PDA

View Full Version : JKD savvy?

CaptinPickAxe
08-14-2003, 03:58 PM
does anyone know the wrap on Gary Dill? he's a JKD instructor, headmaster, or something of the sort. I'd like to know his story before I decide on a school, and no one in the JKD forum will post a reply.

Stranger
08-14-2003, 04:03 PM
They probably didn't respond on the JKD forum because this was posted just recently:

"I found this on a JKD site! I don't want to start any trouble but this is what Simo Inosanto has to say and Mike Krivka about a few of the so called instructors of JKD!

Backlash - Part 1

Written by Mike Krivka
NOTE: The response from last months publication of Paula Inosanto's letter was better than I could have expected. In this months newsletter I will share with you the information I gathered concerning Gary Dill, with Lamar Davis and Dr. Jerry Beasley being covered in coming issues ...

http://www.martialartskoncepts.com/...ge/garydill.htm

Professor Gary Dill
Mr. Dill was the first person to contact me concerning Paula's letter. After a lengthy phone conversation Mr. Dill invited me to attend a seminar he was giving in Northern Virginia the following weekend.
At the seminar Mr. Dill produced a packet of documents that he considered to be indisputable proof that he was a "real JKD man". This packet included a personal letter from James Lee, several certificates from various martial arts organizations (recognizing him as a Grandmaster in Bushido Kempo/SDS-JKD) and letters from the now disbanded JKD Society.

Sifu James' Lee's letter (which is the cornerstone of Mr. Dill's "credentials") does in fact authorize Mr. Dill to train in what he was exposed to during his short time under his (James Lee's) direction; but it also explicitly states, not once, not twice, but three times, that he is to not, under any circumstances, teach or claim to teach JKD. This was stated in such a way as to not be confused or misinterpreted by Mr. Dill or anyone else who read the letter. Obviously it was...

Mr. Dill is using an abbreviated version of the letter, which includes only Sifu Lee's reference to training with a small group of friends, and not the admonitions against teaching JKD. Mr. Dill's version of the letter could lead one to believe that he was given permission to teach; but in no uncertain terms Sifu James Lee it was okay as long as he was "just working out with a select few to keep your skills in JKD and Wing Chun - for your own benefit - not to try to pass yourself off as an instructor in our style of no style".

It appears that Mr. Dill is exactly what he warns people about in his own literature - that he is one of the many "rip-off artists out there claiming to be teaching JKD but wouldn't know JKD if it was in front of them. Many of them have no authentic lineage, no real training ... Let the buyer beware"!

Thanks for the warning ..."

CaptinPickAxe
08-14-2003, 04:07 PM
Thanx, stranger. You saved me a grip of cash.

Stranger
08-14-2003, 04:15 PM
No problem, but I don't know anything about it personally. I just did a search and then cut and pasted what I found.

CaptinPickAxe
08-14-2003, 04:31 PM
hmmm...... I must do more research....or not. I've been skeptical of JKD, anyhow. I see it as a good supplement to fighting, but not effective as a core MA. I'll just stick to good ol' mexican stick fighting.:D

rogue
08-14-2003, 07:17 PM
Lot of very good guys under the JKD banner, but a whole lot of guys doing their own thing and just calling it JKD. Guys here that you may want to get in touch with are Ryu, Demi Barbito and Lamar Davis. I know that if you're interested in "traditional" JKD Lamar is the goto guy here, Demi seems to be into almost a combatives type thing and Ryu is into self defense. All three are friendly and usually answer serious inquires.

CaptinPickAxe
08-14-2003, 07:22 PM
I've heard of Lamar Davis, he's based in Cali correct?

rogue
08-14-2003, 07:41 PM
Here's a link with Lamars contact info. (http://www.kungfuonline.com/jkd/academy/sifu_davis.php)

and Demi's (www.demibarbito.com)