PDA

View Full Version : Creatine Increases Brain Power?

Souljah
08-13-2003, 02:30 AM
Any thoughts on this? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3145223.stm)

-greg

Ford Prefect
08-13-2003, 06:58 AM
I don't know much about the physiology of the brain, but I don't see any way that creatine could premote better memory. I'd call bunk on it.

Souljah
08-13-2003, 09:37 AM
However, experts say that it has a role in maintaining energy levels to the brain, and have the theory that taking more creatine might actually improve mental performance.

I guess it makes sense if it follows through.....

Ford Prefect
08-13-2003, 09:50 AM
If the brain got it's energy from the ADP-CP energy system, then it'd make sense, but it doesn't. It sounds like some people trying to combine muscle energy with those of the brain. Doesn't make sense.

rubthebuddha
08-13-2003, 11:19 AM
the fact that they had to use vegetarians for the test skews the results dramatically, for several reasons:

1. the test didn't take into account general omnivores, much less answer the question "does eating meat produce the same effects?"

2. they limited it to a small percentage of the BBC's audience -- most are still meat-eaters.

there's more, but my eyes hurt right now. i'll just agree with ford and rest my peepers.

Former castleva
08-20-2003, 05:36 PM
Not that high on science.

They seem to indicate that creatine would do but they accept the idea without providing any mechanism on how creatine should&would do that.Those "on creatine" had better results,yes,but considering that the research appears minor to me,it would carry with itself the danger of post-hoc to conclude that creatine was after that.The why´s and how´s cry out to be exposed.

Laughing Cow
08-20-2003, 05:56 PM
Health risks?

Little is known about the long-term effects of taking creatine - there are reports of effects on blood sugar balance.

The supplement is also notorious for creating an unpleasant odour in the vicinity of the taker.

There is no evidence that the mental boost would continue over time, even if the patient carried on taking creatine for months rather than weeks.

Dr Rae said: "Creatine supplementation may be of use to those requiring boosted mental performance in the short term - for example university students."

Nuff said!.

rubthebuddha
08-20-2003, 10:45 PM
Dr Rae said: "Creatine supplementation may be of use to those requiring boosted mental performance in the short term - for example university students." is a shame we can't spike the coffee on the floor of congress this next legislative session. :o

Laughing Cow
08-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
is a shame we can't spike the coffee on the floor of congress this next legislative session. :o

You wanna add to the stink??

The supplement is also notorious for creating an unpleasant odour in the vicinity of the taker.
:D