In contrast, My old Sifu in SD told me karate came from the 1st 10 katas.
have I been fed a steaming load?

norther practitioner
08-15-2003, 11:51 AM
have I been fed a steaming load
I have no idea... don't know Karate history.

The Shaolin Hung Mei Pai school is the only kung fu school in Boulder that I know of.

Golden Arms
08-15-2003, 11:53 AM
From what I understand, a lot of karate has strong similarities or may have been based off of white crane.

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 11:54 AM
about how far is your kwoon from lakewood, np?

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 11:54 AM
"have I been fed a steaming load"

Not only a steaming load, but a heaping steaming load.

One could say that karate was loosely based on our short katas, but not derived directly from. Keep in mind that GM Sin also knows 900 forms...
:rolleyes:

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 11:56 AM
keep in mind the integrity of SD.
have you been fed the proverbial "heaping load" too?

MasterKiller
08-15-2003, 11:57 AM
Are you guys suggesting that Karate comes from Shaolin-Do?

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 12:01 PM
thats the steaming load we've been fed.
maybe not SD, but Shaolin Kung Fu all together.
then again, not much hasn't been derived from Shaolin.

norther practitioner
08-15-2003, 12:02 PM
Where in Lakewood?

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 12:04 PM
alameda & wadsworth

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 12:06 PM
Wadsworth... hehehe...
sounds kinda dirty.

I dont take too much of what they say in regards to history too seriously... look for that info on my own.

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 12:09 PM
please keep in mind,
"GM Sin knows over 3000 forms, but only teaches out 950.
He wants the upper hand."

"GM Sin could kick the corner of a stone pillar full force and
not break his shin"

"SM Mullens is known for his precision when it comes to forms."

norther practitioner
08-15-2003, 12:09 PM
Word... I used to live on Wads...
Take either 6th or Alameda to Broadway (ten to twelve minutes)
go south to Arkansas. We are half way between Arkansas and Florida.

Judge Pen
08-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
please keep in mind,
"GM Sin knows over 3000 forms, but only teaches out 950.
He wants the upper hand."

"GM Sin could kick the corner of a stone pillar full force and
not break his shin"

"SM Mullens is known for his precision when it comes to forms."

I'll agree that two out of three of these statements are bunk, but SM Mullins is known for precision when it comes to his forms. I can personally attest to that.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 12:17 PM
Thanx much, JP

I have a video of Mullens doing Crane 14&15, and to say the least my 72 year old grand father could of been more graceful.
Granted, he may of had a bad day, but his performance was....
lackluster doesn't even describe it.

MasterKiller
08-15-2003, 12:18 PM
from CPA's sig"If you tighten the string too much it will break, if too loose it will not play"
Someone has been watching "Little Buddha.";)

FWIW, Guatama himself never said this--he overheard another man's conversation about stringing a musical instrument, which led him to the concept of the Middle Path.

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 12:19 PM
hehehe.... Bring that down here when you make the trip back plz, forgotten most of 15th, 14th gettin hazy.
wtf you doin on the weekends?

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 12:21 PM
not much for keanu, but a hell of a saying.

Same thing I do everyday,SD.
TRY AND TAKE OVER THE WORLD.
nah, just weight training, climbing moutains, and long boarding (well trying to at least. these hills are F*ck*in' Insane)

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 12:23 PM
Eh, some of the neighborhoods seemed ok for longboarding... Will bring the mountain board back up later, but by the time I make it back up that way it will be snowing :D
Snow bunnies.... mmmmmmmm...........
How goes establishing of the... err... "empire"?

Judge Pen
08-15-2003, 12:23 PM
Thanx much, JP

I have a video of Mullens doing Crane 14&15, and to say the least my 72 year old grand father could of been more graceful.
Granted, he may of had a bad day, but his performance was....
lackluster doesn't even describe it.

