PDA

View Full Version : A Single Technique

neigung
08-11-2003, 02:08 PM
OK, for the last 100 days of my program, I decided to choose a single technique and practice it as much as possible. The only problem being, which one do I chose?
I've thought about it in these terms:
A) Choosing the one I'm most comfortable with, since it would be easier and I'd develop a better understanding of said technique.
B) Choosing the one I'm least comfortable with. I've found that by practicing a technique I find difficult to do, others come easier and I gain a measure of thinking differently.
C) Just choose one at random. This seems stupid, but it's a possible option.

Any advice?

yenhoi
08-11-2003, 02:33 PM
The difficult one.

:eek:

norther practitioner
08-11-2003, 02:35 PM
I'd just be careful of not neglecting the rest...

red5angel
08-11-2003, 02:36 PM
Yenhoi's mom is particularly afraid of the speed bag so I would concentrate on that.

red5angel
08-11-2003, 02:39 PM
did I say speed bag? I meant tea bag.... ;)

yenhoi
08-11-2003, 02:55 PM
You canadians and your mom jokes, eh?

:eek:

red5angel
08-11-2003, 02:58 PM
You canadians

LOL! Didn't I tell you I don't believe in Canadians?!

yenhoi
08-11-2003, 03:00 PM
I see canadians.

:mad:

red5angel
08-11-2003, 03:06 PM
,,,They're everywhere. They walk around like everyone else. They don't even know that they're canadians...

neigung
08-11-2003, 03:25 PM
So I should practice teabagging difficult Canadians?

NorthernShaolin
08-11-2003, 03:35 PM
Choose A and then develop variations of it.

Golden Arms
08-11-2003, 03:46 PM
Choose your most difficult technique..focus on it, and eventually it will become yours...that will also build more general athleticism then choosing one that is easy, and natural. Plus you will get to work through something difficult and make it natural for you, something you will repeat many times over your MA lifetime :)

Laughing Cow
08-11-2003, 04:06 PM
Choose one that contains/expresses the most principles of your style.

In my style we got 2 movements that are considered to be like that.

One of those was used by a famous MA to defeat all his opponents.

Cheers.

fragbot
08-11-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by neigung
OK, for the last 100 days of my program, I decided to choose a single technique and practice it as much as possible. The only problem being, which one do I chose?
I've thought about it in these terms:
A) Choosing the one I'm most comfortable with, since it would be easier and I'd develop a better understanding of said technique.
B) Choosing the one I'm least comfortable with. I've found that by practicing a technique I find difficult to do, others come easier and I gain a measure of thinking differently.
C) Just choose one at random. This seems stupid, but it's a possible option.

Any advice?

D) Choosing the one that best represents your style's core principles.

In this instance, "your style" is a h o m o nym (ridiculous profanity block, it's an actual word).

SevenStar
08-11-2003, 08:57 PM
that depends... Do you compete?

neigung
08-12-2003, 01:15 PM
No competition, just the straight combat stuff.

No_Know
08-12-2003, 01:19 PM
Your favorite/best~ technique. This will show you that there is more than you might have thought to being good at something.

shaolinboxer
08-12-2003, 01:22 PM
100 days of a single technique sounds cool, but you run the risk of a repetitive stress injury.

Stacey
08-12-2003, 08:09 PM
boxers typically repeat a combo...for personal combat....pick a few techniches and work the **** out of your basics. Your super technique might not have the desired effect and he might be open for a kick to the head, but since you spend three months neglecting your kicks, its telegraphed, you rip your groin and he breaks your knee....

SevenStar
08-12-2003, 08:56 PM
Since you don't compete, I wouldn't worry about focusing on one technique, for the very reason that stacey stated... if you only have that one thing mastered, then end up in a fight and that tech doesn't work, then you've voluntarily rendered yourself shi!t outta luck...

Tigerstyle
08-12-2003, 09:59 PM
Just pick any move that involves putting your thumbs into your opponents eyes.

You will probably find that many techniques can follow that one very nicely :p

Or maybe you can spend the next 100 days developing a front kick that can split a dude vertically in two. :eek:

No_Know
08-14-2003, 04:24 AM
"...but since you spend three months neglecting your kicks, its telegraphed, you rip your groin and he breaks your knee...."-Stacey

Not every opening is an opportunity. If you have to go passed ease to execute a technique, then you put yourself at increased risk-ish. Merely don't go for the openings you cannot easily close. If you hadn't been training it perhaps you have the sense to be aware that you might not do it good enough and will look for opportunities at places the techniques you can execute reasonablly well without you hurting you can be done.

Trying for every opportunity is a desperate act. It is a dog chaseing it's tail. Or swatting at flys you can see or hear with a ten~ pound (weight) hammer or ice axe. Something like, perhaps-ish.