PDA

View Full Version : What is your workout for mantis?

Youngmantis
08-17-2003, 01:39 AM
Hi all i was just wondering what is your workout for praying mantis, which style and what kind or how many, punches and kicks you do to practice praying mantis. I'm fairly new to martial arts and message boards and really new to kung fu, particulary praying mantis. So please if any of you have the time to answer.

WanderingMonk
08-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Hi YM

Here's two links for PM strength training threads. That should give you some idea about PM strength training method and equipments.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21010&highlight=strength+training
http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23159&highlight=strength+training

This is a link on instructor test post. Good for general info on the type of conditioning you might want to shoot for.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19596&highlight=instructor+test

BTW, I reply to your thread on wrestling vs kung fu in the main forum. I didn't know how new you were to the MA game until I saw your thread in the training forum. So, don't take my reply personally.

good luck with your training and enjoy.

wm

Youngmantis
08-17-2003, 10:36 PM
thanks so much those links help me alot

bung bo
08-25-2003, 01:03 PM
Young mantis--i asked this a while ago and used some of the info and pieced a workout together. i've read for grip strenth to use one of those grip strengtheners that are for the induvidual digits. i've seen them at wal-mart and sport seasons. there are also good two person exercises you can do. these are fun. lots of different kinds of crunches and pushups. some hard chikung. i don't like to go really heavy on the weights but moderately heavy.ust remember to stretch good. and, of course, gong fu. keep up your gong fu training to keep your strength functional.

Shaolin-Do
08-25-2003, 02:01 PM
I just bought a "dynaflex" from academy, its wonderful for strengthening grip. Its a grip trainer that uses gyroscopic forces... its pretty cool actually... :)

http://www.dynaflex-intl.com

Wrist push ups are great too...

Hope that helps,
SD

Frogman
08-27-2003, 01:02 PM
We did a hundred push ups and then the same number sit ups last night followed by some intense two person line drills. We focused on hook redirect and strike. After doing this routine several times with different partners your arms start to get heavy. Today I can feel it and I’m sure tomorrow will be better. This exercise has many benefits not only is it a good defense it also helps with understanding some of the twelve word formula. Hook defense and redirect followed with a straight punch stepping seven star while holding your opponents punching arm sensing their movement. All these aspects are mantis flavor. There are an unlimited number of strength training exercises that you can do, but to improve your mantis technique it helps to work on these sort of routines. Not to mention it is a lot of fun.

RibHit
fm
:cool:

sevenstar29
09-10-2003, 08:54 PM
Youngmantis are work out starts with hip circles both ways, then we rotat are legs at the hip joint, role shouders forwards and backwards, we also do silk realing, rotat nees, ankils, neck than we do crunches 25 nor...25 on each side...10 hip raises...10 dips on each side...then the final gut buster after all that is u balance urself on ur sitting bones and role out from side to side 10 times.
for the intermeadent class wedo somthing call ground shinfa thats is exlent:D

Mr.Binx
09-20-2003, 12:10 PM
I know this is a late reply. I've been gone awhile... my appendix began a rebellion against my central nervous system. After much rest and medication, the rebellion was quelled. Viva la antibiotics! :) Anyhoo, having been laying down or reclining for the past month my muscles have severely atrophied from lack of excercise. Currently I am doing a daily regimen of push-ups, crunches, and lots of stance work for at least 1 half-hour out of every day. The majority of my stance work entails cycling through the various stances and holding each for a 5 second count. My body is definately protesting the practice and has become refreshingly sore from the workouts. I'll take the occasional anti-inflammatory, but I am avoiding painkillers at all costs because I believe that one should be aware of what one's body is telling them (learned that lesson the hard way). My first time back at class was extremely painful. I wonder what my condition would have been had I not started excerising prior to showing back up. I have just started doing these excersises to get back into the swing of things this past week, but I think I would like continue these practices regardless as I see only benefit coming from them.

yu shan
09-21-2003, 09:17 PM
Mr.Binx,

Good to hear from you! ****, had no idea, drink water, take it easy... peace brother.

work out for mantis? This is loaded you know!

Our warm up is intense (25 min) mantis kicking (single and combos) maybe longfist kicking for beginners(12) then on to cond. drills for arms/body, two-person hand drills...numerous!Then kicking drills, again numerous, of course two-person. On to the exercises, 7*, plum flower, tan tui, etc. (single side and two-person) then forms work, single side and then the two-person to the form. And then.....conditioning! Some nights more than this, some we just do what we gotta do. This is hard to explain, feel free to visit. A typical night... can be worse.

bung bo
09-23-2003, 01:49 PM
geez, the pong lai warmup almost killed me when i first started. still gets my heart rate going. my thighs were so sore and my arms were very tender. but soon the soreness stopped and my arms hardened up. i'm in good shape now and feel fantastic. i've also learned how to stretch more effectively.