PDA

View Full Version : A moment of silence....

yenhoi
08-14-2003, 11:29 AM
3000 frenchies melted yesterday.

:(

chen zhen
08-14-2003, 11:31 AM
Details? What do u mean?:confused:

dwid
08-14-2003, 11:36 AM
He's referring to the death toll in France from the heatwave. It's 3,000 so far, with about 2,000 in Paris alone.

It's a pretty cold-ass way of putting it though.

yenhoi
08-14-2003, 11:36 AM
They died of heat. Being locked in their apartments. No electricity for AC.

Sounds kinda like IRAQ.

Poor frenchies.

:eek:

norther practitioner
08-14-2003, 11:38 AM
It isn't even THAT hot there...

dwid
08-14-2003, 11:39 AM
They died of heat. Being locked in their apartments. No electricity for AC. Sounds kinda like IRAQ.

Poor frenchies.

There's nothing remotely political about this. When global warming ups the mercury and your fellows start dropping like flies in Nevada, let's hope you have the same nonchalant reaction.

chen zhen
08-14-2003, 11:40 AM
:( yeah. Its especially old people who cant make it. Its very hot there generally, I was there last year. But much worse this year. I put my hat down in condolences.:(

dwid
08-14-2003, 11:41 AM
It isn't even THAT hot there...

Yeah it's weird. The highs have been about 100 F.

It gets hotter than that here in August typically. I guess it's a matter of conditioning.

MonkeyKing
08-14-2003, 11:42 AM
I guess this is where we get the term "French Fries" and "French Toast"

:D

yenhoi
08-14-2003, 11:43 AM
Its always hot in Nevada.

Frenchies just arent made of the right stuff..

they melt here too..

:rolleyes:

chen zhen
08-14-2003, 11:43 AM
:mad:

MasterKiller
08-14-2003, 11:52 AM
It usually tops out at 115° or so here in the July/August.

I was in Boston 4 years ago, and it was 90°, and everyone was swooning from the "heat wave."

Hell, 90° in Oklahoma is a relief.

Leimeng
08-14-2003, 11:54 AM
~ Yes chicken little, the record highs in Western Europe and the Midwest are the direct result of global warming. On the other hand the record LOWS and excess rainfall on the east coast and russia are a direct result of global cooling....
~ The sky is not falling down chicken little. Global warming as portrayed by the eco-nazies and there minions in the mass media and left wing for the most part isa political fallicy.
~ There are cycles in the earths temperature every several hundred years. Around 400 AD the earth was very warm. The ocean levels raised a lot higher than they are now, several coastal cities suffered mass continual flooding for decades. Global warming? No, a natural cycle. During the middle ages the earth experiances a mini ice age. Very cold. Sea levels dropped, once coastal cities were now inland. Global cooling? No, a natural cycle.
~ It is a pity that 3000 people died in France due to hot weather. Why is there no mention of the vast numbers of people that die in the rest of the world weekly due to inclimate weather?
~ Debate amongst yourselves....

Peace,

Sin Loi

Yi Beng, Kan Xue

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-14-2003, 11:59 AM
i learned in grade school that the highest temp for the us was shared by two states at 115 i believe. it was hawaii and alaska.

i also learned that grade school sucks.

Oso
08-14-2003, 12:08 PM
yea, I read somewhere that core samples of glaciers show much higher levels of carbon dioxide in the past...prior to internal combustion engines....and far ting cows. Hey, you gotta figure, animals were much, much bigger long ago...can you imagine the fa rt that one of those multi-ton grass eating dinsaurs could let out???

MasterKiller
08-14-2003, 12:08 PM
i learned in grade school that the highest temp for the us was shared by two states at 115 i believe. it was hawaii and alaska.

i also learned that grade school sucks.
OK, so maybe I meant 107° or so. I'm operating on 2 hours sleep, here.

People in Boston are still pusses.

Shaolin-Do
08-14-2003, 12:12 PM
"Hell, 90° in Oklahoma is a relief."

The high yesterday was 91, couldnt f*ckin believe it. was like hell froze over.

Already explained once tho, blood thickens when in cold climates for a period of time, blood thins when you live in hot wheather. Thick blooded people in excessive heat dont have proper blood flow, have strokes and heart attacks. Ive played volleyball in 110 degree wheather, but Ive lived in texas my whole life.
It is indeed very sad that that many people have died, and even more sad that the majority have died because they were too poor to afford what most of us take for granted as a luxury... (air conditioning)...

norther practitioner
08-14-2003, 12:19 PM
Hell, 90° in Oklahoma is a relief.
It all depends on the humidity too....
90 in Oklahoma is much different than 90 in Boston...

