PDA

View Full Version : switching arts

apeters28
08-15-2003, 08:58 PM
Hey guys,

I am currently a black sash in Li Gar Kung Fu, but recently I have noticed my instructor has become incredibly lax with the students training, and his prices are so high that only attracts people who are generally older, and have very little interest in the actual self-defense aspect of the martial arts. My instructor will go in back during group classes, and expect me to show different techniques and what not, but I don't feel I'm improving at all. Well I am moving an hour away, and I am thinking about starting kickboxing and BJJ because they have it where I"m going to live. My instructor is a very good friend of mine, but I can't bring up to him the problems I'm having with taking lessons from him. Plus, I know this kickboxing instructor is good, and the BJJ instructor was trained and certified under Militech. Would I be losing out on a whole lot by switching arts? Kung fu is the only MA I've taken so it kinda has an aspect of mysticsm that kickboxing doesn't seem to have, but I feel like I would get more hands on training with this other instructor. Plus, my instructor is raising his prices, and I don't really want to pay for something I don't feel that I'm getting. Do you guys think I can still be a very effective martial artist with these other arts instead? And I don't know how to deal with my instructor now telling him that I want to move on. Any advice, or experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

THanks,

Andrew

Ikken Hisatsu
08-15-2003, 09:28 PM
just be honest with him. tell him you feel that you are no longer learning anything. but as for the other martial arts, you should not feel obligated to stay with one just because its what you have always done. learning different styles is a good thing, it makes you more flexible and unpredictable against an opponent.

neit
08-16-2003, 02:29 AM
kung fu instructors are very hard to be honest with(in my experience). i find they don't like to listen and just tell you what the style has to say on every subject.

Christopher M
08-16-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by apeters28
Would I be losing out on a whole lot by switching arts?

Yes. And you're also losing out on a whole lot by not switching arts.

Do you guys think I can still be a very effective martial artist with these other arts instead?

Unquestionably - yes.

And I don't know how to deal with my instructor now telling him that I want to move on.

A trait of both a good instructor and a good friend would be to understand your personal goals and desires, especially if broached in a respectfull manner.

If your relationship isn't such that you feel like discussing your feelings with him, simply excuse yourself politely and with gratitude from the classes, and then start up at the new school.

David Jamieson
08-16-2003, 08:31 PM
You are experiencing the "law of diminishing returns".

Now it's time to practice and really learn the art you have been taught. If you move on to something else now, you might miss out on your chance to really learn your art.

Nothing wrong with checking your art against something else through exchange though. If you get seriously trashed in a friendly exchange, then it's time to move on. But if your art works and you feel you can even make yourself better at it, then stick with it.

cheers