PDA

View Full Version : Aight, what would you have done?

Sharky
05-01-2001, 07:53 PM
I was in the library workin for my final years in college, and there are these guys makin a bit of noise next to me.

There were like 4 black dudes generally bein racist bout other races n stuff, but i was fine just doin my work. I got up to say something to this dude i know and 1 min later when i got back someone was sittin in my seat so i say (quote) "can i sit down mate?" and he goes "oh yeah sorry" and i go "cheers"

But he forgot to act hard, and so goes, "You coulda asked nicely" and his mates thought it was funny and i thought he was messin around, so i laughed too, and his mates were like "he's laughin at u!" and i laughed more, thought it was just a big joke and then forgot bout it

Then, walkin home, him n 5 of his mates were behind me, and i had my walkman on, so couldn't hear much. What i could though, was someone behind me sayin some stuff, shoutin, but didn't pay much attention to it, didn't think it was to me.

But then he keeps goin "oi" n cussin n stuffs so i finally hear him n take the headphones off my head, and didn't recognise him cos a) he was now wearin a hat, and b) cos i never actually looked at him in the 1st place, i was just doin some work.

Anyways after I go "who the f*ck are you" and then remember, he just starts talkin crap bout how I should respect him, and just general fighti talk. He had scrunched up plastic bags in his hands, with something in the bags, and his mate took them off him so his hands were free, so i knew something was gonaa happen, at least that he had fighting in mind. He was standing really close to me - head butting/kneeing in the nads distance from me.

He then had his hands just above his belly, and sort of half pushed/half hit me in the top of the stomach, no harder than u would, say knock on a door. Obviously it didn't hurt, my abs are strong but it wouldn't ahve hurt anyone. I was just like "you need to learn some ****in respect, not me". Anyways, in the end, when he did sorta hit me i was like "just chill out man". And we went our separate ways.

What would you have done?

I found it hard to forget, it only happened to day tho, but i was SO mad when i had walked for 2 mins on. I still am mad. Thing is he has LOOOOOADS of mates, who could backed him up etc, let alone the 5 or 6 behind him. I don't realy have any mates anymore at that college - i only have 2 months there left, and i've stopped hanging around with my so called friends, who wouldn't have helped anyways.

This is a bit wierd for me - i'm not the kinda person who gets started on, i dunno, the way i dress, the way i present my self.... i dunno im not saying anyone would fear me or any crap like that, but maybe it's just I DUNNO!

I am basically saying that i am annoyed that he thinks that i look like the kind of person he can treat like ****. Should i have done anything? Would you have? It's hard to say, obviously, cos you weren't there, but it's made me REALLY mad, i felt like going back with a bloody baseball bat and teaching HIM some respect. But i gotta goto college everyday and run teh risk of seeing him n his crew, and thats why i didn't do anything - i think???

Edd

Kung Lek
05-01-2001, 08:09 PM
Sharky-

these things happen and people get an overinflated view of themselves for whatever reasons.

It is even moreso evident when there is a group of spectators. Some people are terribly insecure and easily led by the urgings of their compatriots and to bolster their egos they will pick on others. These people are in general pretty weak minded and you probably handled the situation well by just blowing it off and not letting it turn into something that could have been worse, for both of you.

You don't even know the person so you do not owe him any respects. Respect is earned not given freely.

Obversely, he does not owe you any respect either.
in the end, it is just one of those events that happens to each of us every once in a while that has no meaning in the grand scheme of things.

anyway, peace

Kung Lek

Ryu
05-01-2001, 08:50 PM
Offer my apologies while keeping my distance, but would probably keep an "unafraid" smile on my face. (though who knows maybe I would be afraid? ;) )
I wouldn't let him punch me though...and that might just be a big ego on my part :( Probably is...
If he's in headbutt distance I'd do just that. But with 5 guys around...I don't know.

Ryu

http://judoinfo.com/images/kimura1.gif

judo legend, Masahiko Kimura

lordabu
05-01-2001, 09:14 PM
sharky - even if you didnt state you were from england i would have recognized that you were - from the slang you are using.... YUCK i HATE the accents associated with that slang....typically pike...

lol no offence though....im sure you'd find something for me...