Shaolin-Do
08-14-2003, 12:22 PM
And neither got sh!t on 90 here with 60% humidity regularly... bahahaha! sissified north!
Not really... just different. I wear jeans when its in the 60's.... :D

MasterKiller
08-14-2003, 12:33 PM
It all depends on the humidity too....
90 in Oklahoma is much different than 90 in Boston.....
I didn't have a problem with the humidity, except for the butt-ugly Boston chicks walking around with no bras. I don't know what's in the water up there, but I didn't see a single hot chick.

dwid
08-14-2003, 12:33 PM
There are cycles in the earths temperature every several hundred years. Around 400 AD the earth was very warm. The ocean levels raised a lot higher than they are now, several coastal cities suffered mass continual flooding for decades. Global warming? No, a natural cycle. During the middle ages the earth experiances a mini ice age. Very cold. Sea levels dropped, once coastal cities were now inland. Global cooling? No, a natural cycle.

This is every bit as unproven as the most dramatic global warming theories.

I admit I was using the example to make a point, not starting a discussion on Global Warming.

Believe me when I say I have read more research on both sides of this debate than you can imagine. I spent about six months of my professional life on virtually nothing but this.

My knowledge on the subject would choke out your amateurish postulations in an nhb research match in the first round.

Suntzu
08-14-2003, 12:38 PM
summer in Houston TX SUCKS!!!!!! was soooo haappy to get back to humid azz b-more... but this summer has been kind of mild....

I didn't have a problem with the humidity, except for the butt-ugly Boston chicks walking around with no bras. I don't know what's in the water up there, but I didn't see a single hot chick. d@mn..... that really suck... the he\\ are peopl couped up in apartments in 90 degree weather... that right there id bad kung fu...

norther practitioner
08-14-2003, 12:49 PM
but I didn't see a single hot chick.
When I stayed up in Boston for a few weeks during my caddying days I saw many a hotty.. I just think it depends on the area.

Anyhow, a question for the Europeans here... are Air Conditioners that scarce in Europe that people are dying in 100 degree weather?

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-14-2003, 12:54 PM
OK, so maybe I meant 107° or so. I'm operating on 2 hours sleep, here.

i didnt even realize i was contridicting anyone. i just thought it was neat that hawaii and alaska tie for the hottest day in the us if it's in fact true.

like i said, grade school sucks, so they very well might have been lying to us.

MasterKiller
08-14-2003, 12:59 PM
It does get over 110° here, and I'm pretty sure it hit 114° a couple of July 4ths ago. This summer has been pretty mild, though.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-14-2003, 01:04 PM
ok i looked and looked and i could only find this:

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF13/1322.html

info's at the bottom. it looks like it wasnt the hotest ever for us, just that both states tied for their individual record highs at 100%. hawaii's gernerally not as hot as most people would think from what i have heard. wind and stuff.

rubthebuddha
08-14-2003, 01:12 PM
scary to think that the western side of washington state has gotten hotter than hawaii. i've had the pleasure of working outside at a lumber yard during a couple 100°+ days.

but i'm cold blooded. i don't like it much warmer than 65°. autumn is my friend.

jun_erh
08-14-2003, 01:13 PM
MAsterkiller- The college girls in Boston are the hottest. You must've been in Waltham. Plus, it helps if you're attracted to women in the first place you know?

Suntzu
08-14-2003, 01:17 PM
Anyhow, a question for the Europeans here... are Air Conditioners that scarce in Europe that people are dying in 100 degree weather? don't they have like public fountains that they play in(I saw it on TV)… and like places with a lot of shade… and legal weed… and they are bunched up in tiny lil apartments… hang out in a mall or something… I don't like to use my AC… so I get the he\\ outta my crib with a quickness...

Ming Yue
08-14-2003, 01:27 PM
so I get this image of a bunch of old guys sitting on a big porch somewhere in your kung fu slippers and big ol rockin' chairs, clackin your teeth together and going..

"this isn't hot! why back in Summer of aught six I usta load split logs inta the back of of a runnin tractor wearin a snow suit, musta been about 175 degrees out on a regular basis"....

While Oso jumps around in the yard making jokes about dinosaur fa rts.

:p

MonkeyKing
08-14-2003, 01:43 PM
Geez, all those French in all that heat! Hey do they wear deoderant? And are they still ****ing on the sidewalks and stuff?

Bet it smells great in ol Paris

Robbie
08-14-2003, 01:55 PM
It doesn't get hot enough on a regular basis for people to buy air conditioners. What supplies stores had are sold out and the energy usage is way up compared to a normal summer. For most people it's a luxury if you only need it a week out of the year.

Oso
08-14-2003, 02:03 PM
Believe me when I say I have read more research on both sides of this debate than you can imagine. I spent about six months of my professional life on virtually nothing but this.

