PDA

View Full Version : Scrappers workouts, how often?

red5angel
08-11-2003, 12:58 PM
How often are you guys doing his workouts posted on the web?

fa_jing
08-11-2003, 01:44 PM
Never.

hehe

yenhoi
08-11-2003, 02:41 PM
Depending on your goals, competition, training cycle, etc, Id say between 3 and 6 times a week. Dont use the same program all the time.

I dont do them, I make up my own.

They are a good format to start from.

:eek:

red5angel
08-11-2003, 03:03 PM
yenhoi, thats sort of what I was going to do, start with his do it for about 2-3 weeks a few times a week and then go switch some of the stuff around. If you have some suggestions on bodyweight exercises I would appreciate it!

yenhoi
08-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Do lots of them.

I like pyramids (1rep, rest, 2rep, rest, 3rep, rest, 3rep, rest, 2rep, rest, 1rep, long rest, next set....)

Keep your sessions to 1 hour or less.

Make progress each session.

Dont do the same workout all the time, or even dont repeat the same workout twice.

Lots of sets.

Get a medicine ball.

Look into pylos.

Attributes. If you are strong and not explosive, then work on explosivness. If your slow, work on speed, if you gass easy, then work on endurance, etc.

IMO its more important for you to be doing rounds and rounds and rounds of drilling, focus mitts, pads, bags, and sparring then it is to add more and more "working out."

Depends on what your doing. If your going to compete, find out when, do some research on training cycles, and do that. Otherwise just train hard and often and dont forget diet.

:eek:

Ford Prefect
08-12-2003, 05:36 AM
I do BWE stuff 5-6 times a week along with 2-3x week weight training sessions.

Mr Punch
08-21-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by yenhoi
I like pyramids (1rep, rest, 2rep, rest, 3rep, rest, 3rep, rest, 2rep, rest, 1rep, long rest, next set....)
Why are pyramids good?

Scrapper recommends 30 secs between each one doesn't he? Isn't that a bit long, esp for a daily workout routine for anyone with a job!

Sorry, if the answers are on Scrapper's site, just tell me and I'll check it again properly when I have time!:D

Mr Punch
08-25-2003, 10:52 PM
No, he doesn't say.

Why are pyramids good?

Ford Prefect
08-26-2003, 06:37 AM
They allow you to do a relatively high volume in a short amount of time. For instance, I like to pyramid pull-ups, push-ups, and some ab exercise. I'll do 1x pull-ups, 2x push-ups, 3x abs for a 1-10-1 pyramid. So...

1 pull-up, 2 push-ups, 3 abs, 2 pull-ups, 4 push-ups, 6 abs, 3 pull-ups, 6 push-ups, 9 abs... up to 10-20-30 and back down again.

This takes about 15-20 minutes. So in 20 minutes, I do 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups, 300 abs. It raises the heart rate as well since it's continuous motion. Now I have 40 minutes to do my real workout!

rubthebuddha
08-26-2003, 08:55 AM
ford -- what kind of a break do you have between those sets?

Ford Prefect
08-26-2003, 09:10 AM
None or as little as possible. Some days, the volume is too much and I'll take a couple minutes at the peak of the pyramid.

IronFist
08-26-2003, 09:41 AM
^Whoa, no rest is hardcore.

I was just going to add, another way to do pyraminds when you're only doing one exercise, for example, pullups, is to rest for as long as it took you to do the reps.

See, it's cool if you do it with a friend, and then you only rest for as long as it takes him to do the pullups, so it's like this:

You: 1
Him: 1
You: 2
Him: 2
etc.

But if you're doing that by yourself, just imagine in your head how long it took you to do your set while you're waiting, and then when the time's up go again.

If you can't do too many pullups to begin with (like I'd say 4-10 max), pyramids are supposedly a good way to increase the number you can do. But when you're pyramiding them, never go past three reps. Either do:

1,2,3,2,1,2,3,2,1 etc.
or
1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3 etc.

Stop doing them when you can't complete the number you're supposed to do on any given set.

Ford's way is cool, too because it maintains the basic principal of pyramids, in that the more reps you do of a given exercise, the longer you rest before you do them again.

IronFist

rubthebuddha
08-27-2003, 12:03 PM
<---- jonesin for a pullup bar, now. :D

thanks ford, and thanks for the other options, iron.