PDA

View Full Version : OT: what's wrong with my PC?

SevenStar
08-17-2003, 06:21 PM
Thursday I was able to listen to my MP3s, and now I can't!! all weekend, my sound has been screwed. I can hear my cd player, but not the mp3s, avis or flash games. What's going on?

Laughing Cow
08-17-2003, 06:25 PM
Sounds like either your Soundcard went or that you need to re-install some sound drivers/software.

What you using to listen to the MP3's and similar.

SifuAbel
08-17-2003, 06:25 PM
Double click on your volume control panel see if your wave setting is down or muted.

CrippledAvenger
08-17-2003, 06:36 PM
What program are you using to listen to your mp3s?

Check the volume settings in that.

rubthebuddha
08-18-2003, 09:37 AM
burn your old comp and put a new one on k's shopping list. :D

(along with more string cheese)

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-18-2003, 01:20 PM
if you'd stop pounding on it like a neanderthal every time it unexpectedly beeps you wouldn't have these problems.

Kristoffer
08-18-2003, 02:03 PM
I hate computers! When this is obsolete I will drag it out to the woods and ax it up!

SevenStar
08-18-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
if you'd stop pounding on it like a neanderthal every time it unexpectedly beeps you wouldn't have these problems.

you're probably right...

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-18-2003, 02:22 PM
actually my suggestions were taken so i figured i might as well take the opportunity to be a smartass.

it's got to be the volume settings or drivers. your sound card could be shi ttin out, but it would be really wierd that it would work otherwise. have you recently installed anything new around the time this started happening?

Shuul Vis
08-18-2003, 08:39 PM
The same thing happened to my friend and he died 7 days later.

SevenStar
08-18-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
actually my suggestions were taken so i figured i might as well take the opportunity to be a smartass.

it's got to be the volume settings or drivers. your sound card could be shi ttin out, but it would be really wierd that it would work otherwise. have you recently installed anything new around the time this started happening?

Nah, haven't installed a thing. I'm gonna reseat the sound card and maybe re-install the drivers.

SevenStar
08-18-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Shuul Vis

his hard drive crashed, huh?

Serpent
08-18-2003, 11:16 PM

LOL.

Even LOL'er!

:D

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-19-2003, 12:02 AM
lol ... yeah shuul definitely one upped me there.

yeah ... i been brain dead ... reseating and switching slots are good ideas man.

Shuul Vis
08-19-2003, 12:02 AM
Sevenstar,
no man, my friend went into convulsions and died. I know it was because of the sound problems on his computer. Think about it man, 100% of all people who have sound problems on thier computer die. Its true, prove me wrong.

Mr Punch
08-19-2003, 12:20 AM
LMAO @ this whole thread :D

Stranger
08-19-2003, 06:18 PM
7*,

Did you update the media player? I did and I can't play the exact type of files that you listed. I wondered if it was a security feature to protect copyrighted materials.

Can somebody tell me why every time I try to scan my computer for viruses it freezes immediately? I have to shut it down at the plug because no buttons work. I need help because I work using my computer, but it is serviced by my limited (read: nonexistant) computer skills. I am in a big crisis. My boss will kill me if I can't fix this mess.

Laughing Cow
08-19-2003, 06:21 PM
Stranger.

What AV soft you running?

Stranger
08-19-2003, 06:23 PM
Norton

Please, tell me you can help.

Serpent
08-19-2003, 06:25 PM
SevenStar won't be able to answer your questions. He's obviously dead.

Shuul's statistics remain 100% accurate.

Laughing Cow
08-19-2003, 06:27 PM
Not familiar with Norton, I am a strict McAfee person myself.

Sounds like your PC freezes, check if you got enough available memory and/or Disk-space.
Some of those softs can generate huge temp-files and logs.

Also check of it always freezes at the same location/file, you might have a corrupt track on the disc. (Scandisk, Defrag, etc.)

Also try to run the scan after a clean boot or in Safe-mode if your OS allows.

On general I run a full scan once a month only. Same time as I do maintenance on the PC.

Hope this helps.

Stranger
08-19-2003, 06:30 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a try. If anybody else can give Norton specific answers I'd appreciate it, otherwise I have to phone in sick and on top of that try to get a computer technician to come on a house call tomorrow. I don't have near enough money to do that and eat for the rest of the month.

Serpent
08-19-2003, 06:30 PM
Don't you cold b@stards care that 7* is dead!?