Lordabu

Sharky
05-01-2001, 09:26 PM
i wouldn't call it a punch man, just more of a.... shove.. that's the word. but a very light one at that.

but it _could_ have been a punch. do u see my wearyness? i let it get to the stage where he shoved me, and he could have punched me. not being a boxer, i doubt i am good at taking punches (just like the rest of the world) and then it could've been game over. y'know?

i let him TOUCH me is my point man. and i feel really angry that i did.... I CANT let it go...

Jade Mountain Eagle
05-01-2001, 09:29 PM
sharky, you did the right thing.

Keeping your cool was the best thing you could have done because these guys just wanted you to do is retaliate so they all have a "reason" to beat the crap out of you. I mean most of us here are martial artists but we all know that when the odds are against you, why risk your life? Yeah sure I would feel the same as you...but I being a practicing Taoist also, find that keep yourself at peace brings out better situations...you did the right thing!

Peace.

ansgenius1
05-01-2001, 10:43 PM
Sharky, being ****ed is understandable but being ****ed now is a lot better than the alternative of you ending up in the hospital. Realistically, do you think you could have taken on 6 or 7 guys. If it were just 2 or 3, then maybe. Things like this happen and you just have to find a way to vent your anger. All part of the martial arts training for self defense and not fighting.

LEGEND
05-01-2001, 10:45 PM
BAD SITUATION...learn some boxing...then trust me...your training will not allow you to be push or touch...

A

Fu-Pow
05-01-2001, 11:00 PM
I don't believe this story...whats with the accent thing...accents are how you pronounce things, not how you spell them...the only way I can "hear" your accent is because you are spelling things in an "accented" way. Standard English is standard English....are you for real? Or do you exist in the world of trolls?

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/logo.gif
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

Sharky
05-01-2001, 11:27 PM
u chattin to me mate?

Matt-le-kat
05-02-2001, 12:04 AM
In the circumstances, i think you did the right thin- although, i'd probably want to keep my distance if i felt that he was going to get violent.(it's easier to see a punch than a knee to the balls).
I think if it was just one on one i'd do something, but then again i also like to think about the repercussions of things.
One of my friends quite recently rode on his bike into another part of town. A load of kids surrounded him so he pulled a knife out. They backed off, but then the next night, they found his house somehow and came round in a big gang and smashed all his front windows in.

I hate townies!!!! Stupid kappa wearing dickheads!!!

Nothing is to be feared, only understood....

Mr. Nemo
05-02-2001, 12:38 AM
Even if it was just him and he didn't have any friends, you still should've kept chill.

If you win a fight, that's rarely the end of it. You've wounded the guys pride, and he's liable to come back with friends or weapons (you yourself were contemplating the baseball bat appraoch).

You handled that pretty well, I'd say. Don't let it eat you up.

Budokan
05-02-2001, 12:58 AM
You did fine. A good MA knows when to walk away and when he has to throw down for war. I know you're mad but forget these punks. They're obviously on the fast track to jail or dying in the back of a dark alley with lots of glass on the ground if they keep up this act. Who cares?

The most important thing is you comported yourself exactly like a good MA should. Kudos to you.

K. Mark Hoover

tsunami surfer
05-02-2001, 02:35 AM
I think you did fine. Just next time do not walk around in public with a walkman on your head. Not only could you not here this gang coming up on you,what if an out of control car came up behind you? Be constantly aware of your environment using ALL of your senses. If you ever see this guy in the library ALONE go sit at the table with him and do'nt say anything/act as though he is'nt there and i'll bet a paycheck he does'nt say anything to you.g

tsunami surfer
05-02-2001, 02:36 AM
I think you did fine. Just next time do not walk around in public with a walkman on your head. Not only could you not here this gang coming up on you,what if an out of control car came up behind you? Be constantly aware of your environment using ALL of yo ur senses. If you ever see this guy in the library ALONE go sit at the table with him and do'nt say anything/act as though he is'nt there and i'll bet a paycheck he does'nt say anything to you.g

