PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Kick - Video of KO kick from recent Pride show

truewrestler
08-14-2003, 08:31 PM
This is a clip of the pay-per-view's replays of the KO:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ozjohnson/igor_ko.wmv

Oso
08-15-2003, 03:27 AM
wouldn't that be more of a thai style round kick?

beautiful timing and obviously good connection...I liked the way the guys hair shook in one of the angles. that musta huuurt.

Ford Prefect
08-15-2003, 04:48 AM
By kung fu he means "mods, don't move this".

truewrestler
08-15-2003, 06:52 AM
ttt

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 06:56 AM
Just curious but....

We train round house kicks to kick with the ball of the foot instead of the top of the foot.... Learned to kick with the top in TKD tho... :)

MasterKiller
08-15-2003, 07:09 AM
Chinese styles use the top of the foot.

Oso
08-15-2003, 07:21 AM
Chinese styles use the top of the foot.

what? every style of ma that I've ever come in contact with has used top of foot and ball of foot and toes pointed(rarely) depending on the target. power generation and mechanics have been slightly different from style to style which is what my first comment was about. The fighter in the clip fired the kick w/o any chambering to speak of which I see most often in thai. It's a fine kick and he obviously uses it to good effect.

and I did realise his addition of 'kung fu' to the title was just for the mods, just seemed like a good point to have fun with:D

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 07:33 AM
We kick with the ball of the foot, toes pointed back at you basically... Kicking the head in this manner is far more devastating IMO..... Can kick a little faster with the top of the foot however.... Just like I learned in good ol TKD.... :)

MasterKiller
08-15-2003, 07:40 AM
We kick with the ball of the foot, toes pointed back at you basically... Does wearing shoes impede your ability to perform a kick like this or lessen the effect?

Judge Pen
08-15-2003, 08:07 AM
Wearing shoes does impede your ability to turn your toes back when you throw a round or front kick and most CMA wear shoes when training so Masterkiller is correct; however, you will generate more impact by turning back your toes and focusing on the ball of your foot if barefooted like the guy in the video. Plus its safer on the toes and on the top of the foot which offers little protection.

I have learned to kick both ways. I'v studied generic American Karate (watered down TKD in my opinion), Aikido, SD, and 5 animal kung fu, and I've worked out with teachers of various other styles. I think the top of the foot is faster and provides more reach, but the ball of the foot offers more power over a smaller surface area.

Oso
08-15-2003, 08:19 AM
oh, goody, an opportunity to make one of those comments about 'the correct', except they are kinda silly imo

anyway....JP, your comments are very correct.

I'm a fan of 'skater' shoes. they are very flexible and by nature of their intended us, stick when you want them to and slip when you want them to. So, just a few weeks of wearing them and I've never had a problem turning the toes back to hit what I wanted to w/ the ball of my foot.

Doc's would be hard to do this in but you wouldn't need to.

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 08:33 AM
Was doing some work, but yes, skater shoes are great for fitting the foot well. Adidas Samba and Puma Roma are like leather socks with rubber bottoms. Great @ss kickin wear. Hug the feet well enough to pull the toes back, and even if they dont, you hit them with the point of the shoe. Shoe provides enough support usually to not affect the toe inside the shoe, especially if youre wearing shell tops. (more "skater" shoes)
:)

Judge Pen
08-15-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Oso
oh, goody, an opportunity to make one of those comments about 'the correct', except they are kinda silly imo

anyway....JP, your comments are very correct.

Oso, I live my life for some validation on an internet forum. ;)

fa_jing
08-15-2003, 10:37 AM
This, to me was one of the Muy Thai variations of the round kick. Looked very similar to the trajectory of the kicks I saw Alex Gong practicing in a recent special. Not at all sloppy. Much better camera angles this time. Contact was made at the intersection of the top of the foot, the instep, and the inside of the foot.

Judge Pen
08-15-2003, 10:46 AM
I have been taught both variations of this round kick. My hip flexibility isn't outstanding so I can perform these types of kicks easier than a chamberd roundhouse kick. I've been told that they are faster, but you sacrifice some power. That didn't seem to be a problem in that clip!

Oso
08-15-2003, 12:29 PM
JP, I know. You were sounding a little needy, just wanted to help out. ;)