PDA

View Full Version : K-1 Battle at the Bellagio - 8man Tournament, Cung Le & Bob Sapp - Friday 8/15 on PPV

truewrestler
08-14-2003, 07:04 AM
http://www.k-1usa.net/docs/news/news.asp?news_id=30622

http://www.k-1usa.net/docs/events/results.asp?event_id=14

Suntzu
08-14-2003, 07:28 AM
who is Cung fighting???

and i'm not hatin' or anything OK... just a lil bit... but can we get someone else to rep San Shou every now and again... I mean... yeah Cung's a bad azz and the females luv him... cool... but other cats need to eat also... get Marvin's big azz up there and i say that with the utmost respect ;-D...... i mean... can we start gassin' up Norman's head s'more... or Pope... let the lil guys get some luv... and $$$...

OK... glad i got that off my chest...

ShaolinTiger00
08-14-2003, 07:30 AM
who is Cung fighting???

A Canadian tomato can.

old jong
08-14-2003, 08:24 AM
The canadian tomato can's name is Phil phetit.

You gain nothing by being stupid ST00.

Suntzu
08-14-2003, 08:53 AM
i don't think Cung running thru the opposition is good for the sport... good for him yes... San Shou... no... there was a RUMOR that he ducked Pete Spratt... that would be a good fight...

OJ... stop being so sensitive :D

truewrestler
08-14-2003, 09:12 AM
Cung Le versus Pete Spratt would be sweet!

Where did you hear about this? Thanks

Suntzu
08-14-2003, 09:23 AM
the UG right after Pratt's UFC win... and when they announced Cung to fight in the last K-1(not TOO sure about the last part tho)...

WanderingMonk
08-14-2003, 10:38 AM
Is Cung Le and Bob Sapp part of the 8 man tournament?

wm

Suntzu
08-14-2003, 10:44 AM
superfights...

norther practitioner
08-14-2003, 11:32 AM
Bob Sapp was just on ESPN radio... On the Dan Patrick Show... good interview. I'm trying to find somewhere showing the fight.

truewrestler
08-14-2003, 07:26 PM
to the top

truewrestler
08-15-2003, 06:44 AM
ttt

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 07:00 AM
Methinks Ill have to leave to the river late... forgot there was quality programming on tonight.
:)

Stranger
08-15-2003, 10:16 PM
what a waste of money :(

PHILBERT
08-15-2003, 11:01 PM
Who the hell is this Bob Sapp guy? I hear of him alot but none of the articles explain why he is so popular.

Stranger
08-16-2003, 07:38 AM
Sapp is a former football player turned K-1 fighter. He is fukkin huge, but other than that there isn't much else positive to say when it comes to the analysis of his fighting skills.

Chang Style Novice
08-16-2003, 07:50 AM
I've wondered about that. From the clips I've seen he's obviously got plenty of strength and a decent amount of speed but not much technique. Is he pretty much resigned to playing a popular "heel" that loses a lot to more skilled smaller guys or is he taking lessons to become a real threat when he gets some reliable moves?

Stranger
08-16-2003, 08:01 AM
From what I gather he isn't losing often if at all, although he does take a beating in some fights (Hoost, Kimo, etc.) He claimed to be learning how to kick, but he didn't look very good at it. He fights like a Toughman contestant. Basically he uses his weight to shove the other guys around while flailing his arms like a madman. He seemed like a nice guy in the prefight but he fights like a mugger. He acted like an arse towards Tyson after the fight, while Tyson was uncharacteristically well mannered.

Chang Style Novice
08-16-2003, 08:11 AM
Well, I just looked up his record, and it said he was 3-1 (the loss was to Noguiera) but didn't mention fights with Kimo or Hoost, so it's obviouly incomplete. I don't follow the sport very closely, as you can tell.

old jong
08-16-2003, 08:22 AM
I'm sure that he will be the next WWE sensation!...;)

Stranger
08-16-2003, 08:23 AM
I don't follow it closely either, this was my first K-1, but they did a little mini-documentary on him in the beginning of the show because he is apparently very popular in Japan.

I won't be buying K-1 on PPV again.