Sharky
05-02-2001, 03:49 PM
you're right man, wearing a walkman is stupid, but i love my music so :(

yea i will live without from now on i think... thanks

Chen Wuan
05-02-2001, 04:45 PM
sharky

You handeled it well, keeping your distance would have been better, but live and learn. One thing that you could have done was say that you did not realise you came acrost disrespectful then left. You have two months of school left and you will never see them again. Let it go or it will eat at you and next time you will do something stupid. The only thing hurt was your pride, if you let it keep eating at you, you let him win. If you can let go and move on you have won. It is up to you. ;)

LEGEND
05-02-2001, 04:53 PM
Do this...start carrying a minature baseball bat with you...if they start something...start swinging...usually peeps don't mess with others with potential weapons.

A

lordabu
05-02-2001, 11:31 PM
fu-pow:

if you lived in england, you would understand the kind of slang people use, in different areas. This type of slang is most widely used in suburban london.

people in this area are usually also accustomed to right almost like they speak (i mean we all do), so like i said "i hate accents associated with that slang)...and it IS TYPICALLY PIKE!!

and by the way - unless im living in a different world or do not understand what you mean in this context....what the hell is a troll....do you mean a small slimey creature type troll, or does it have a different meaning here.

Lordabu

Johnny Hot Shot
05-03-2001, 12:37 AM
Hey bud just let it go. It does not matter you are better for not letting it escalate in to something you and he would regret for perhaps a very long time. Now your wasting energy by stewing over it.

Sharky
05-03-2001, 03:11 AM
aight thanks guys yesterday i felt bad about how i handled the situation, but today i feel better.

about the distance issue - i have always thought this - if someone is walking towards u, and is determined to be with x distance of you, and you want to stay away from them, then aren't u basically just gonna be backing off, walking backwards while they're coming at you? apart from this looks like you're ****in your pants with fear is it favourable to be in this position?

heh, i toned down the slang i use to write that by about a million times. didn't even notice i was using any :p

legend my area is pretty mash up so when i walk to the shop i take a maglight with me..... dunno if u were joking or not!

Edd

Weapon-Maker
05-03-2001, 04:19 PM
Sharky,you did the right thing,if you would have busted the dude up,his buddies would have all jumped on ya.
Now the question is : "What do I do the next time?" Next time he disrespects you (and alot of his mates are there too),look at all his friends and ask THEM :"Hey,I wanna settle this little problem man-to-man,if I fight your friend and win,are you dudes gonna all jump me?"
Now,it doesn't matter what they say because your next response is going to be you pummeling the guy who is giving you this unnecessary grief.Just make sure you stay standing,and if his buddies jump in,fight them all,make everything 'count'.(break things,like :noses,jaws,teeth,eye-sockets,knee-caps,fingers etc...).If you end up fighting say 10 people,but only hurt 6 of them before they finally get you,you still did **** good and they will think you are crazy for fighting them,but will respect that and hopefully learn the moral of the story.
These guys aren't stupid enough to kill someone,are they? I mean we are talking about college kids,right? If they are that stupid,just avoid them.Otherwise,show 'em you mean business.

Matt-le-kat
05-03-2001, 05:06 PM
I think fighting more than 1 guy is a bad idea. Not many people can handle a few guys kicking your head in all at once.

Nothing is to be feared, only understood....

