PDA

View Full Version : United Studios

CrossPattern
08-15-2003, 10:12 AM
Can someone give me some perspective on these schools? I was just given a lecture on the history of kung fu by one of their students at a diner. If you ever go to their website, they mention their founder getting some title or other from one of the shaolin monks. I was told that "Shaolin Monks" were just monks, while there are three nearby wushu schools sanctioned to be the "Shaolin" martial arts schools.(another subject, another topic)

Are these guys for real? Anyone have any experience?

MasterKiller
08-15-2003, 10:21 AM
I don't know about you, but I always enjoy getting history lessons about Chinese Kung Fu from karate students, especially from karate students who claim they're doing kung fu.

CrossPattern
08-18-2003, 05:49 AM
It's not one of the better highlights of my life, that's for sure. The guy seemed nice enough, but he had some strange ideas.

Brad
08-18-2003, 06:20 AM
Is this the guy that that said he was ambasador from Shaolin or something? I think it's been discussed on the Shaolin forum before. Might want to do a search.

CrossPattern
08-18-2003, 06:28 AM
Nope, he didn't say he was an ambassador from Shaolin. He just started at United Studios. However, he did say something about monks visiting his school to do some sort of seminar or something. He also mentioned that the traveling monk show is coming to town.

Brad
08-18-2003, 07:08 AM
I meant the head of USSD not the guy you talked to :)

Dark Knight
08-18-2003, 10:15 AM
Steve demasco and Charlie Mattera actually make trips to China every year. They come from Fred Villaris Studio Of Self Defense, they broke off over 10 years ago.

The base style is not Shaolin, it is Karate, even Steve and Charlie say they dont know where Villari got the Shaolin idea, or where it is in the origional Villari system. (BTW they say they are from Cerio, but htye are Villari people)

Steve has certification from a temple in China the info can be found on his website http://www.ussd.com/

From what i understand, they do not teach the Students indepth SKF until after Black belt.

Ray Pina
08-18-2003, 11:11 AM
Personally, I'm tired of hearing and reading about Shaolin in the U.S. If it's like Gene said at the temple, guys banging around for 8 hours a day, that is awesome and they are going to put out some great fighters.

But so far, all I see here in the states, are x-box heads who swing fake swords, hold horse stances for extended periods of time and disapear from tournaments as soon as they finished their forms ... and those are the sifus.

Where's the martial skill?

rubthebuddha
08-18-2003, 01:36 PM
EF -- the martial skill can be found on the xbox.

now, does anyone else see something wrong in this quote:
... they do not teach the Students indepth SKF until after Black belt. :rolleyes:

MasterKiller
08-18-2003, 01:52 PM
I'm sure his Kempo instruction is superb, but considering DeMasco is just now learning Shaolin kung fu with Shi Goulin, I'd be interested in seeing the in-depth knowledge he currently passes on to his senior students.