PDA

View Full Version : Endurance

the running guy
02-18-2001, 01:26 AM
As my screen name says, I like running. I consider myself to be in incredible cardiovascular shape. At the age of 17 I started training and competing in ultramarathons. Yet even with my phenomenal endurance I still get winded easily in sparring matches. Not being able to catch one's breath is a dangerous situation in a street fight. How can I train so I don't get winded so easily?

JerryLove
02-18-2001, 01:54 AM
Dame way you trained for running. Do it. You body needs to figure out how to get those muscles to work propery, what to relax, and what rythems to find.

Most fighting is not in rythem, so you will not last as long as you do running.

8stepsifu
02-18-2001, 02:10 AM
I was born and raised in Coos Bay....I assume you live in Eugene. How is God's country?

the running guy
02-18-2001, 03:04 AM
Actually, I live a bit closer to Portland. I might make it down to Eugene if I end up going to the University of Oregon. If anyone has any training tips (for martial arts or running) I'd really appreciate hearing them

jacob360
02-18-2001, 06:30 AM
I can't remember where I read about this, but oh well. You have trained your body to maintain a certain level of activity for long periods of time. Try 50 yard dashes. Sprint as hard and fast as you can, then jog backwards to the starting point, and repeat until you get tired. I heard this really helps with the explosive bursts of energy needed in a fight. A good way to balance is do this every other day, then do your regular running every other day. You'll get the best of both worlds. I'm definitely not an expert or anything, and like I said I can't remember where I learned about this, but it seems to make sense. When I trained in Western Boxing when I was younger, a trainer told me to run as fast as I could for three minutes (the length of a round) then walk for one minute (the period in between rounds), seems to be the same concept.

PEACE

nhbfighter_57069
02-18-2001, 08:59 AM
I used to run cross country in high school and wrestle, when I started Kung fu I had the same problem. I don't run as much now (two knee operations) but the biggest problem is you have to learn how to relax when sparring. My problem was I would be all tight when I sparred and my gas would go quick. So relax when you are in there. I feel there are three types of cardio. Wind-running and such, Stand-up fighting-learning to realx and Ground-learning when and how to relax on the ground. Hope this is a help.

"Pain in temporary, glory is forever."

HuangKaiVun
02-18-2001, 08:01 PM
Check your sparring technique, miles.

Could it be that you're working too hard against yourself?

I have found that a lot of traditional style fighters who haven't really done their sets enough don't fight in sparring in the efficient way their sets outline for them, and I'm not saying that you don't do your sets enough.

It also depends on what you mean by "sparring".

RFM
02-23-2001, 12:18 AM
In addition to just sparring more often, remember, as I always do as a non-runner who must run as part of my profession - it is all in the rhythm of how you breath, as well a muscular endurance, but your running breath and sparring breath are very different. Give that some thought next time your spar.

Peace,
Bob

From One Thing, Know Ten Thousand.

omegapoint
03-16-2001, 02:20 AM
Hey bruh' , I might know what the stamina problem is : anxiety. Whenever we stimulate our sympathetic nervous system through the act of combat (sparring or reality) our brains affect a release of epinephrine (adrenaline for you Brits and Aussies). In a controlled situation such as in the training hall/school it is not as severe (you might not get nausea) but it's probably enough to make your heart race and increase overall cardio-respiratory load. Just learn to relax if your school requires sparring. In actuality you want your body to react in a fight vs. flight way , and that's why many traditional instructors frown on sparring . I hope the sparring doesn't temper your true combat capabilities. Later...

Kune
03-16-2001, 03:01 AM
Dont hold your breath when you fight ;)

greedy
03-16-2001, 01:58 PM
basically, your problem comes from training for a specific distance in your marathons. In just the same way as a sprinter will train differently to a ultra-marathon runner, so must you tailor your exercise to suit the reuqired performance. Ring fighting, whether it be western boxing, kung fu or shootfighting, generally involves a series of rounds. This creates a situation where the athlete has to sustain a explosive amount of energy for two to three minutes, followed by a rest period of one minute.

To gain cardio-vascular fitness in this particular arena, do two things.
1. Spar more. By practicing the very event your are to be competing in, your body begins to adjust to the specific needs of the sport.
2. As jacob said, change your running to include sprints followed by jogging. If running in the city, try sprinting two blocks, then jogging one, sprinting two, jogging one etc. etc. For rural environment pick a similar distance relationship. Good luck.

Cheers

whitelion
03-18-2001, 07:21 AM
I know exactly what you mean Miles. Fight fitness is a completely different kind of fitness to running. I think part of it is the adrenaline thing, part of it is tension, and most of it is the sudden explosive bursts required.

I found the best way to improve fight fitness is to spar regularly. Either that, or learn to finish fights quickly :)

------------------------------------
Talk softly and carry a big stick.