Sharky
05-03-2001, 09:34 PM
they are north london goons from harlesden and they basically think it's the bronx or harlem or some isht. they got bare hoods for back up man and blatantly have blades n all sorts of wierd shaped weapons. even tho it's the uk there are parts of london where there are guns man

basically tbh i would do what u said regardless if it happens again. in fact i WANT it to happen again, but thats me bein reckless that's how i am, i hate him so much, cos he thinks he's better than me. if i had taken him, say i was killin them all (not literally) it'd get to the point where basically if at any point they felt they were losing they'd pull the knife. it was in front of the station which reminds me - someone was beaten to death, yes, to death, outside that station by a group of rudes a few months back - at before 9am on a friday morning of all times. some dude was just generally walking along and he bumped into a girl who was walkin with some thugged up, er, thugs and they hit him a few times, he went down, then they kicked him.... lots... there is a police station 30 sseconds run down the road and i don't think anything happened bout it. police are more into pulling my brother over in his car and screamin abuse at him cos he.... didn't do anything wrong? for no reason basically.

to put it buntly before 9am on a friday morn i wouldn't have the energy to beat a drum let alone a person, to death.

doubt anything will become of my little bit of excitement, i saw him today with a mate he didn't see me, he was generally stressing about something or another, he'll get a heart attack if he carries on like this. Shame.

Thanks for you ressurance you've given me, i see i handled not half as bad as i 1st though, every thing looks better after a nights sleep eh?

Edd

Scott
05-03-2001, 11:21 PM
You should have summoned a pack of dingoes to back you up, mate =P

-Scott

"Life is hard, but so am I." -- The Eels.

Sharky
05-03-2001, 11:40 PM
i don't have one :o basically i aint talking to any of my old friends cos... i dunno i just grew apart from them, they were goin no where. they were pussie anyways - they wouldn't have jumped in. once when i asked if they would help me if i was gettin beaten he goes "what's the point in both of us gettin beaten up?"

every time we went to a club and they ****ed some badass off, and he wanted to rip their heads off it was me that got them out of the situation.

eg-once we were at a 'full of attitute' hip hop club, and for a start they were all bricking their pants, they wouldn't wear 'nice' trainers incase they got jacked. anyways my mate spills a whole plastic cup of beer on the floor and it lands near this guy, and probably got some beer on him but it was dark so i dunno. the guy was pretty effing hard and he was with a crew of 23984729837498279482394898 rowdy boyz who looked stupendously hard. the guy starts goin mad and my mate was bricking it and legged it and left me there. i was standin there right at the front anyway - they were too ****ing scared to stand near the front cos of the type of people standing there. but i was there to see the show so i wasn't bloody movin man.

and basically i got him out of the situation by chattin to the dude, and the dude tried going after my ex-mate and i stopped him n sorted it out. afterwards on the way home he brought it up in conversation, and i told him and he didn't even thank me, he was just like "oh right". *******.

what's the point in living if your in fear all the time? this is the smallest of examples, but basically what i am saying is that i ain't got no boyz to back me up man. i finish college in about a month, then i got summer where i'm working full time, then i goto uni if i have done well enough at college, i hope so, i wanna get outa this dump man, like.. yea....

Lates

Edd

( i haven't re red this thru so soz if it makes no sence
)

Sharky
05-03-2001, 11:42 PM
and what u mean by dingoes? are you another one of those yanks that can't tell the difference between somone from the uk and australia?

Badger
05-03-2001, 11:44 PM
web page (http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/001326.html)

Badger

Sharky
05-03-2001, 11:46 PM
that link is broke mate

Badger
05-03-2001, 11:48 PM
Try it again-It just worked for me.

Badger

Sharky
05-03-2001, 11:50 PM
um it's not workin man. www.bladeforums.com (http://www.bladeforums.com) yea? its bein all batty like

Sharky
05-03-2001, 11:52 PM
no such device or address

Badger
05-03-2001, 11:53 PM
batty-like?

Sharky
05-03-2001, 11:54 PM
"it's not working friend"

Edd :D

Badger
05-03-2001, 11:59 PM
sorry man.
I'm still able to get in-maybe you can try later.

Badger

Badger
05-04-2001, 12:05 AM
http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/001326.htmlr

Sharky
05-04-2001, 12:08 AM
nah man that server aint feelin me man. what is it about, can u paste it?

Edd

Badger
05-04-2001, 12:17 AM
Author
Topic: This happened to me...
Colinz

posted 04-08-2001 08:55 PM

This happened to me once.