LEGEND
08-16-2003, 01:57 PM
The Japanese love foreigners. Bob Sapp appeal is he's a genetic freak...no he's not skilled...but he has size. Apparently K-1 is going thru a different direction by having a WWF appeal now.

ddh
08-16-2003, 04:22 PM
is popular in Japan at the moment because he's big and brutal looking. It's a thing the Japanese have for foreign fighters. Big and brutal will get you lots of play.
Sapp is making commercials and that means big money in Japan.
As for his fighting ability, well, he's a brawler.

SifuAbel
08-16-2003, 04:54 PM
Funny, I just came back from vegas today. Spent a few days of quality time with the Mrs.

I was at the bellagio(the buffet) and it(the fight) wasn't even greatly advertised. I didn't even know about it until now looking at KFM. Buffet was good though. :D

It just shows what a small world we MAists live in.

FatherDog
08-16-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Well, I just looked up his record, and it said he was 3-1 (the loss was to Noguiera) but didn't mention fights with Kimo or Hoost, so it's obviouly incomplete. I don't follow the sport very closely, as you can tell.

His record in MMA is 3-1; his losses to Hoost (and win over Hoost, for that matter) were in K-1.

Sapp is not as bad as people like to say, actually. Nogueira said in interviews after the fight that several times Sapp avoided triangle attempts, not through strength, but through skill, and said that he was obviously training hard at defending submissions. Sapp is new to the fight game and definitely very green (and making up for his lack of experience with tremendous strength and conditioning) but he has consistently improved on a fight-to-fight basis. I think it's a mistake to dismiss him as a lucky brawler.

'MegaPoint
08-17-2003, 05:21 PM
He is an ex-NFL cat. 'Nuff said. He was a lineman. 'Nuff said. Pride and the Japanese are a bunch of sell-outs. What's new with super athetes being able to take care of themselves? If I could bench 500+ pounds I could kick everyones arse. Rickson was the only true MA guy to ever be in Pride. The rest were beat up dummies and WWE wannabes. Sport Billy attacks again!!!

MMAs is a fallacy. Real MAs are already well-rounded with a good mixture of fighting and other skills. Get with it, now...

Chang Style Novice
08-17-2003, 07:57 PM
Why does how he gets the job done important? I don't see why it would be. Even if I was very skilled (and I'm not) I'd never get in the ring with him unless I was in the proper weight class (and I'm not.)

Black Jack
08-17-2003, 08:09 PM
I agree with Chang. How he gets the job done is not important to me.

Be it confidence bestowed by excellent attributes or straight martial experiance.

Stranger
08-17-2003, 08:43 PM
It's just kind of lame to see somebody that much bigger than the competition get occasionally pummeled. Kimo (not a standout in MMA or kickboxing) owned him until there was over a minute mercy timeout by the officials. WTF is that! When did they start having timeouts when a fighter is in danger? Standing eight, yes. A standing ninety is just plain lame. I don't care how he gets it done as long as he can without the doc rescuing him. Kimo was p1ssed, and rightfully so. Sapps little post fight temper tantrum followed by his bs speach about his warrior heart only made him look lame. Warrior heart, nothing; it was the doc that won that fight for him.

BJ,

I'll get back to you on that PM sometime later tomorrow. By the way, I got a thread on the street/reality forum that you might be able to help me with.

Losttrak
08-18-2003, 06:15 AM
So did any of you hats who contributed to this post even watch it? Where's the update? Commentary? Jeesh....

Shaolin-Do
08-18-2003, 06:42 AM
Cmon... None of you watch football?

Bob Sapp is Warren Sapp's little brother, Warren sapp is a bad mofo that plays for the bucaneers.

brothernumber9
08-18-2003, 07:03 AM
totally agree with stranger, They were trading and Sapp gassed out at the end of the round. When the ref called for the fighters to start the next round, Sapp did not come out so naturally Kimo raised his hands in victory. It was garbage, the ring doctor in Sapp's corner was saying he needed more time to assess Sapp's condition since he looked like he was staring into space and not responding when asked if he wanted to continue. Maurice Smith was saying yes and trying to get Sapp out of the corner. All this time gave Sapp the breather he needed. I believe he was about to be finished. Kimo tried his own little ploy ( a clever one ) where he threw his mouth piece out forcing the ref to call time to have it put back in and then the corner fumbled about buying a few more seconds. It's impossible to say that Kimo would have won for sure, but the likelyhood was there. Cung Le's fight was like watching pro wrestling, the whole fight he just kept slamming the other guy on his head, his ability to throw and slam opponents is impressive.

