PDA

View Full Version : nam wah pai kung fu- opinions?

Ikken Hisatsu
08-12-2003, 04:32 PM
back when i was a young un, I used to practice goju kensha karate. after a while I stopped going simply because I was un motivated. About 3-4 months ago I wanted to start going again and found out there was a kung fu dojo near where I lived, and thought I would give it a try.

To cut a long story short I love it- I have become far more flexible and stronger, my reactions are better, I have learnt how to use nunchukas with a fair bit of competence, and as soon as I leave one session Im looking forward to the next. I do have one little niggle though- Ever since I can remember I have been fascinated by 5 animal style kung fu, unfortunately I live in New Zealand and the only dojo is 2 hours from where I live. Once I move somewhere closer (which won't be for a while yet) I plan on going.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who does 5 animal style so I have no idea whether it is effective at all and whether I would be better off staying with nam wah pai. of course, it depends on the dojo as well- my current sensei is one of the most likeable people I have ever met, tough but fair and always willing to have a chat if we have a problem with something.

so anyway. opinions on 5 animal style and nam wah pai, and which is better- not just for fighting, because I find the best self defense is to not put myself in a dangerous situation- but also for flexibility, health, conditioning, and weapons usage (I enjoy training with traditional weapons like Bo's, nunchukas and tonfa, despite their lack of practicality)

also, because this question always seems to get asked- I am about 60 kilos and about 5"10, so not really much of a boxer :)

JAZA
08-12-2003, 09:46 PM
I have a friend who train with Sim Po Oh. It's blended style, they say they train shaolin, xingyi and tai chi, but some things looks like karate.
I don't know if matters, but the most used way of calling a sensei in CMA is Sifu, and dojo is generally a Gwoon.

Ikken Hisatsu
08-13-2003, 02:54 AM
heh I was trying to remember the chinese names but after having done karate for 3 years and kung fu only for 3 months I just keep using japanese words :rolleyes:

Surferdude
08-13-2003, 08:28 PM
One-punch Deathblow???
How about Mushin no kokoro?
or karate ni sente nashi?
Know em?:cool: :confused:

Ikken Hisatsu
08-13-2003, 11:59 PM
heh my vocab of chinese and japanese words is somewhat limited, I use Ikken Hisatsu because its 1)got a cool sound and 2)has a cool meaning.

_b

anyway, anyone got any topic related help?