Met two guys that walked side-by-side and therefore blocked a narrow path on a lawn behind a soccer field. I bumped into
one of the guys (in their 20´s, wellbuilt). He turned around and said “Hey, what the f*ck are you doing?” I stopped and turned
around to see what was up. Immediately one of the guys said “Let me have him!” They both approached me simultaneously
from a distance of 5 meters (about 15 feet, I believe). I thought “Alright, if they want to fight I´m ready”.

This was in the days when I trained Muay Thai and was somewhat good at it. However I had not thought about people
being armed with different kind of weapons. Nice tactical attitude…

I was ready to rumble when I saw that one of the guys was palming an object of some kind. I tried to check it out while I
listened to them trying to decide who was going to jump me first. Great, he was armed with a screwdriver. You all know how
easy it is to punch holes into people with that kind of weapon. My next thought was to start running. I made a move with my
head to see where to run when one of the guys said “If you run it is going to be even worse!”

At this point I should mention that if you ever get caught outside a soccer-field, behind one of the goals you have made
one of the biggest tactical mistakes you can ever make. Those of you that are familiar with soccer may know that behind
the goals there often is a very high fence. It is there to make the lives of the soccerplayers easier by stopping footballs going
too far behind the goal.

Now I got scared. I couldn´t run. One BG was blocking my way of retreating to the left and the other with the scredriwer (still
palming it) blocked my way to the right. Behind me was a maybe 10 feet high fence made out of steel. The only thing I had
on me was my door keys (2pcs) and a plastic bag with some clothes in it (very light). Ah, and through my work as a
prisonguard I have received training in noticing if someone has taken drugs. I saw that these two had taken some kind of
illegal substance.

EDIT: I was on the outside of the soccerfield. No one close enough to properly see or hear what was happening.

What did I do wrong?

What would you have done?

As you noticed I came out of this alive (duh!). I will explain what I did and why later…

/Colinz

[This message has been edited by Colinz (edited 04-09-2001).]

IP: Logged
shadowfax

posted 04-09-2001 12:49 AM

Well, what you did wrong was getting behind the soccer goal. I'd have walked in front of the soccer goal (I'm assuming there
wasn't a game going on since you didn't mention it - - -if there was a game going on i'd have started yelling at the top of my
lungs and gotten a few people's attention). . . Also, you didn't mention any attempt to avoid bumping them -- I do my best to
do that no matter who it is that I'm about to run in to - - it's just polite ;)

As to what I'd have done, hurl the keys as hard as i could into the face of the screwdriver guy. The way you have it set up,
the net is on one side, the fence is on the other, and the guys are in front of you, so after I threw the keys, i'd run away from
'em, if nothing else than to get me out where I have some maneuvering room- - - on the soccer field. Assuming the
screwdriver guy still had his screwdriver I'd worry about him first unless the other guy was in front of him. At that point I'd try
to keep the other guy between me and the screwdriver guy. At that point it'd be a brawl with the other guy, and assuming I
got him taken out I'd try to stopkick the screwdriver guy - -I'm assuming you're talking a normal screwdriver, not one of the
super long ones, in which case your leg is longer than his reach with the screwdriver. A shot to the knee would be called for
here ;)

Of course, I'm never w/o my knife so as soon as i saw the screwdriver out it would come.

Vet95LT1

posted 04-09-2001 03:04 AM

well ya let them corner you, i guess because you werent activly aware of your surroundings, in condition yellow, as it may
be - ya should always at least have a knife and OC, i would have my glock so in a better position than you would be - ya
made it though, so ya obviously did something right.....

Gigante

posted 04-09-2001 03:19 PM

Tell us what you did, Colinz !

------------------
Balisong Sweden

Colinz

posted 04-09-2001 04:59 PM

For those of you that hoped for a real Steven Segal or John Woo kind of ending to this situation will be somewhat
disappointed. I was blocked from running away with no weapons. It was time to put on the “I-am-so-interested-in-*put your
topic of choice here*-face.

