PDA

View Full Version : Related to another thread:Does anybody carry any weapons in their car? If so then what?

magicfist
02-15-2001, 05:57 PM
I was reading the thread about someone strangling you in your car, and I noticed a few people mention knives. I was just curious what weapons people have in their cars.?

Budokan
02-15-2001, 08:08 PM
I always carry a knife in the console of my car. I also have a wooden baseball bat in the backseat, but The Club (used to lock the steering wheel for those who may not know) is a much better bludgeoning weapon.

K. Mark Hoover

rogue
02-15-2001, 10:05 PM
I find that having the Juiceman weilding a knife and pineapple to be enough of a deterent no matter what the situation. He's a little annoying but he hasn't failed me yet.

http://infomercial.tvheaven.com/knife.JPG

[This message was edited by rogue on 02-16-01 at 12:18 PM.]

oldwolf
02-15-2001, 11:11 PM
Don't know about the law in the states or down under, but here in the UK you will be prosecuted for carrying an offensive weapon in your motor. I have supplied my missus with a lead filled short club as a road rage detterent and often carry blunt instruments. Here is the kicker, get stopped and searched, there is one on at the moment, and asked to explain. My car has electric windows and doors officer and I am claustraphobic.
I need this blunt instrument to smash the windows in an emergency.
trust me it has worked.

:D

"And the crowd called out for more"

Black Jack
02-16-2001, 06:11 AM
I have a tactical folder on me most of the time so that would be the blade I would use in a situation like that.

I also have a ASP Baton hidden in my truck for those unkown situations where I may need it but I on the way home from training I my kali sticks with me that would work just as well.

I know of one guy who has a very high volt portable searchlight in his car and has used that to blind people in hot situations where he needed to get away.

Neat idea.

Regards

8stepsifu
02-17-2001, 08:21 AM
I used to have a truck that came with a gun rack. I don't own any guns, so I put my tai chi sword up there. On the second row I had nunchucks and a rope dart looped around. The only place I drove was to school and kung fu so it really didn't matter.

Now I've got a car and for the longest time my ropedart was in the backseat. I keep a pocket knife and a lighter, but thats more for wilderness survival. I have a tire wrench and I suppose my seat belt could be used to trap an incoming hand. I don't really worry about it though. If I ever get attacked I know for a fact that my weapons won't be anywhere near me. Your own body is the only thing that you wont forget in your other jacket.

BigDude
02-17-2001, 08:39 AM
I'm kind of along the same lines as Old Wolf. I had a buddy who carried a reasonably large knife in a sheath attached to his door in cas he got "carjacked". He got pulled over for speeding and wound up in some pretty serious legal trouble for the knife.

They make these really nifty "emergency hammers" for when you're trapped in your car. Seriously, the only time you would use it would be either if your car is on fire or you have driven off a bridge and are completely submerged. It has a razor sharp edge for cutting your seatbelt loose (sort of internal though) and the "head" of the hammer tapers to a very small point so you can deliver a lot of force to a small area. I figure if it would shatter tempered glass, it would do a fair job on a skull.

Of course, I actually carry this for its real purpose. I was actually in a car fire once and have been extremely afraid of the situation ever since.

Whether the stone hits the pitcher, or the pitcher hits the stone, it's that pitcher that gets hurt

lowsweep
02-19-2001, 01:15 AM
If you have a bat in your car have a ball and glove in there too, saves a lot of explaining if you get pulled over. Instead of an armed man you are now somebody who likes a friendly pick-up game or playing with family. :cool:

boards (shake head)
don't hit back

JWTAYLOR
02-19-2001, 11:34 PM
Over/Under 12 Guage Savage behind the seat. One lump or two?
JWT

Watchman
02-28-2001, 08:19 AM
Love the shotgun. My little brother carries a semi-automatic USAS 12 guage with him in his truck.

I carry a .45 handgun in the car and on my person. Sorry to hear about you Brits not being able to legally carry more offensive weapons. Us Yanks in the western US have what you call conceal carry privileges.

