PDA

View Full Version : Squat observation, and question

IronFist
08-15-2003, 02:31 PM
Even though I'm weak, I still try to use perfect form. So, when I squat I go all the way down.

Last night I noticed that instead of going all the way down (below parallel) like how I normally do it, if I stop at parallel and then go back up the squat was much harder. I was like, "what the hell?" Why would that be? Is it because when I go down all the way I'm using the bottom position as a cusion or something? Or have I been doing the squat equivalent of bouncing the bar off your chest when you bench?

Maybe that's why after 4 years of squatting I'm still weak, and after a few months of not going to the gym I'm back at the same strength level I was at before I started lifting (yeah, that's 4 years of gains gone in a few months). Maybe I should be putting that little pause in at the bottom or something.

Anyone know why less ROM = harder squat? And which way should I do it? I like squatting all the way down because it keeps me flexible in that movement, as well as works the muscles through a longer ROM. Also, I can feel superior to people who use tons of weight but only go down to 45 degrees. But if it's hindering my development I'm going to quit doing it.

IronFist

abobo
08-15-2003, 04:36 PM
I get below parallel but a couple inches short of hamstrings touching calves, so I asked around on Dr. Squat and they assured me that full squats are the best way to go.

rubthebuddha
08-17-2003, 02:14 AM
it's all about braking (not breaking).

when you go all the way down, you can use your ass for a cushion to stop. when you stop before then, you use your quads and glutes. at least that's how it is for me.

Samurai Jack
08-17-2003, 12:27 PM
I second rubthebuddha on that one. Iron, in spite of the fact that I advocate SCT as an occassional break from traditonal lifting, I mostly use full range exercises as well. Most powerlifters I know of use different lifting techniques to train this lift, including partials such as 1/4 and 3/4 squats. I'm guessing that your weakness lies in the middle or top of your range due to that "braking" effect rub mentioned. Maybe if you mixed up the range of motion you could bust through that plateau.

Here's a crazy idea, but one which I might just try myself. Are you familiar with the biceps exercise called 21's? Why not do your squating routine like that for a month? Not only will you be performing a huge set which should stimulate alot of muscle fiber, but you'll also be strengthening any weak chains in your range of motion.

IronFist
08-17-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Samurai Jack
Here's a crazy idea, but one which I might just try myself. Are you familiar with the biceps exercise called 21's? Why not do your squating routine like that for a month? Not only will you be performing a huge set which should stimulate alot of muscle fiber, but you'll also be strengthening any weak chains in your range of motion.

Wow, that would be a tough workout!!!! I tried doing 20 rep squats once but I had to quit after 3 days cuz it gave me HUGE headaches that I couldn't bear. 21's for squats would be crazy, I might have to try that :)

But traditional 21's (I think) are top half, full range, bottom half. It would be weird to finish with just the bottom half in squats. In biceps curls, the easiest part is the first half, which is why you finish with that. In a squat, the easiest part is the top half, so I would imagine you would have to invert the design for squats. Bottom half, full range, top half.

I dunno. Might be something to try :)

IronFist

fa_jing
08-17-2003, 09:42 PM
I hear that you should have the bar riding lower on your shoulders if you only go down to parallel, because you are extending out more with your back.

Ford Prefect
08-18-2003, 07:25 AM
Could be the bounce, but it could also be that going that low allows you to bounce off your calves. Obviously the bigger you are, the less ROM you need to bounce off your calves which is why the all open class oly weightlifters and powerlifters pack on all that pudge. ;)