My knowledge on the subject would choke out your amateurish postulations in an nhb research match in the first round.

so, illuminate us oh wise one, don't just talk about how much you know about it....I'm curious about what you have learned.

I'm still going with my UDFT (Unified Dinosaur Fa rt Theory)

Laughing Cow
08-14-2003, 02:20 PM
1.) Most of europe has little AC either in offices or in Apartments, most of the time we need central heating more than AC.
Air-conditioning for most is a luxury, school summer holidays are 9 weeks(back home) and most people usually travel quiet a bit during that time.

2.) Yes, we got plenty of public fountains, rivers and so on for taking a dip.

Many are off-limit though due to being cultural and historic heritage.

Malls (what's that??), to be honest not much in big shopping centres, unless you get out of the City or similar.

Seeya.

Leimeng
08-14-2003, 04:14 PM
~ Sarcasm is a lost art it seems....
~ I can get research that backs up almost any point of view that you would want to believe on almost any topic. So we would all love to see compelling research on most anything.
~ The point being made is that many people will state with little comprehension of reality that excess heat in the mid-west or europe is a sure sign of global warming while ignoring record lows at the same time in other parts of the world. History does show cycles of hot and warm. It has to do with the apogee and perigee of the earth in relation to the sun. (Something that the eco-nazies and other moronic hysteriacs ignore on a continual basis, [among other things.])
~ It is a pity that all those find hard working people died though. But it happens all over the world all the time. It is only minor news when 1000's die each year in Bangladesh each year due to floods (though one would think that they would consider moving AWAY from the flood plains they live on when they know the floods come EVERY year). Or the people who freeze to death in Southern Argentina and Chile yearly.
~ Sarcasm is a lost art it seems....
~ Continue to discuss amongst yourselfs......

Peace,

Sin Loi

Yi Beng, Kan Xue

Laughing Cow
08-14-2003, 04:20 PM
Guess the guys in NY are also melting a bit at the moment. :(

From what I hear NY summer without air-con is bad news.

Hope they get their electricity back soon.

dwid
08-15-2003, 08:36 AM
so, illuminate us oh wise one, don't just talk about how much you know about it....I'm curious about what you have learned.

The global warming thing is incredibly complicated.

Leimeng is right in the sense that the planet tends to go through very elongated warming and cooling trends.

He's also right in that it is misleading when people cite any specific record high anywhere in the world as supportive of global warming. When you think about global warming you have to think in terms of global mean temperature. So if intuitively it seems that global warming isn't happening, because it isn't that hot where you live, that's really irrelevant.

Also, you have to consider that we're not talking about a jump of like 20 degrees over night.

A rise of just a few degrees in the annual global mean temperature could have potentially devastating effects.

It is generally agreed upon in the scientific community that we are currently experiencing a warming trend. Whether you believe this is caused by greenhouse gases, dinosaur ****s, or just the whimsies of the earth mother, the trend is happening.

The intergovernmental panel on climate change (really big group of scientists who studied this stuff) determined that it is probable that at least part of this warming trend is the result of greenhouse gases.

There are a lot of reasons why they came to this conclusion. One of these is the fact that although warming trends have happened in the past, they haven't ever come on as rapidly as the current one. Also, the current one just happens to shadow the industrial era.

The CO2 content in the air is currently at levels several times what they have ever been in the past according to current research.

Many scientists have a very cautious approach to the possibility of problems caused by CO2, because the carbon cycle is very slow. If we stopped all CO2 production today, it would be years before the levels in the atmosphere would return to what they were pre-Industrial revolution.

So, it's a unique problem in the sense that by the time we know for sure that CO2 is causing global warming, it will be years before we see any positive results of anything intended to mitigate the problem.

yenhoi
08-15-2003, 08:49 AM
That was a wild ride.

America is superior.

:cool:

dwid
08-15-2003, 09:58 AM
yo momma

yenhoi
08-15-2003, 10:07 AM
That randomness started in OH too.

Hrm.

:eek:

Christopher M
08-15-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Leimeng
But it happens all over the world all the time. It is only minor news when 1000's die each year in Bangladesh each year due to floods...

Or the millions who die every year from malaria (speaking of the silenced consequences of eco-nazi-ism).

Ming Yue
08-15-2003, 01:02 PM
and while we're slinging facts,

20 million people died in the flu pandemic of 1918-1920, more than the number of casualties and MIAs in WWI.

Oso
08-15-2003, 02:58 PM
dwid, ok, thanks. not really anything I hadn't heard before.

here's something on the glacial ice bit

http://www.sdearthtimes.com/et0999/et0999s6.html

yenhoi
08-21-2003, 08:32 AM
Falco said he would not resign over the crisis.
“I come from rugby country,” Falco said. “In the face of adversity, we pull our elbows together, we push, we fight and we work.”