I told the guy with the screwdriver what a cool goatee he had and compared it to mine. I looked mostly at his goatee but
once or twice I checked his eyes for signs of relaxation. His narrow eyes widened a little bit. Just so much that I was able to
notice it. I shortly discussed trimming options and asked him a quick question about how long he had worn it that way. He
grunted something. I moved closer to him in a natural non-treathening way with my arms down in front of my groin area but
trying not to show more than my left side (better keep the options open). Guess it threw him a bit off balance. I thought
“great have to keep this conversation going”. Moved the “discussion” to different ways in different warrior cultures how a
beard could look. None of them moved.

By this point I was so close to the guy with the guy with the screwdriver that I could touch his goatee, which I did as a part of
the discussion. The other guy just stood passively somewhat more relaxed and kept an eye on me (yes, I kept him all the
time in the corner of my eye. No tunneling here). Well, after “goatee-contact” I tried to make him talk and he soon started
talking about his sister that had been raped and how angry he was. I symphatizised with him and told that I had no sister but
that I would have been at least as angry as he. We talked about the subject for a while.

He loosened his grip on the screwdriver when he told me about his sisters rape so I changed subject and told him I was in a
real hurry to be in time for a (commuter)train. We said bye to each other and I went to the train station where a friend of
mine was waiting. I made it on time.

What I really did was something I learnt as a prisonguard. They where two and better equipped. They also had taken some
unknown substance which could mean that they couldn´t feel pain. They where not sluggish at all. I had no real weapons,
using my keys as a weapon never entered my mind in this case. They limited my ability to move by blocking me in.

I used what has helped me in prison a number of times. I´ll try to break it down in different steps. First thing I did when I had
done an assessment of the situation was to find out who was the leader. In this case it was the one with the screwdriver.
Second thing was to show I posed no threat whatever would happen. I lowered my hands and started talking with an
interested look (I was still prepared to hit him). The third thing was to get a response from this guy. My fourth goal was to
create some kind of bond. Luckily the goatee was a topic that worked, if it had not I would have had to change topic fast.
The fifth thing to do was to make him to talk more (I´m still leading the conversation though). He started talking about his
sister which gave me more leverage (the more you know about your enemy, the better). This made it possible to at last
insinuate that we are in the same team (“yeah, they should cut every rapist di*k off! etc.). When that was established I could
end the conversation (I am getting really late for a train) and leave.

I have resolved a number of situations this way both in prison and at bars. Haven´t had to fight (outside line of duty or
training) for 15 years.

Today I try to be more prepared for the #:th time when it won´t work. I always carry a knife and sometimes an ASP.

I hope this was interesting reading for someone.

/Colinzz

Badger
05-04-2001, 12:18 AM
sorry, double post.

Badger
05-04-2001, 12:18 AM
:)

Sharky
05-04-2001, 12:32 AM
i've been thinking about this for a while and it brings up a few issues. basically what we're saying is that anyone in the whole world could have a weapon. so do u just never get into a fight under any circumstances due to this chance?

also how many of you have knifes? i've been thinking of carrying on for a while. if i do, obviously it would have to be some illegal flashy one which flicks open quickly etc. so i'd have to get it from someone/where dodgy. there's no point in having a swiss army knife or anything that takes too long. in fact if you killed someone with a swiss army knife (can't remember where iheard this) but basically it's murder cos the law see's that if you had the time to get it out and open it up, then u got time to run away.

is it worth it? u can go down for standing up 4 yourself? i dunno, wanna know ur opinions on weapons, how many of u carry them and why etc....

why can't things be settled with a fair fist fight? :)

Edd

wtsihing
08-08-2001, 11:10 PM
you did better than most. best not to find out if someone's carrying a weapon. you'll know when it's time to go to war.

jimmy23
08-09-2001, 02:58 AM
pay attention to your surroundings next time, and always carry a knife. You were smart not to fight though, 5 to 1 is bad odds

