PDA

View Full Version : How much does the average wooden dummy weigh?

Stevo
08-14-2003, 12:19 AM
Has anyone here weighed the body of their dummy?

The one I'm currently making is 54" long and weighs just over 95lb. I found it out bush, knocked over by a mini-tornado, and cut it to season over 18 months ago. I doubt it will lose much more weight now, as it's undergone two very hot summers of drying already.

The wood is blackbutt (a eucalypt). It's so dense that it's taken a good half a day's work to drill and chisel out each hole.

yuanfen
08-14-2003, 10:27 AM
I dont know the woods down under. The ecualyptus in Arizona
gets blown down by storms a lot. They crack easily and are not good wood for jongs imo.
I have forgotten what my dummies weigh. Both are heavy- one a teak- made by Koo Sang in HK--- the other maple- custom made for me.

TjD
08-14-2003, 10:37 AM
i believe the trunk of my jong clocked in around 100-150 lbs. it's made of red oak. it's heavier and harder than the teak jong at our kwoon.

IronFist
08-14-2003, 11:39 PM
My (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3622400542&category=16044) PVC body weighs about 35lbs, plus the weight of the limbs. But my stand is awesome so it doesn't move across the floor when I hit it.

IronFist

IronFist
08-14-2003, 11:43 PM
^ Shameless plug

reneritchie
08-15-2003, 07:10 AM
Before or after Atkins??

old jong
08-15-2003, 08:44 AM
My wife would answer "around 220" but that is another story!...;)

Stevo
08-17-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by yuanfen
I dont know the woods down under. The ecualyptus in Arizona
gets blown down by storms a lot. They crack easily and are not good wood for jongs imo.
I have forgotten what my dummies weigh. Both are heavy- one a teak- made by Koo Sang in HK--- the other maple- custom made for me.

Thanks, Yuanfen. There are hundreds of species of eucalypts, with almost as many different charactersitics. Some would be great for dummies and others would be terrible. I don't know what species have been adopted by Arizona.

Stevo
08-17-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
My (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3622400542&category=16044) PVC body weighs about 35lbs, plus the weight of the limbs. But my stand is awesome so it doesn't move across the floor when I hit it.

IronFist

Thanks, Ironfist. I've been using a PVC dummy I made for over a year and don't particularly like it. The stand I made is heavy hardwood and doesn't move either, but I much prefer the feel and weight of heavy wood for the body.

Stevo
08-17-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by old jong
My wife would answer "around 220" but that is another story!...;)

Is that the type of dummy that is a bit wide in the girth? :D

Stevo
08-17-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by TjD
i believe the trunk of my jong clocked in around 100-150 lbs. it's made of red oak. it's heavier and harder than the teak jong at our kwoon.

Around 100-150 pounds? Has your scale been calibrated lately? j/k :D Seriously though, it sounds like a pretty mean dummy.

Mine is only 7.5" diameter. If it was the standard 9" it would probably be up around 150lb too.

Edmund
08-18-2003, 01:06 AM
Stevo,

Blackbutt is a good eucalypt native to Australia often used in construction. Out of curiousity:
How much weight has it lost via drying?
How long had it been lying on the ground before you grabbed it?

Originally posted by Stevo

Thanks, Yuanfen. There are hundreds of species of eucalypts, with almost as many different charactersitics. Some would be great for dummies and others would be terrible. I don't know what species have been adopted by Arizona.

TjD
08-18-2003, 02:10 AM

Around 100-150 pounds? Has your scale been calibrated lately? j/k :D Seriously though, it sounds like a pretty mean dummy.

Mine is only 7.5" diameter. If it was the standard 9" it would probably be up around 150lb too.

well... thats just a rough estimate from lugging it around and setting it up (which was awhile ago). haven't put it on the scale yet :D

mines 9" diameter. it is pretty darn mean but i think thats just because i hit it a lot.

Stevo
08-18-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Edmund
Stevo,

Blackbutt is a good eucalypt native to Australia often used in construction. Out of curiousity:
How much weight has it lost via drying?
How long had it been lying on the ground before you grabbed it?

Hi Edmund,

Yeah, you're right! A coincidence you should say that, because mine is actually one of the blackbutts (Eucalyptus lesouefii).

I don't know how much weight it lost via drying, because I cut it and left it out there to pick up later when I had more room in the 4WD. I didn't get back to pick it up for over a year, and didn't get around to weighing it until the other day when I was chiselling the holes into it, about 20 months after first cutting it.

The storm had gone through about a month before I got there, judging by the brownness of the leaves.

Stevo
08-18-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by TjD

well... thats just a rough estimate from lugging it around and setting it up (which was awhile ago). haven't put it on the scale yet :D

mines 9" diameter. it is pretty darn mean but i think thats just because i hit it a lot.

Yeah, the heavy ones tend to react that way!:)

captain
08-18-2003, 02:51 AM
i think it is high time the wooden dummy underwent a change
in design.
r

Train
08-18-2003, 08:25 AM
Hi everyone!!

Can anyone tell me where i can get a good Mook Jong?? not too expensive though......thanks

[Censored]
08-18-2003, 11:36 AM
i think it is high time the wooden dummy underwent a change
in design.

What do you have in mind?

teazer
08-18-2003, 12:17 PM
It's so dense that it's taken a good half a day's work to drill and chisel out each hole.

Sounds like you need to invest in some power tools!!

Universal Stance
08-18-2003, 12:25 PM
110-120lbs for all wood ones with the rails and arms/leg in; maybe 75-85lbs without them (just the body).

woodendummy.net (http://www.woodendummy.net)

Edmund
08-18-2003, 04:23 PM
It's a shame you didn't weigh it at the start.
By weighing it every couple of months you can see whether it's bottoming out. For thick logs it can take a while.

With it lying on the ground it can sometimes get a bit moist depending on conditions.

I actually wouldn't worry too much... You got these new sealants these days that are going to seal the wood pretty well. If you keep the thing indoors it's not going to crack too easily.

Yeah, you're right! A coincidence you should say that, because mine is actually one of the blackbutts (Eucalyptus lesouefii).

I don't know how much weight it lost via drying, because I cut it and left it out there to pick up later when I had more room in the 4WD. I didn't get back to pick it up for over a year, and didn't get around to weighing it until the other day when I was chiselling the holes into it, about 20 months after first cutting it.

The storm had gone through about a month before I got there, judging by the brownness of the leaves.

Stevo
08-20-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by teazer

Sounds like you need to invest in some power tools!!

Yeah, I reckon. I used an electric drill with a spade bit to drill the holes, but a power chisel would have been nice to square them off with.

Stevo
08-20-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Edmund
It's a shame you didn't weigh it at the start.
By weighing it every couple of months you can see whether it's bottoming out. For thick logs it can take a while.

With it lying on the ground it can sometimes get a bit moist depending on conditions.

I actually wouldn't worry too much... You got these new sealants these days that are going to seal the wood pretty well. If you keep the thing indoors it's not going to crack too easily.

Well, I weighed it with my arms when I lifted it up into my vehicle and I swear it's still as heavy now! ;) Good idea though - I'll weigh it in a few months and see how it's changed. As for moisture, we only had about 2" of rain here last year, so it wouldn't have been a problem! I made a leg out of an old branch and filled the cracks with sawdust taken from it mixed with PVA wood glue. Seems to have worked well, so I might do the same with the body if the cracks open up too much.

Stevo
08-20-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Universal Stance
110-120lbs for all wood ones with the rails and arms/leg in; maybe 75-85lbs without them (just the body).

woodendummy.net (http://www.woodendummy.net)

Thanks for the info, Universal Stance.