PDA

View Full Version : I think my leg is f'ed up, what the hell is up with this?!

Viper555
08-12-2003, 02:54 PM
For like the past week I had been running a mile and a half everday trying to get in better shape. Well after a couple of days my leg mucsles started to get sore(especially the one on my right leg on the shin part) so I took three days off to let them rest up. Well today I ran a little less than a mile because I was tired and didn't feel up to any more than that. Well just a couple of minutes ago I was sitting down and I just curled my toes and that "shin" muscle(dont know what it is called) felt like it was really tight and kind of made a noise like a creaking door hinge. It did this either way that I bent my toes and when I moved my foot up or down. It has stopped doing that now but it hurts pretty bad everytime I move that foot now. What is up with that, should I go to the doctor or just let it rest for awhile? What should I do?

rubthebuddha
08-12-2003, 03:02 PM
SHIN SPLINTS, bay-bee.

my suggestion is this -- sit down on your bum, lift your foot into the air, and do the reverse motion of a calf raise -- try to pull your toes back to your knee as far as you can with just that muscle. relax. repeat.

do two or three sets of ten a couple times per week. your shins will get better and stronger quickly.

for more info, do a search for "shin splints" on this forum -- this topic has been covered many a time.

Viper555
08-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Doing what you just said hurts like hell but I guess ill give it a shot. Do you have any idead how long it will take for them to heal up because I need to start running again very soon. Also do you know of another exercise I can do that is equivalent to running?

One more question though. The pain is in the muscle, not the bone, so these can be shin splints right? Some of my friends told me that when you get them the bone hurts and not the muscle.

IronFist
08-12-2003, 04:47 PM
I wouldn't do that exercise until your shin splints feel better. Aggrivating the muscle while it's still sore won't help anything.

IronFist

Viper555
08-12-2003, 05:19 PM
So should I just ice it and chill for awhile? Could I like maybe ride a bike or something instead of running? Will I be able to run longer by increasing my riding time? How long should it take for these to heal up?

Sorry about all these questions but I kinda need to know them since im in the ROTC and the physical fitness test is coming up soon. Thanks for all the help.

later

IronFist
08-12-2003, 05:34 PM
I've heard that this is good for shin splints:

Sit the Japanese way. This means on your knees with your feet under your butt. Your shins should be along the ground, and since your feet are extended it should STRETCH the sore shin splint muscle. I've heard that helps but I have no experience with it.

IronFist

Viper555
08-12-2003, 06:49 PM
Ill give that a shot, but its really starting to hurt to walk now so im going to the doctor tommorrow. Every freaking step you can hear the **** "creaking".

IronFist
08-12-2003, 10:31 PM
Dude that's pretty messed up if you can hear the muscle creaking. Are you sure you're hearing it and not just feeling it?

IronFist

rubthebuddha
08-12-2003, 10:35 PM
ironfist is right on both waiting and sitting, and i should have been smArt (http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/Homer/Sounds/smart.wav) enough to say let it heal.

so let it heal, do those exercises, and all the while, stretch those muscles. sitting how ironfist suggested is adequate.

one main reason they hurt is because those muscles can act as the cushion for when you're running. stride after stride, they can take a beating. best way to prepare a muscle? make it strong. :)

Viper555
08-13-2003, 12:44 PM
Well I didnt get to go to the doctor today but ill probably be going pretty soon. The pain has eased up a bit but it still hurts. I wondered if maybe I was imagining the noise at first but everyone else in my family can hear it, and from a pretty good distance too.

rubthebuddha
08-13-2003, 01:14 PM
that's what is called "doctor fodder." a little creaking in a joint is one thing, but this sounds icky.

TigerJaw
08-14-2003, 03:32 AM
Make sure you take care of this. Rest, stretch and strength both your shin and calf muscles.

Whatever you do, don't just stretch it a bit until the pain goes and then start running. Untreated shin splites can lead to compartment syndrome which can lead to the operating table to have the sheath arround the shin muscle slit to let the pressure off. If you ignore compartment syndrom your foot can go numb and eventually gangrenous. People have been known to have to have amputations.

Okay, so that was a bit worse case scenario but make sure it's properly healed before you start running again, all the same. Take up some other thing that's less pressure on the shins. I would recommend an activity but I don't know what's best.

SaMantis
08-14-2003, 09:05 AM
Viper555,

all good advice above, however since you're prepping for the PFT, you have to run. personally, I hate running, but I had to do it while I was in the Army, & I dealt with shinsplints in the beginning.

for now, just rest - about 3 days. Take NSAIDS (ibuprofen, basically) for pain & to reduce swelling. work on your pushups & situps in the meantime, if you're not uncomfortable, but don't try to "max" anything. relax and take it easy.

After 3 days try stretching the muscle, if there's no pain then do the exercises described above. Walk the 1 1/2 miles (if you're not in pain).

After a week resume running, but don't run every day. Give yourself a break every other day from running & concentrate on strength (for the pushup & situp portions). This is how the Army structures basic training PT sessions.

You will actually improve faster and will be physically ready for the PFT if you don't run everyday. If the shinsplints come back while training, stop running & follow the therapy above. Shinsplints are pretty common for new runners & take 3-6 weeks to go away completely.

fa_jing
08-14-2003, 09:37 AM
Ironfist is correct about sitting the Japanese way. Great stretch.

Here's good news: You don't have to run at all to train for running! Of course the law of specificity says that running itself will improve your running the *most*, however other exercise will still help you nearly as much.

Any leg endurance or strength/endurance work will help you with your running. Try: bodyweight squats, hi reps. Calf raises, high reps. Stretch alot. Ride the bike. Swim for cardio. Hi rep kicks from your martial arts, but don't hyperextend the knees.

And the #1 thing I can think of : jump rope. Because you stay on your toes and your feet are never behind you, this is WAY less stressful on your "shin" muscles.

Do what these guys suggested and see a Doctor, definately.

Here's more encouragement: A friend of mine was running 5-milers all the time, between 7-8 minutes a mile. His friend, who does no running whatsoever, but is heavily into mountain biking, and maybe pushups or something, went running with him one day. The mountain biker guy SMOKED my running friend. He completed the 5-mile run in about 30 minutes. That's 6 minute miles.

Good Luck!

Viper555
08-18-2003, 04:10 PM
Well, I finally went to the doctor the other day and it turns out I don't have shinsplints. He said that I ruptured the thing that lubricates the muscle(forgot what it was called) and that I need to stay off of it for about two weeks. I guess it was drying out and that was what was making the "squeaking" noise. Anyway, I figured I would just let you guys know what happened to me and thanks for all the advice.