MasterKiller
08-18-2003, 08:04 AM
Bob Sapp is Warren Sapp's little brother, Warren sapp is a bad mofo that plays for the bucaneers. No he's not.

http://www.tampatrib.com/Sports/MGAF8U32SID.html

Shaolin-Do
08-18-2003, 08:08 AM
lofl...
Even caught somethin on ESPN on that the other night...
hehehe

'MegaPoint
08-18-2003, 08:10 AM
Bob Sapp was a former lineman with the Vikings (Minnesota).

What attributes are you speaking of? His hamburger eating ability or the radiation effected genetics? Get real.

He is nothing but a jorneyman/beginner in the MAs. He is not a real warrior just a glorified pit bull. Quit supporting rubbish and filth. It will destory MAs as we know and love it!

PAX

Shaolin-Do
08-18-2003, 08:14 AM
Who said K1 had anything to do with skill or technique?
:rolleyes:

Its all about who can take a hit and hit harder, go the length without gettin gassed... Not about who has any sort of training or technique.

Its still fun to watch tho. After all, it is made for entertainment.
Are there any fight clips out there? Really wanted to check out Cung Le's fight...

Chang Style Novice
08-18-2003, 10:13 AM
Being big and strong is an important asset in fighting. Bob Sapp has worked very hard much of his life to be big and strong. He has used his size and strength to fight professionally with some success. 'Megapoint fails to understand this kind of simple basic stuff, and I don't see what could possibly be his problem with this equation.

Kungfu=excellence that comes from effort, right? Sounds like he's got some kungfu to me.

Shaolin-Do
08-18-2003, 10:56 AM
Maybe not in MA, but the man does have kung fu, yes. Otherwise he couldnt smash down peoples blocks to knock them out like he does.
Some people knock on the door, others just wait for it to open. Bob Sapp smashes it down and spits on people.
:D

Mr Punch
08-19-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by 'MegaPoint
Pride and the Japanese are a bunch of sell-outs. Why?
Rickson was the only true MA guy to ever be in Pride. The rest were beat up dummies and WWE wannabes. Crap.

On Bob Sapp, I agree his weight and conditioning are part kung fu... but regardless of his improving fighting skills, he's becoming more and more of an arse... He's all over everywhere over here, including, get this, his own shop off Omotesando (one of the most famous shopping districts in Asia), and he used to seem like a nice guy, putting on a front for the cameras and playing it up... now it seems that the front has taken over.

Frankly, I think the Kimo/Sapp pre-fight wind-up routines just looked like a lame, fake WWE-style show and made them both look stupid. They should just get on with it and do their jobs of beating each other up in the ring for our entertainment.

FatherDog
08-19-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by 'MegaPoint
He is nothing but a jorneyman/beginner in the MAs. He is not a real warrior just a glorified pit bull. Quit supporting rubbish and filth. It will destory MAs as we know and love it!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

red5angel
08-19-2003, 09:41 AM
LOL! Some of you guys crack me up crap like this:

What the hell does that mean?! The guy wins in a fight but if it isn't pretty or you can't point out a technique he isn't a good fighter?! Call me crazy but I learn the martial arts to win, in fighting and in sport. Just because a guy is big and mean enuogh to not need to train as hard as your skinny little asses, this makes him not a "real" martial artist?:rolleyes: you must be studying wingchun....

Mr Punch
08-19-2003, 09:59 AM
LOL

Skinny assed or not, I'd beat him down... jus' chain punch him till he was reeling from the power, and make it look good!:D

Kristoffer
08-19-2003, 11:22 AM
uhm... why was my reply to this thread deleted? :confused: