PDA

View Full Version : What Did You Do In Class Today?

Shuul Vis
08-14-2003, 08:07 AM
Everyone just post what you did in kung fu/ martial arts class today. Start by telling the name of your style and then what you worked on. If you didnt have class today then tell us what you did on your own.

At the moment im studying shuai chiao and shaolin 5 animals. Today we worked on a panther form and its applications/ concepts. Then we did some focus pad combinations.

chen zhen
08-14-2003, 08:14 AM
In my last JKD class, we did some RAT training, with motorcycle helmets on. Also stop-kick training, trapping drills, knife sparring, and Kali/Silat style unarmed "destructions."

Loads of fun, and very practical.

Judge Pen
08-14-2003, 08:20 AM
"Hi, my name is judge pen and I practice Shaolin-do."

Everyone

"Hello judge pen."

:D

Anyway,

Today I worked on Hua To's 5 animal play (Bear and Tiger) and Hsing-I 12 animals. I then did some sparring with my instructor.

Water Dragon
08-14-2003, 08:45 AM
We池e focusing on 3 throws right now. Waist Control Lift (Hip Throw), Shaving, and Inner Leg Hook.

I知 thinking that today we値l start off with some falling, belt cracking, form work, and stance work for those 3 throws. Then we値l get some reps in on the single throws themselves. (I知 thinking 10-20 per side per throw will be good as we don稚 have a mat) Then I want to start working some combo throws. We値l probably do that for 10-20 a side as well. I知 thinking we値l start with shaving to hip throw, hip throw to inner leg hooking, and inner leg hooking to inner shaving.

After that, we値l work on a couple counters, do some live drills, and finish off with free wrestling. It痴 a nice 2 hour workout

rubthebuddha
08-14-2003, 08:49 AM
worked on getting out of guard into mount, some arm bars, then did some randori.

Water Dragon
08-14-2003, 08:58 AM
nice sig!

Dark Knight
08-14-2003, 09:01 AM
Picked up a few moms in the kids class.:D

Sparring in the adults

Ming Yue
08-14-2003, 11:36 AM
kicking drills
forearm conditioning
forms
footwork/evasion drills
falling

This week of training has been brought to you by the letter "F".
:)

Shaolin-Do
08-14-2003, 12:29 PM
Today its only 2:30 and I had the day off. I slept until now. (I know I know, lazy *******, but sleep is cumulative and 2 hrs a night just wasnt cutting it)
Im going to class later... Going to start on new material, and review it over and over and over again. Probably spar. Come home, do Ironfist training, iron legs, forearm conditioning.... Then probably throw the heavy bag some more. Im still kinda hurtin from the last set of 200 2 days ago tho.... Oh well. :) Then finish up with some weights or hanging heavy bag work...
oh yeah, then stances. Always finish the workout with 10-15 minutes of stances.

norther practitioner
08-14-2003, 12:38 PM
I'm having some back problems... I missed a throw with a thicker girl... so I have a strain. I'll prob. be fininishing up a wushuish form for demos... Then teach our beginner broadsword to someone for an hour, then do much on the stretching side. Maybe work on a few chin na into throws if I have time.

Shuul Vis
08-14-2003, 03:07 PM
Well im about to head to class for tonight here in about an hour so ill post what i did when i get back. I think it would be interesting to keep this thread going and posting what you do each day. I bet we would get some really interesting ideas for some other topics from all the info posted here.

CrippledAvenger
08-14-2003, 07:04 PM
We did everything Water Dragon said we would, except he forgot to mention he seasons his classes with an ample dose of suffering.

It's really quite delicious.

themeecer
08-14-2003, 07:16 PM
What timing .. I just walked in from class. Well, we meditated for 45 minutes, standing and sitting, shein tien chi. After bouncing my insides and outsides all over the kwoon we went outside. I then finished teaching a group our double broadsword form. After that I reviewed them on several forms. In between all of this I went through the first road of Hua and Hsing I two man set a few times.

Oh yeah I did iron hand today as well. Wanted to do iron forearm and shin too but didn't have time for it. I'll have to post a picture later of the contraption I put together. I had an 8 foot post I tried securing in the ground three feet deep and I knocked it loose after hitting it a few times. So, I went down to a steel shop and had a bracket welded that I now have secured to my driveway. The post doesn't budge an inch now.

Water Dragon
08-14-2003, 07:46 PM
The Crippled Avenger forgot to mention that he caught me twice in free wrestling with inner leg hooking. Oh yeah, he takes the Iron Broom like a man ;)

SevenStar
08-14-2003, 08:02 PM
shuul, you're biting off my thread , man... I'm gonna dig up the old one.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-14-2003, 08:59 PM
i didnt do anything because my ribs have been killing me for over a month. no aparant reason ... i didnt do anything i can think of ... they just hurt like hell and havent been able to stand for more than 5 minutes until this week. i did get to sit and watch everyone else spar though.

and then on the way home my car died. appears that the altenaror took a sh it.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-14-2003, 09:00 PM
and i cant even have a fu cking beer because i promised my little girl i'd quit drinking for a month.

at least i learned my lesson about promises though. don't make them.

themeecer
08-14-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
and i cant even have a beer because i promised my little girl i'd quit drinking for a month.

at least i learned my lesson about promises though. don't make them.

Hmmmm .... why were you asked to quit? Don't stop making promises, just make sure you keep them when you make them.

Serpent
08-14-2003, 09:09 PM
I got so excited that I kicked my mom in the face.

Laughing Cow
08-14-2003, 09:13 PM
Didn't do anything today.

Weather is way to miserable.