I haven't seen that video, but I have heard Master Mullins was off that day (SD told me that in a PM). I realize it's a bit out of your way, but you should come up for the Masters' tournament.

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 12:25 PM
it must have been a streak, 1 year apart between 14&15.

not much of an empire yet, more like an establishment.
there are some yummie asians hur in the aptmts.

I'd like that very much, i'm interesed in seeing what the masters can do. I'm tired of being skeptical, but haven't seen evidence to make me see diff.

Judge Pen
08-15-2003, 12:27 PM
Is it just me or do CPA and SD appear to be soul-mates? :)

MasterKiller
08-15-2003, 12:28 PM
My sifu has bad knees, but you can still see that he has a great grasp of movement and power generation when he does forms. How "off" does your day have to be to go from being hearlded for forms precision to looking worse than someone's 70-year-old grandpa?

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 12:30 PM
In that context MK, I think its OFF, not "off".

Nah JP, just homeboy turned sissified northerner
:eek:

Edit: asians in apts eh?
mmmmmmmmm....................................

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 12:31 PM
if you saw the video, you'd be stunned.
ask SD, its awful. he lacks form, balance, and when he does the roll in 14 i couldn't help but be dissapointed.
Its not just his foot work either, his hands......god, his hands.

Judge Pen
08-15-2003, 12:32 PM
Apparently pretty off, but I havent' seen the vid, so I don't know how accurate they are in their observations. I can only speak of my experience with the man, and I have a great deal of respect for him as a martial artist.

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 12:33 PM
just homeboy turned sissified northerner

i can still drink your pansy-a$$ under the table, son.

Judge Pen
08-15-2003, 12:34 PM
SD,

Isn't he down in Texas right now? How does he compare in person versus this tape in question?

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 12:34 PM
It wasnt beatiful to say the least, but I dont know who reads these forums and dont want to get myself into trouble....

Wait a minute... Ive already said just about anything that would do so. Yeah, the vids pretty cr@p.

" can still drink your pansy-a$$ under the table, son"

Sheeeot...... Havent done that yet. :eek: Bring down $$ for some goose and thatll be a bet focker...

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 12:36 PM
I went to the 15 seminar.
I'm in the video.
I must have been winded (or just a yellow belt), because I didn't notice it then.
I'll give it to him, the man is frightfully quick, but when i saw the video, i was disappointed to say the least.

Judge Pen
08-15-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
It wasnt beatiful to say the least, but I dont know who reads these forums and dont want to get myself into trouble....

Wait a minute... Ive already said just about anything that would do so. Yeah, the vids pretty cr@p.

Well, SD I appreciate that you PM'd me with your observations before airing dirty laundry in public.

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 12:38 PM
we'll go shot for shot, and then I'll give you a ride to the hospital when you get alcohol poisoning.

I've laughed at you while you vomit. who hasn't drank who under the table.

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 12:38 PM
Dunno if that was sarcasm, but no problem. :)

They arent quite as aweful as Pickaxe said, but they arent as good as they *should* be...

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 12:39 PM
Edit: Im not going to outright lie and say they were good, or beautiful, because they were not.

"I've laughed at you while you vomit. who hasn't drank who under the table"

And I have pictures of you puking. Its a 2 sided sword my friend...

norther practitioner
08-15-2003, 12:40 PM
CPA..
If you look due west from your place (in between Mt. Morison and Lookout Mt.), you'll see the house we're chillin' at tonight.:D

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 12:40 PM
i'm not saying SD isn't a good MA, hell I enjoyed it very much.
but, i do say there are some "Big Fish" stories that I've seen first hand.

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 12:41 PM
In whatever kwoon I open one day across the back wall will say in big bold letters
"A true teacher knocks down the idol his students make of him."

:rolleyes:

Judge Pen
08-15-2003, 12:41 PM
I probably put a harder edge on that then I intended, but I was sincere in that I appreciate that you came to me in private with a legitimate criticism. . . so I ment no ill will toward you.

