PDA

View Full Version : Of Wing Chun and MMA, whither JKD.

rogue
08-17-2003, 12:17 PM
With the WC people getting their stuff together in a big way as far as practical street moves and the MMA folks covering crosstraining in high return techniques and tactics, is there any room for JKD? What can be done to preserve JKD?

chen zhen
08-17-2003, 12:19 PM
Yes.
as simply as that.

rogue
08-17-2003, 12:23 PM
How so? Can you explain why some JKD guys are now using different names for what they do?:confused:

chen zhen
08-17-2003, 12:30 PM
I dunno. What i mean is that JKD is an approach to training more than a style. (as hopefully most knows)
JKD also does some different things than MMA would, like they incorporate Indonesian, Filipino, etc styles, Savate. So JKD offers plenty of things.
MMA is also more sports-focused, and JKD is street-survival focused.

rogue
08-17-2003, 01:11 PM
What i mean is that JKD is an approach to training more than a style. (as hopefully most knows)
JKD also does some different things than MMA would, like they incorporate Indonesian, Filipino, etc styles, Savate.

That's wanting have your cake and eat it too. If it's just an approach to training then what styles it draws from doesn't matter, and then MMA is JKD, CMA is very JKD. If I add a FMA to my TKD training am I starting to fall into JKD? If the styles do matter than JKD isn't just an approach it's a concrete style. Also to say it's an approach to training would indicate that the training would be somewhat similar to each other and that's not something that I've seen. Granted my experience may be shallow.

Of the three JKD schools that I used to attend all three now teach a specialty other than JKD. One now does WC, another BJJ and the last kickboxing. They still teach some JKD but it's not what their schools are really known for as much as they used to.

chen zhen
08-17-2003, 01:18 PM
U are absolutely right.

:)

fa_jing
08-17-2003, 05:00 PM
JKD was kind of a sham from the beginning. As we all know, lots of major founders collected from multiple systems. Bruce was one of the first to combine Eastern and Western systems, but that has become the norm in MMA. Bruce distinguished himself by bashing Kung Fu, bashing Wing Chun, bashing Karate, etc. MMA went through a phase like that, but is kind of outgrowing the whole issue. So there may be a future yet for JKD, as TMA bashers. That seems to be the angled being played up by some. OTOH June fan will be alive and well, it is now a complete system with various lineages.

rogue
08-17-2003, 07:28 PM
I don't think it was ever a sham. I think the early guys and many of the current guys were/are trying to make something good. I do think the entire "keep what is useful" thing got out of hand. Interesting observation about the JF/JKD guys. The other group that is moving in on what is a JKD strong point is streetfighting/combatives. Now we have Defendu, SCARS, Krav Maga, Kelly McCann and a ton of others out there where it was just a couple of JKD guys. In many ways the JKD crowd was correct on the very things that they're losing audiance in.

But you're right traditional styles have always been eclectic.

Ford Prefect
08-18-2003, 07:52 AM
The JKD school that I went to and will return to this winter, taught with a very high-contact feel for street moves. We'd do scenario training, multiple opponents sparring and tactics, weapons training, regular MMA-type sparring, other types of sparring, grappling (straight BJJ), and grappling with street and weapons in mind. I'd say it depends on the school.

yenhoi
08-18-2003, 09:13 AM
I don't think it was ever a sham. I think the early guys and many of the current guys were/are trying to make something good. I do think the entire "keep what is useful" thing got out of hand. Interesting observation about the JF/JKD guys. The other group that is moving in on what is a JKD strong point is streetfighting/combatives. Now we have Defendu, SCARS, Krav Maga, Kelly McCann and a ton of others out there where it was just a couple of JKD guys. In many ways the JKD crowd was correct on the very things that they're losing audiance in.

What can be done to preserve JKD?

Looks like there is enough preservation.

Whats the problem?

Why does it matter what you call what you train?

:rolleyes:

Dark Knight
08-18-2003, 10:04 AM
Go to www.straightblastgym.com They do JKD but it is BJJ, Boxing, MT for MMA. His videos are called funtional JKD. Matt Thorton has a strong background in Vunaks JKD and BJJ Black Belt.

So is there a place for JKD in MMA? If you call what they are doing is still JKD...sure

chen zhen
08-18-2003, 10:33 AM
The JKD school that I went to and will return to this winter, taught with a very high-contact feel for street moves. We'd do scenario training, multiple opponents sparring and tactics, weapons training, regular MMA-type sparring, other types of sparring, grappling (straight BJJ), and grappling with street and weapons in mind. I'd say it depends on the school.

Sounds a lot like my new school.:)
Vunak-JKD?

ShaolinTiger00
08-18-2003, 10:51 AM
Bruce was one of the first to combine Eastern and Western systems,

This is Incorrect.

There were Many before Bruce.

Kano, The Founders of Sambo & Sanshou, Maeda, Catch as Can wrestlers, Muay thai (boxing) Savate,

Ford Prefect
08-18-2003, 10:59 AM
Chen,

The guy is an instructor under Vunak but doesn't go under the PFS banner.