Cold: 18 degrees and heavy rain with winds.
;)

Serpent
08-14-2003, 09:26 PM
Well, to be fair, it's only 2.30 in the afternoon here - haven't been to class yet today.

However, I did get jiggy with Mrs Serpent before work this morning, which was quite a workout. Does that count?

Laughing Cow
08-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
However, I did get jiggy with Mrs Serpent before work this morning, which was quite a workout. Does that count?

Depends on the duration, itensity and how real it got.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-14-2003, 09:33 PM
Hmmmm .... why were you asked to quit? Don't stop making promises, just make sure you keep them when you make them.

i wasn't asked to ... i just noticed that beer was sometimes making my side/ribs hurt 10 times worse within minutes. not after the 4th or 5th of course, but initially. i was worried that there might be something wrong with my liver or gall bladder or something. i knew i should take a big break from the beer and the only way i would is if i promised adora.

not keeping a promise to adora isn't an option. that's why it sucks so much tonight. i could really use a beer.

Serpent
08-14-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Laughing Cow

Depends on the duration, itensity and how real it got.

Well, I was going full speed against a resisting opponent.

joedoe
08-14-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
Well, to be fair, it's only 2.30 in the afternoon here - haven't been to class yet today.

Wow Serp, you and me must so be in synch :D

Serpent
08-14-2003, 10:20 PM
Our cycles are aligned.

And our women are satisfied!

joedoe
08-14-2003, 10:25 PM
Who said anything about my woman being satisfied? :D

How you been anyway? Haven't heard from you for a while.

Serpent
08-14-2003, 10:34 PM
Not too bad, thanks for asking. Been really busy with training and study and so on. Good though - things are moving along nicely.

How are things with you?

(Shuul Vis - shut up! We'll hijack your thread if we want to. ;) )

joedoe
08-14-2003, 10:39 PM
Well, I haven't been training enough and work is insanely busy. Just got back from the US and am fighting off the jetlag. Otherwise life is pretty good :).

We should organise another get together soon.

Serpent
08-14-2003, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I'm up for it. I should have a bit more time in Sept. before I get busy again.

Serpent
08-14-2003, 10:48 PM
By the way, text me if you do sort out a get together as I'm on here very infrequently these days.

joedoe
08-15-2003, 12:32 AM
Will do.

CrippledAvenger
08-15-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
The Crippled Avenger forgot to mention that he caught me twice in free wrestling with inner leg hooking. Oh yeah, he takes the Iron Broom like a man ;)

Well, two throws versus the twenty or so undignified landings in the grass seemed hardly worth mentioning. (And for the record, I'd like to state that those stances still makes my legs weep for mercy.)

The Iron Broom was pretty f_cking sweet, though. You throw ****ed hard for an old man. ;)

Judge Pen
08-15-2003, 06:11 AM
Stances, stances, stances.

Then a form followed by 10 pushups. About 15 forms total so a nice set of 150 pushups.

Ended the class with some sparring drills.

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 06:31 AM
Methinks sparring is tonight.... teeheee.... fills me with joy. :D
2 hours of sparring, then heavy drinking. Possibly.... wait a minute... goin out of town tonight.
Gonna go camp at the river and drink... hmm.... It feels like a rum night. Maybe jack.... just maybe...

Water Dragon
08-15-2003, 06:39 AM
hehe, Now you know what the phrase "Northern Legs" really means. It has nothing to do with kicks ;)

Ming Yue
08-15-2003, 06:49 AM
Last night I assisted at kid's class. Got two new kids who were really adept - went over stances, basic footwork and pivoting, and touched on plum blossom handwork.

working with the midgets means 45 minutes in low stances for me. bonus!

then jumped rope for a while and did some of my forms at home

Shuul Vis
08-15-2003, 10:47 AM
I gave up trying to hold threads together serpent.

Ok last night our teacher wasnt there so we just sparred the whole time and did some awareness drills. It was pretty boring actually, but a decent workout from the extreme heat. This saturday im going to a seminar with the supposed grandmaster of the system, R.A. Greenlee. I cant find anything about him online but that can be a good thing. Ill let everyone know how it goes and what he teaches.

Judge Pen
08-15-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Shuul Vis
This saturday im going to a seminar with the supposed grandmaster of the system, R.A. Greenlee. I cant find anything about him online but that can be a good thing. Ill let everyone know how it goes and what he teaches.

SV I found this website that mentioned Greenlee. It's in Columbus. Do you train there?

http://www.mastermatt.com/shaolintiger.html

Let me know what you think about Greenlee.

Shuul Vis
08-15-2003, 11:38 AM
Yeah judge thats him, and mollica is who im studying with at the moment. Its not the style of my choice but they were decent and very close to my house so i decided to train there for the time being. It keeps me in shape and is teaching me long range fighting which, being a long time wing chun practitioner, im not very familiar with so thats good. Also he is very good at shuai chiao and im happy to learn from someone with the credentials he has in the style, even though its not my first choice. Id rather be learning Hsing Yi or furthering my wing chun but i cant find any good teachers of either around columbus. There are a few id like to check out but havent yet.

Ill let you know how Greenlee turns out.

Judge Pen
08-15-2003, 12:08 PM
I thought it was interesting how they guy had 70 forms and then condensed the moves he liked down to 24 and then in a basic set of 6 or something. Interesting adaptation. Any idea of what the original 70 consisted of?

Ikken Hisatsu
08-16-2003, 12:32 AM
went over some set sparring, got to play dummy for our instructor showing us takedowns (gee that was fun) and threw in a bit of free sparring just for sh*ts and giggles. two hours well spent.
I do kung fu btw