Judge Pen
08-15-2003, 12:42 PM
i'm not saying SD isn't a good MA, hell I enjoyed it very much.
but, i do say there are some "Big Fish" stories that I've seen first hand.

I'll agree with that; some big fish stories that I don't swallow either.

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 12:48 PM
i might be able to see the place, but the foot of the hill is blocked my trees.

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 12:49 PM
I can see a pool full of screaming rat b@stards out my window... :(

Got new tires on the jeep... new suspension too. :)

JP, check your pm's.

norther practitioner
08-15-2003, 12:51 PM
Look closer to the top of the hill my friend.. actually it is on the very top....lol, dope house right across the valley from Lookout Mt.

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 12:52 PM
any new additions to the gym, SD?

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 12:53 PM
nice place

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 12:54 PM
"dope house"
Oh yeah? :D

But really, you mean the really funny shaped oval kinda one? I got a picture of it... On the left on top of the hill leaving town...

CPA, only a redwood bo staff and some new iron leg stuff...

Judge Pen
08-15-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do

JP, check your pm's.

Right back at you SD.

norther practitioner
08-15-2003, 12:56 PM
No, not that one, but only about two miles from there as the crow flies.:D
We call that the Jetson house.

MasterKiller
08-15-2003, 12:56 PM
You two quit flirting.

norther practitioner
08-15-2003, 01:00 PM
:confused:

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 01:01 PM
MK just woke up from a nap and is confusing reality with his nasty little dream land....

Back at work this week MK? Been postin quite a bit more since the snot thrower came about. :)

MasterKiller
08-15-2003, 01:02 PM
I meant JP and SD. They keep passing notes back and forth.

Yeah, today is my first full day back at work. I'm sleepy as hell, though, I have to run the kwoon tonight because Sifu is out, and I'm gonna miss the first quarter of the Browns pre-season game tonight. :mad:

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 01:04 PM
jetson's house....never thought of that but explains it perfectly.

SD, what did you get for Iron Leg?

norther practitioner
08-15-2003, 01:05 PM
Well not to spoil it for you MK, but they'll be losing when you get to start watching.
Oh, I see...lol..

MasterKiller
08-15-2003, 01:13 PM
I don't put a lot of stock in pre-season wins/losses. I'm more interested in seeing how well Kelly Holcomb does as the starting QB tonight as compared to Tim Couch's poor performance last week.

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 01:14 PM
any new tracks SD?
I can't make any music right now, i need to "register" my programs.
god, how I hate Piracy.

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 01:17 PM
Eh? Hate piracy? Get zonealarm, and registration generators. Dont let the programs tell the parent company you stole it.

No new tracks, no computer yet. Im at work right now.

Oh... MK you funny guy...
:o

Fock the browns game, K1 fighting tonight. K1 fighting and beer. Lots of beer. And fighting. Then camping. Good manly night.

MasterKiller
08-15-2003, 01:25 PM
Well, have fun being manly. Don't take too many "shots" in your mouth from the other Robert Bly wanna-be's you'll be "camping" with.

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 01:27 PM
Thinkin outloud bout your highschool days again mk?

Goin campin with beeotches. May not wind up goin tho, K1 wont be over till 11, Ill be half drunk and its a 2 hour drive to the river everyones campin at, and its supposed to rain. If good things happen in town, I drink beer and liquor and watch fights, then go to parties in town.

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 01:29 PM
victor gettin' a keg and your going w/ bren right?

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 01:31 PM
Nope. Havent talked to that broad in a while.

Thinks Ima get a bottle, get stupid drunk, and see how far I can get before driving into someone elses lawn. Mando and chris want to watch the fights too, chris knows some stupid beeotches to get to mandos if the river isnt well....

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 01:35 PM
tell those punx i said whats up, and why in sam hill haven't they called me.
too busy being alcoholic texans?
have ya'll developed your majestic beer bellies yet?