PDA

View Full Version : Bil Jee technique

mtod1
08-13-2003, 05:18 PM
Hi all.

Toward the end of Bil Jee there's a move where your entire upper body dives down toward the ground (feet still on ground) and you come back up with crossed arms spreading out in either direction.

Can anyone give me an explanation of this technique/move.
p.s this is from TWC but I'd like to hear other lineages explanations too.

thanks
seeya

TjD
08-13-2003, 05:39 PM
body mechanics and power generation, just like every other motion in biu jee.

also as with everything in biu jee, think outside the box and try to use it in chi sau (gently). :D

we don't cross our arms at the end. the upper body goes down and the palms strike the ground, and then they shoot up protecting the head before the upper body goes back up. none of the crossing and spreading. the main importance of this move is the going down and the going up; and how you can generate power with it, imho.

[Censored]
08-13-2003, 06:08 PM
the main importance of this move is the going down and the going up; and how you can generate power with it, imho.

Not only that, but also absorbing force without giving up your anchor to the ground.

Phil Redmond
08-13-2003, 09:09 PM
"One" purpose, (in TWC), is to cover your head by raising your hands up over your head first if you're getting up from the ground so you won't get punched or kicked while getting back up.
Of course you wouldn't stand up using YJKYM like in the form. There is some footwork involved. There is another reason for that move also.
I've done other WCK where they taught it was to grab a leg when in a bear hug. I wouldn't want to pull a leg up near my groin. I've learned a few other interpretations of that move also in other WC lineages.

old jong
08-13-2003, 09:51 PM
The gracies are teaching it. (http://www.gracieacademy.com/multimedia/motm0205.shtml) in that little clip.
I think it is not a bad idea in that situation. ;)

jesper
08-13-2003, 11:43 PM
Dont pull his leg to far to fast :)

namron
08-14-2003, 06:07 AM
A while ago on another thread anerlich suggested this move (torso bend and strike) might also be applied to a rear bear hug attack where your arms arm pinned at the elbows. (Similar to ASLT).

I tried this and it seems to work quite well from an immediate reaction creating enough space to shift and attack.

As with most holds however it your attacker is already set with a tight grip or taking balance it fares a lot worse.

Phil Redmond
08-14-2003, 11:11 AM
Wholly cow. I never knew the Gracies were teaching this move. I learned it years ago in WCK. Now you see the part I don't like about pulling a leg up near my groin area. You have to have good control or....ouch.
Thanks old jong.

old jong
08-14-2003, 03:10 PM
Hey Phil!
You just use your balls of steel to break the guy leg!...;) (or whatever you got there!...) ;) ;) ;)

John Weiland
08-14-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by old jong
Hey Phil!
You just use your balls of steel to break the guy leg!...;) (or whatever you got there!...) ;) ;) ;)
Seriously? Someone who has you in that position from behind is going to let you reach through and then he'll give you his leg to pull. Yeah, that might work. :p What happens if he just leans on you as you're bending forward and won't let you up?

There are other things to do in that situation than the problematical depicted move.

As for the movement in Biu Gee, how about viewing it as bending down over a grappler shooting for your legs and delivering a strike to his neck, which I've seen done with real power when the striker kept his strong horse? I refer to the move as "Buddha drops his contact lens." :D

Too much technique analysis leads us nowhere. Body positioning and fundamentals are more important.

Regards,

old jong
08-14-2003, 04:51 PM
"Buddha drops his contact lens."!!!

You're right! ;)

yuanfen
08-14-2003, 05:49 PM
When India exploded its first nuclear device, the code phrase for success from the field to Prime Minister Mrs. Indira Gandhi was
"The Buddha Smiles". Strange. Also stange and funny is the Buddha drops his contact lens. Poor Buddha- will get you for that.

Back to John W's point- of course the sityation would be different if the grabber leaned in a bit.

That is one of the problems with many demos and "realistic" videos- assumes set scenarios and that one fellow is the dummy.

That move is in some pre Gracie jujutsu books.

OTOH- regarding the groin the puller is sitting back and tilting when pulling thereby the groin is not in danger- though a close call. Actually, the grabber could go with the flow and endanger the groin. A demo is justa demo. And it is a technique oriented demo.
So whats the answer, I forget the question. So...SPAR!!!

yuanfen
08-14-2003, 05:55 PM
When India exploded its first nuclear device, the code phrase for success from the field to Prime Minister Mrs. Indira Gandhi was
"The Buddha Smiles". Strange. Also stange and funny is the Buddha drops his contact lens. Poor Buddha- will get you for that.

Back to John W's point- of course the sityation would be different if the grabber leaned in a bit.

That is one of the problems with many demos and "realistic" videos- assumes set scenarios and that one fellow is the dummy.

That move is in some pre Gracie jujutsu books.

OTOH- regarding the groin the puller is sitting back and tilting when pulling thereby the groin is not in danger- though a close call. Actually, the grabber could go with the flow and endanger the groin. A demo is justa demo. And it is a technique oriented demo.

anerlich
08-15-2003, 05:17 PM
Beside the applications mentioned, also a preliminary to the rolling legbar.

The Gracies might (do, I have the book) teach something similar, but if you are grabbed from behind you have to do something before you get taken down via a rear trip or suplexed onto your head, or etc.

Ng Mui
08-15-2003, 07:57 PM
The last movement in the last form breaks many Wing Chun rules. Keep spine straight, Dont over extend, keep eyes on opponent, keep the center line and attack in straight line, just to name a few.
It breaks these rules on purpose.
It is trying to tell the student to use Wing Chun and not allow Wing Chun to use you.
The principles of this style are there to help the student, not box him or her into a set of rules that could restrict in a confrontation.
In a real fight ......if it works ( Wing Chun or not) use it.
That is the meaning of that movement.........not many know it.
Now you do.

John Weiland
08-16-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by yuanfen

I trust that Buddha has a sense of humor. :D

The situation in the clip is ridiculous IMO. If someone grabbed you from behind as depicted, throwing away your structure to try to grab between your own legs is crazy. And more realistically, wouldn't it be more likely, if someone behind you can grab you, to pin your arms too? Then how does that move work? I think the combined comments have shown limited insight into the Bil Gee set movement. If what students are taught is that its interpretation is a grab between the legs, then something or someone is misdirected.

But in the demo, it isn't apparent which. :p

iblis73
08-20-2003, 11:19 PM
When I was training WT I was under the impression that it is a type of training for THROWING. Much like the pigeon toed stance trains both legs at once.
Sifu V. Guittierrez of Spain uses the throw alot-its kinda different from other throws that I've seen.