Souljah
08-21-2003, 09:30 AM
It gets hotter than that here in August typically. I guess it's a matter of conditioning.

You're right really - you get the same weather year after year, you environment and buildings were built to cope with the heat.

Here in the UK it barely touches 30 celsius in the summer, so getting temps of 35 can be quite harsh, and it was quite abit higher in France - the buildings here just were't built to stand such immense temps (ventilation-wise).
Fans had sold out in most cities, 100,000 were sold from argos alone in one day - if you didne have one u had better hope you could find some AC or somethin.
Even alot of the cars here aren't equipped with cool AC, only heating.....

So people passing from the heat just isnt surprising, although sad.

TonyM.
08-21-2003, 10:05 AM
Over 5000 now.:(

Laughing Cow
08-21-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by TonyM.
Over 5000 now.:(

They now reckon that Spain has about the same number, even though the official toll is only 50.
:(

Crimson Phoenix
08-21-2003, 02:26 PM
aaahhhhhh months away from the forum and it's always the same...specially the French bashing...I guess some of you are better at that than discussing kung fu, that's why hehehehehehhe

well, it reached 108F in Paris apparently...but you know, heat in Paris has a different texture...it's incredibly dry and heavy...strange but everyone can feel it...my father who's been living in the carribeans for 24 years now still gets fried in sunny Paris, and so does my stepmother (she is a native Panamenean)...you really have to feel it...
Maybe it's because of the pavement, or the old stone buildings radiating...

As for the AC issue, it's not really a matter of economics, it's just that AC is not in our mindset...buses do not have AC, and lots of hotels do not as well (even some high ranked one, eventhough they are starting to get it). We just don't have the AC reflex...and it's also true that we'd truly need it at best like 2 months in the year...

Regarding the odors, well I'm sorry but in august the BO are likely to come in same proportions from the french and the tourists (lots of American friends in Paris during this season) hehehehhehe

Anyway, it's good to be back, even if obviously the general forum is still a load a OT and nonsense :rolleyes:

red5angel
08-21-2003, 03:08 PM
Already explained once tho, blood thickens when in cold climates for a period of time, blood thins when you live in hot wheather. Thick blooded people in excessive heat dont have proper blood flow, have strokes and heart attacks. Ive played volleyball in 110 degree wheather, but Ive lived in texas my whole life.

that's a load of crap. I live in Minnesota where the winters get cold, really cold, and the summers get hot, really hot. I think as the guys from europe have pointed out, they aren't quite as prepared for such extreme conditions. even in our big cities in a heat wave the death toll stays relatively low because of the availability of AC....

Black Jack
08-21-2003, 05:53 PM
Do not need a AC reflex..........:rolleyes:

I wonder if the 5000 dead frogs would disagree with you if they could?

Mr Punch
08-21-2003, 06:16 PM
Crimson! Nice to have you back man!

BJ: three words; **** air conditioning!

Two more words: natural selection.

Every summer in the UK the mortuaries stack up, two or more to a drawer, always have always will. Nowadays the old folk are living longer, using more AC, raising the global temp, and frying harder... c'est la vie, c'est la guerre, c'est la meme chose. The weak are here to test the strong! :D

If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger...

...:rolleyes: or it ****s you up for the rest of your miserable stinking life...! ;)

Mat, reporting at 36 degs, 85% humidity in the dioxin capital of the world, after a rigourous workout and training session with no air-con and lots of water.

Souljah
08-22-2003, 02:56 AM
I actually wouldnt be surprised if this data was published just to embarrass France - Similar numbers have been recorded around the world (but not broadcasted funnily enough).....

yenhoi
08-22-2003, 09:32 AM
After the last couple hundred years, how could you possibly embarass the french anymore?

Crimson Phoenix
08-22-2003, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the nice words Mat, it's somehow good to be back :-)

Most of the people who died were old and weak people, alone in their houses...
Dehydratation strikes very fast and without warning under these conditions.

Black Jack, when I mentionned the AC reflex you misread the rest of my sentence. I was implying we would need AC for less than 2 months (useless the rest of the year), not the "AC reflex". It's just not part of our culture, like it's not part of your culture to walk or receive objective news from your TV network (sorry, cheap shot but I couldn't resist LOL)...I know of lots of people who didn't take AC in their car even when they were offered it as an option for 1$ more...call it silly if you want, it's just a society trait...

Yenhoi, well, at least we have been around for more than a couple of hundred years...USA are young, they are in their golden age...but every civilization that has been on top eventually fell down...don't worry, when the USA drops in the pecking order, we, your old french friends, will be there to cheer you up and share a little bit of that past-power bitterness ;-)