PDA

View Full Version : Sword Polisher's Record . . .

PAMantis
08-13-2003, 09:22 AM
by Adam Hsu.

I was wondering if anyone else here has read it, and am curious about their thoughts. I thought it was a well put together collection, and would like to know of more sources like it.

PAMantis

Ren Blade
08-13-2003, 09:37 AM
The Sword Polisher's Record: The Way Of Kung-Fu is a great book. I highly recommend it to people who haven't read it yet.

http://www.gateway-martial-arts-supplies.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GTTO&Product_Code=BK-TL-0804831386-KF&Category_Code=BK-KF

BeiTangLang
08-13-2003, 09:57 AM
I highly reccomend it.

PAMantis
08-13-2003, 10:53 AM
I highly recomend it also, does anyone know of other books like it? That are presented so that the novice practitioner can easily read and understand it? I would love to read more like it.

PAMantis

keef321
08-17-2003, 02:39 AM
Yep it sure is a great book, it was the first book that my sifu told me to buy and a good buy it was. I would be interested also to know if anyone else knows of other such good books!

samadhi_fire
08-17-2003, 03:46 AM
Here are a couple of books that I'm in the midst of reading:

Moving towards Stillness: Lessons in Daily Life from the Martial Ways of Japan
by David Lowry

and

Kodo Ancient Ways: Lessons in the Spiritual Life of the Warrior/Martial Artist
by Kensho Furuya

They're basically around the same mould as Adam Hsu's book. Yup, Good luck.

count
08-17-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by PAMantis
I highly recomend it also, does anyone know of other books like it? That are presented so that the novice practitioner can easily read and understand it? I would love to read more like it.

PAMantis
I first became interested in Kung Fu while reading The Sword Polishers Record when it ran as a monthly column in Inside Kung Fu Magazine. Most of my friends where watching and copying Bruce Lee's movies while I was more interested in reading what Adam Hsu had to say. When I met Master Hsu in 1984, I asked him this very question. He simply said, "First, go to the mountain..."

Does anyone know when and if Adam's current book will be translated into English? :mad:

PAMantis
08-20-2003, 12:32 PM
samadhi_fire,

Do you have a source for those books, or are they readily available? When I ordered Sword Polisher's Record there were only three remaining copies in the distribution center. I am guessing good Kung Fu books are hard to come by.

Count,

I hope to someday have the chance to "go to the mountain." And meet Sifu Hsu also for that matter.

PAMantis

count
08-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Well, good luck, that mountain is in Taiwan 98 percent of the time these days. :p

Brad
08-21-2003, 06:46 AM
When I ordered Sword Polisher's Record there were only three remaining copies in the distribution center. I am guessing good Kung Fu books are hard to come by.
I got my copy at Barnes & Noble
:)

samadhi_fire
08-21-2003, 07:18 AM
PAMantis,

oh, i got my books from the local bookstore (kinokuniya in singapore) but yeah, i searched amazon.com for them and they seem to have most of the stuff.

haha don't think that's gonna help much. good luck. cheers.

PAMantis
08-21-2003, 07:41 AM
LOL, no I don't think my wife will let me take a trip to Singapore for a few Kung Fu books, or really for any reason for that matter as we couldn't afford it anytime soon. But I guess I'll check out amazon.com unless Gene tells me he has them in his on-line store.

Brad,

I got my copy from Walden Books in Philly, but I even went to a Borders in Annapolis on a visit there and they did not even have any at their distribution center. And like I said the Walden Books near me only had 3 copies (now they have two hehehe). It just seems like not many books are readily available.

PAMantis

RAF
08-21-2003, 08:19 AM
Why don't you give this link a shot:

http://www.plumpub.com/

http://www.plumpub.com/sales/kungfu_books.htm#essays

Recommended!
The Spring and Autumn of Chinese Martial Arts-5000 Years
by Professor Kang Ge-Wu
(The first major history in English of Kung Fu)

The Sword Polisher's Record by Adam Hsu

Deadly Karate Blows:
Brian Adams famous work on the medical implications of martial strikes

The Martial Artist's Way

Moving Toward Stillness

Martial Arts Teaching Tales

Chinese Military Theory Back in Stock!! Sale Price!!

Empowerment with Freedom from Fear
Woman's self-defense: a manual

Kung Fu for Young People
a children's book of Kung Fu

WEAPONS

Wing Chun Weapons

T'ai Chi "13 Method" Sword

Kwan-Dao Play

Tornado Broadsword Form

Kwan-Dao

Chinese Art of SwordsmanshipRecommended!\\Goo

Good luck!

PAMantis
08-21-2003, 08:36 AM
Now I know what I want for Christmas! LOL. With my next bonus I'll pick a bunch of them up. If i read them as closely as I did Sword Polisher's Record I will have reading material for quite some time. I actually studied that book. I don't know when the last time was that I actually read, reread, and reread a chapter to make sure that I understoos as much as I could before moving on. And I have a feeling that I will read that book several more times as I grow in skill and understanding of 7*.

PAMantis