PDA

View Full Version : Grabbing, grappling and eagle claw.

rogue
08-14-2003, 07:30 PM
This weekend I was fortunate to work out with a guy who fought in a way that I've seen very rarely. This guy was one of the best inside fighters that I've ever seen. The thing that was very interesting was his use of grabbing areas that were either very sensitive or pressure points. I know he trained in a form of kung fu but I don't know if it was eagle claw or not.

My question is do any grapplers here use anything like those techniques?

Black Jack
08-14-2003, 08:02 PM
Are you talking about the 3 finger trachea style chokes?

That is one of my favorite frontal throat chokes. I learned it back around 91 when I was undertaking chi dao ch'uan gung fu and it was called the eagle talon as it was a part of the eagle sub-set of skills.

It can be applied as a crush as well as a choke by slamming the clenched palm area of the grab into the windpipe instead of just trying to seize in an effort to create quick trauma. Hooking or compound locking up the attackers head, shoulder, back or hip is important for max control and once struck, grab, twist, close and jerk. I was told to use the mental image of crushing a coke can as a guide.

Once secure it is also a excellent head control in the aspect of ballisticaly forcing the attackers head backso you can open up a unobstructed line to target.

There is also the 2 finger verison which instead of attacking the throat in an effort to shut off air it goes up and into the glands which is very painfull to say the least.

I love that move.

rogue
08-14-2003, 08:13 PM
He never trached anyone but I'm sure it's in his kit. We'd just go after him and anywhere he could grab you arms, legs, torso, he made it count and had us jumping, twisting and just about anything else you could think of. I do know he used several ways of grabbing.

Black Jack
08-14-2003, 08:19 PM
You mean pinching. Like grabbing and twist the soft flesh under the triceps, kindeys, inner thigh, neck, stuff like that.

My arnis teacher calls it strumming. I also know that bando has a whole system-scorpion-that works on nerve pinching.

rogue
08-14-2003, 08:33 PM
There was the pinching, which is also in CDT BJ :p, but also grabbing muscles and driving fingers into pressure points. I've used some of these as distractions but he did them at a much higher level. Once he got you that was it. I've always been skeptical about the entire pinching and pressure point thing but I'm changing my mind. Seems many of the guys I meet who do combatives are traditional and use these kind of techniques. Seems like they would also work very well for the BJJ guys and I wonder if they use anything like them.

joedoe
08-14-2003, 08:33 PM
I understand monkey also uses pinching and grabbing techniques.

Jook Lum
08-14-2003, 09:06 PM
Hello rogue!It sounds very much like eagle claw techniques.Do you know how long this person studied?If it was northern or southern style?If you talk to him again try to find out a little more information.Eagle claw stylists are very good at grappling,chin na and claw techniques.:)