I almost love getting pulled over nowadays because the state of Utah's concealed carry permits look like little ID cards. When I get pulled over I hand the "gun card" to the cop with my driver's license. When they see the conceal carry permit they ask, "Do you have your weapon with you now, sir?" and I say, "Yes, it's right underneath the steering column" and they say, "Well, would you mind keeping your hands on the wheel?"

It's nice to be treated with respect. An armed society is a polite society, as they say out our way.

This reminds me of a funny anecdote: I have a kung-fu brother who lives in London that came out to train with us two years ago. It being his first trip to the States, my brother and I thought we'd take him down to the neighborhood gun shop to pick up some ammunition for our "assault weapons" and take him shooting. When we walked into the store he completely froze and just stood there staring at all the weapons lined up on the wall. After a minute I asked him what the problem was, and he asks, "Can anyone just come in here and take one of those guns?!" I started laughing and said, "Pretty much, yeah." He said he expected a bank vault type operation.

He was even more amazed that we could just drive a few miles out to the sand dunes, set up some paper targets, and shoot automatic weapons without any question.

It's sometimes interesting to see things through another's eyes, and really keeps you from taking certain things for granted.

"Learning without thought is labour lost; thought without learning is perilous." -- Confucious

SifuAbel
02-28-2001, 10:17 AM
Funny,

I had a great aunt come from cuba and do the same thing at a row of coffee at the local Publix Supermarket. See just looked at it like it wasn't real, then looked at a relativly small checkout line and started crying.

Its dangerous to think you are immortal.
sifuabel@aol.com

soy
03-01-2001, 07:45 AM
I cary many weapons in my car.. Only one with the intent of defense.. Heres the list:

Club

Diving Knife (Crowbar tip, serated one edge, sharp other edge, very durable)

In the trunk:

2x 36" Shinai
1x Tai Chi Wooden Sword
1x Hardwood Daito

Demi @ CSPT
03-01-2001, 05:17 PM
We have some messed up laws...
Here in Ca. it is a "felony" to possess a stick or anything that can be used as a atick. So if you have a bat in your car an you cannot definitavly prove you were playing baseball you can be arrested on a felony charge. This could be a pipe, a plunger without the rubber end, anything... If your convicted of a "felony" you lose your right to own a handgun (forever) and your right to vote.
BUT...
If you are caught with a loaded, concealed handgun: It's a MISDEMEANOR! That's like a speeding ticket. They would take the gun and you would not get it back but you could buy another.

Carry a stick = BIG TROUBLE
Carry a gun = Pay a fine

This is one I've known about for years and it was really driven home durring training I had a while back when I was going through the process for a concealed weapons permit.

Demi Barbito - www.DemiBarbito.com (http://www.DemiBarbito.com)

Danny T
03-04-2001, 07:59 AM
Yea, I carry a couple.

First off Louisiana has a concealed carry law and I do carry. Also your vehicle is considered a part of your home. Therefore anything you can have in your home can also be in your vehicle.
Don't you just love it!!

I do carry a 1911 45cal in my vehicles along with several knives and a 40cal on my person .

As to those of you carrying rattan "training" sticks with the thought of using them as self-defense weapons please think again! For your lifes sake, they are TRAINING sticks. Used for safety because they are soft and forgiving. Will they give you a knot or bruise, Yes! But they are NOT for fighting. If you are going to carry a stick make sure it is a heavy dense hard wood.
NOT SOFT RATTAN

Danny T
www.progressivemaclub.homestead.com (http://www.progressivemaclub.homestead.com)

kwang
03-15-2001, 05:40 AM
I carry a few nice sized river rocks in my car. I actually had to use em once. I was driving home from the river and had a few rocks, cant remember why, and I picked up this crazy hitchhiker guy who started attacking me for no reason so I bashed him with one of the rocks in the head, pulled over and dumped him out. Ever since a hefty rock has been in my car.

Kwang

Kwang

Daedalus
03-15-2001, 11:18 PM
I carry a Sig P-225(9mm) in the car most of the time.
As far as traditional martial arts weaponry goes,..nope.