You guys have obviously never done any real fighting if you are mocking spitting

Spinning Backfist

nobody
08-09-2001, 05:02 AM
this kind of reminds me of a situation i have with my friends. if i was getting beat down by one guy, then my friends wouldnt jump in, and if they were in my situation, neither would i, its his/ my fight and they/me have no business getting entagled in it. however if some other dude jumps in and helps his friend, OH THEN ITS ON!!! your X-friend sounds like a real *******, but you did right. it sounds braver then what i would probably do. im not a confrontational person.(tho i dont know i have been known to go a little crazy :cool: ) anyway, if those mo fos be thinkin they be in harlem, den makem' think it! (just bring out a nice american colt .45) and see what they do (j/k) ;)

chessGMwannabe
08-10-2001, 12:14 AM
so what if he hit you, man (mate,lol)? definately from england. anyways, I totally agree with how you handled yourself. These guys were just looking to mess, so when they see that you don't want to get involved, they gave up. that last thing that you want to do is get wound up in these kinds of things, because even if you kicked the trash out of all six or so of them, you could have counted on a brick through your bedroom window in the near future. so let him take a swing or to if it makes him feel better. meanwhile you go home and are annoyed, which beats in the hospital. watch yourself better though, walkman not a good idea because it gives them a good chance to take control of the situation, and sometimes these guys are on stuff and they won't care if you'll hit back or not. :eek:

dave the dragon
08-13-2001, 03:29 PM
be aware of your surroundings at all times I rarely go out drinking or socialising in North London or various other dodgy places if I can help it.eg Camberwell ,Islington , Severn Sisters etc.
Sharky ,carry a knife with you at all times I know I do.dont flash it around but be prepared to use it .the situation you described ended well and if they ,as a group ,had wanted to take it to the next level they could have . run if you can and fight if you must.
knives in london are easy to obtain.Look on Cambden market for example youll find loads.

rogue
08-13-2001, 10:12 PM
Sharky, don't take this the wrong way, but you better get some street smarts.

While you managed to diffuse the situation just fine, some of the points of your account show why you were a mark,
Laughing at the guy in front of his friends, quickly dismissing the incident, walking around the street wearing a Walkman, thinking your "not the kinda person who gets started on".

You're lucky that this guy didn't really want to take you down. You might want to look into some awareness training or, don't laugh, a good rape prevention course that teaches awareness of your surroundings and maybe some basic people reading skills.

Glad you got off without any harm.

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

IcedSamurai
08-18-2001, 05:21 AM
You should've embarrassed him. Once he stuck his arm out, swipe it away and do some grappling restraining.. IF you take martal arts.. what style do you take? :P

If they start coming after you.. either run, or stay and pressure point them where they get weak XD

--------
Come, visit me and my floating island of serenity.. the Kingdom of the Winds..

rogue
08-18-2001, 06:03 AM
"or stay and pressure point them where they get weak XD". :eek:

RT, I'm guessing you're joking.

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

Gigante
09-01-2001, 01:52 AM
I know how you feel, Sharky. I've been in a couple of encounters like that, many years ago. I was more of a chicken then, than I am now.
I would let some badass (in school) walk all over me, and I would do nothing, for fear of retaliation. It happened like.. uh.. 17-18 years ago... but IT STILL ****ES ME THE **** OFF !!

After all this time... of course, I don't exactly think about it a lot.. but when I do, I see red.
Psychological damage (is that the correct term) can be awfully difficult to heal. And cuts and bruises can heal very quickly.
Or you can be hurt too bad and die. 8-)

Hmm. No easy answer, yes?

I just know, that if I had stood up for myself, I could've get hurt, physically, but it would be more like a pleasant memory, even if I lost. Assuming I wasn't permanently hurt. 8-)
It would not be worth life in a wheelchair. Nope. I think not. But it would be worth minor cuts and bruises. Pain is good. 8-)

Hm was there a point somewhere in all this? Maybe just that it's impossible to predict the future, and.. uh.. that you have only some split seconds to make your choice? 8-)

Sharky
09-01-2001, 02:41 AM
this thread should've died long, long ago.

================================================== ==========================

"What you wan' cry fo? You know that my hammer is heavy and it got kick like tae kwon do, now you gwarn die slow... I'ma show you how to stretch a m0ther****er if you wanna watch tae bo"