PDA

View Full Version : For left handed people...

WuMan
08-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Do you guys ever have trouble practicing thigns such as weapons forms and such because your left handed and its performed on the other side of the body? How do you train to use your not so efficient hand?

Shaolin-Do
08-11-2003, 10:32 AM
Im right handed.
To train the other side, I do forms left sided
:)

Edit: just toying with the weapon in your weaker hand will help get the feel...

Mojo
08-11-2003, 10:55 AM
I'm left handed and I find that I'm much more coordinated in my off side than are righties.

Shaolin-Do
08-11-2003, 12:56 PM
Being forced to learn with your *bad* hand does have its advantages....
:)

Judge Pen
08-11-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Mojo
I'm left handed and I find that I'm much more coordinated in my off side than are righties.

That may be because our world is set up for right handers and you are forced to use your off side more than most people. I'm envious because I think it is an advantage.

rubthebuddha
08-11-2003, 01:34 PM
being skilled with your off-hand has advantages. just ask the dread pirate roberts. (http://www.erasofelegance.com/pbstills5.jpg)

Judge Pen
08-11-2003, 01:36 PM
lmao :D

jmd161
08-11-2003, 01:47 PM
Let me start by saying i'm right handed and my left is not that bad.It's not quite even with my right but it's better than normal.

I think something is wrong with the way many of us are taught and learn kung fu.Most forms are taught using the right side as the main side except for in Hung Fut.But that's not the problem i'm talking about.Not many ppl ever work their weak side.Every technique you're taught you're supposed to be able to do it on the other side as well.We are forced to make our weak side just as strong or stronger by my sifu.That is enforced by our one armed form it is done using you weak side.Once you learn this form you can no longer fight in school using your strong side.You must fight with one arm from then on out.So we are forced to use techniques with our weak side.But that's the way the forms and techniques were meant to be used in the first place.It's just that most don't train their other side.

jeff:)

dezhen2001
08-11-2003, 04:33 PM
hmmm... ive youve never done a staff or weapon form before with your left hand then it doesnt matter too much... just gotta train to make the other side stronger :)

thats what ive found anyway, with the little ive done with weapons.

dawood

Laughing Cow
08-11-2003, 04:47 PM
One reason for the right-side being dominant, comes from a few points.

1.) Most humans tend to dominately right-handed, in many cultures till not too long ago left-handed people were often considered to be associated with evil forces or the devil and people were re-trained to be right-handed or in extreme cases killed.

My Mother was among them, she can now use both hands nearly equally well.

When it came out that my son prefered using his left-hand at the creche I was asked if they should train him for his right side to be dominant,

2.) Next will be warfare, most fighting systems are are designed for many people fighting together and thus they need uniformity, left-handed among many right-handed was a problem.

Armor & equipment many fighters of old often had small shields strapped to their left forearm to take blows.
Making armor designed for left-handed people would be expensive, most warriors had to pay for their own armor and upkeep of it.
Also training people left-handed would be expensive in time and skill needed to do so.

This still holds true for modern armies too I think.

3.) Given the above points not many people/industries created things for left-handed people and thus re-inforced the drive for everybody being right-handed.
Things are changing slowly though.

Seeya.

Xebsball
08-11-2003, 07:48 PM
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=13299&highlight=ttt

Ikken Hisatsu
08-12-2003, 01:18 PM
Im left handed myself, but it is not that much of a problem. I would say that, compared to the many of the other people of my grade in my dojo, I am about as accurate and powerful with my right side as they are with their right, and far better than them with my left. of course that doesnt apply to everyone :)

I do however find it difficult during two person sets- Im used to blocking with my right and following with my left, whereas everyone else expects me to do the opposite. Which is a bonus in sparring because the punches come from the "wrong" side for them, but I have rarely fought another left handed person so Im used to people who attack from their right. I have been trying to use my right side more though because its all very well having a strong left punch but if my arm or leg gets hurt and I cant use the other side for peanuts....

Waidan
08-12-2003, 04:11 PM
I'm a lefty. I tend to like two-handed (or double) weapon forms. I used to really avoid single sword forms and the like...my right tends to be a bit retarded...but I've learned to cope over the years :)