Easy Rider
03-18-2001, 01:09 AM
I carry a folder (spyderco police) every day in my waistband, and an AF-dagger (classic combat dagger from böker, pretty big and mean) under the console of my car in a sheath. Here in Germany, you can carry whatever blade, club or other weapon you want, as long as it's not a firearm. A concealed dagger is no problem (of course not in schools etc.), but a firearm would get you in REAL serious trouble. I envy you US guys for the freedom you have, especially concerning firearms (in Germany, even when shooting as a sport the authorities try to give you as much trouble as they can, and guns for self-defense are completely outlawed), but I really pity you British. Compared to you, we live in a paradise of freedom here in Germany.

Kymus
03-19-2001, 05:54 PM
I have 4 escrima sticks in my trunk. In my old car I used to keep a ninja boken in the back seat. also, under the drivers seat is The Club which is better used for self defence than theft deterant.

Danny: Tell ya what, come to NJ and let me hit you with a wu tik or abiniko or radondo (my philipene spelling is off) to the head with one of my escrima sticks and tell me if you feel like putting up a fight. I've taken Kali for 4 years. Unless they have a gun, my escrima sticks will win, trust me. They are fast and they freakin hurt. Ever get pelted in the hand with one? Imagine, taht's just during normal practice, just imagine that force x3 at your head. Talk about a migrane!

-Kymus

atsai
03-26-2001, 04:09 AM
As mentioned before, you should keep something sharp and pointy in your car to break window anyway. Use one hand to hold the point of the knife against the window and the other hand to deliver a good palm strike to the butt of the knife--who needs power window?

I lived in New Orleans for a while, but I'm unfamiliar w/ the laws of Sportsman's Paradise. Here in california, I've heard people got into trouble for keeping a golf club in the car. But still many people keep a weapon w/i reach to use on highway against other cars... I even had a friend who keep a short samuri sword beside the seat!

Bat w/ balls and glove is a good idea; I never thought of that before... I know many people keep a big screwdriver in the glovebox. One of those big aluminum 3D Maglite flashlight can also be used as weapon...but they get real hot in sunny days.

Art

It's 50% fighter and 50% style.

ansgenius1
03-28-2001, 12:24 AM
I carry nunchakus and a steel whip. One I keep in the glove compartment, and the other I keep near my change tray. I could also use my tire iron.

Alex01
04-02-2001, 02:23 AM
i think i got all you "i got a knife" people beat. i carry a machete right in reach of my left hand on the floor between the seat and the door. im not too sure what the highway patrol would think of it so thank goodness im a perfect driver. kidding ofcourse :lol

Lazy Fists

Koing
04-06-2001, 11:47 PM
well I have buggger all as I can't drive *yet* I'm 17...I'll pass soon.....

well in my dads car he has

nunchakus
6" mean rambo type knife with serated blade and other blade in even a compass on the end of it as well......
really mean knuckle duster thing with 5 blades sticking out that my dad has also sharpened by the way to make even more damage. The bits that do stick out are like 5 triangluar bits.
and other various wrenches and screw drivers I think even a wooden baseball bat.

We live in the UK as well so if my dad was ever stopped and searched he would be in serious trouble the knife, nunchakus and the knuckle duster!

Its crazy as he has the knuckle duster in the glove compartment.

The basebat on the floor under his seat. The nunchakus on the floor. And the Blad on his side door compartment.

I think its wick to have the weapons in the car. It will act as a real detterent and weapon against anyone whos going to try anything. My dad can stop and choose which weapon to pul out and use he has so many!..lol....

When I get my own car I'm going to stick the nunchakus in my car:)

"Bye 4 now; not 4 ever"

UberShaman
04-08-2001, 08:26 AM
a cold steel fighting shovel, sharpened of course

house of chang
04-09-2001, 09:06 PM
i don't own a car but on my person (in an easy-to-get-to pouch on my bag) i carry a blackjack and i'm currently shopping around for a good knife.

Martial Ethics Method